The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
I wouldn't be brave enough to cycle on the roads to where I work and that's mostly just country lanes. **** cycling through the city during rush hour, I wouldn't last long :lol:

I've been cycling recreationally for over a decade in total but I stopped when I came to uni.
It's very different in a city, a completely new world to somebody pedalling along down the country lanes of Yorkshire :tongue:
Original post by swirly
what is this?

I asked you, you said no :haughty:
Original post by SA-1
Lol yeah I think I'll pass the cycling thing for now

Yeah cyclists piss me off when driving. So you're best not doing it, I'm very sure I'm not alone in feeling like this :mad:
****, does anyone else sometimes get worried about getting old? Like, at times I think I just need to get my **** together and start actually trying to put an adult life together.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I asked you, you said no :haughty:

Let's be honest, some cyclists are absolute tools; not paying attention to cars around them and not giving respect to the rules of the road.
It only takes a small proportion of irresponsible cyclists for motorists to stereotype them as fools who shouldn't be on the road.

Most cyclists know exactly what they're doing; so much so that you'll probably drive right past and barely remember them. You remember the idiots that don't indicate and the ones that cycle in the middle of the road.

I would strongly wager that there is actually a much higher proportion of stupid drivers than stupid cyclists :smile:
Original post by TornadoGR4
****, does anyone else sometimes get worried about getting old? Like, at times I think I just need to get my **** together and start actually trying to put an adult life together.

All the time. Noticed it when I was about 22.
Original post by Wilfred Little
All the time. Noticed it when I was about 22.

Yeah, it's a bit unnerving thinking about the future. I'm very close to getting my career sorted, but the problem is that the career impacts & makes it a lot more difficult when it comes to meeting someone & wanting to start a family.

Time gets away from you sometimes and you're just left thinking "****, where did that go?". I'm too young to feel this old ffs

Constantly. When my Dad was my age he was married and owned a house ffs. I'll be lucky to have done either by the time i'm 40.

Time gets away from you sometimes and you're just left thinking "****, where did that go?". I'm too young to feel this old ffs

Tbh I've been feeling the same since I turned 18
It really hits home when virtually all the players you watched growing up as a kid are either retired, about to retire or in management.

I remember Rooney's debut at 16 like it was 5 minutes ago and he's 30 in a few months ffs.
Original post by sr90
It really hits home when virtually all the players you watched growing up as a kid are either retired, about to retire or in management.

I remember Rooney's debut at 16 like it was 5 minutes ago and he's 30 in a few months ffs.

I don't remember his debut, but I remember him at Everton. And Alan Smith banging them in for Leeds, he's 34 now!
I don't remember his debut, but I remember him at Everton. And Alan Smith banging them in for Leeds, he's 34 now!

I remember Smith's first season at Leeds as a fresh faced teenager. Kewell broke through around the same time.

Oh and Michael Bridges :lol:
Original post by sr90
I remember Smith's first season at Leeds as a fresh faced teenager. Kewell broke through around the same time.

Oh and Michael Bridges :lol:

Every game we sing about Dominic Matteo's goal against AC Milan in the Champions League in 2000

Dom Matteooooo
Scored a ****ing great goooal
In the San Sirooooo

:moon:
Cycling in the city is easy and quicker than driving, and all PT except tube. Depends on your pre/post tube journey time as well ofc. Nothing to really worry about from drivers, cycle lanes and bus lanes everywhere nowadays. When I am in traffic it's not hard to keep up, just accelerating from stand still is usually slower than cars, and hills are tiring.
The cyclist/drivers fights on YouTube are pretty joke sometimes.
Original post by Rk2k14
The cyclist/drivers fights on YouTube are pretty joke sometimes.

Mainly involving people who don't drive or cycle...
Original post by Lúcio
Mainly involving people who don't drive or cycle...

Which ones have you been watching?
Original post by SA-1
Does anyone here cycle to work/uni/school?

Been considering it recently, it'll take me around an hour.

Pros:-
I'll save the £130ish I spend per month on my oyster.
It'll start my day off with exercise of some sort.
Would also up my stamina (which I would want to get back in to sports)
Wouldn't really get caught up in delays on the train (not that it happens, but when it does it ****s you over)
Wouldn't have people up in my face on the jubilee line.
Won't roast on the trains in the summer too

Cons:-
Theres that possibility of getting ****ed by the London traffic..
Weather could be a bitch to me some days too.

Summer weather, ideal. Buy a nice used road bike and a proper bag/rack attachment. Spend at least 200 - that's 1.5 months of your oyster. Resale is high - I bought mine for 130 and could easily get 150 for it today. Get familiar with your bike, get slick tires fitted for summer, get used to gear changes etc. Wear a helmet.

Traffic ****ing isn't really something to be afraid of. Give it a trial run to see how you like it. Avoid hills in your route. Don't be afraid of tiring - if you do, you can just park and get on tube. As for weather just keep a Mac in a bag type jacket, and wear cycling clothes not work clothes on your route.

I used to cycle 9 miles to winter placement, I bought my bike just for it, and it was a great decision. The first day I went 4.5 miles and the hills had tired me so I got on a bus. The next day I wasn't tired at all after the 18m there and back. I wasn't in good shape at all, body just responds and it's not even that demanding really, just hills kill your strength.
Anybody used Football Break.com before? Want to go to a Dortmund or Atleitco game next season and just wondering if anyone knows anything about them?

Latest