The Student Room Group

CILEX Graduate Route

Hi there,

I have done a search on this forum, and while I can see that CILEX has been mentioned I can't find a lot on what people think about CILEX or anyone currently doing it.

I am currently in my final year at a RG uni, and during my 1st and 2nd years consistently achieved 2:1/1st. I am involved in pro-bono, have work experience and completed a summer internship.

I did not secure a TC and self-funding the LPC is realistically not an option for me.

I have decided to follow the CILEX route - this suits me due to the firms I would like to target (i.e. high street) and will enable me to combine work and study while still potentially qualifying 3 years after graduation.

Is anyone on here currently doing the CILEX graduate fast track? I am interested in what practice units you chose and the method of study - did you do it through a local college/uni or by distance learning?

Also, as you are expected to study client care + 2 practice units, did you study all these at the same time? or consecutively?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.
Reply 1
Does anyone have any experience with CILEX?
Original post by moanna
Does anyone have any experience with CILEX?

Only as an employer.
Reply 3
What are your thoughts? Would you recommend it as a route into law?
Original post by moanna
What are your thoughts? Would you recommend it as a route into law?

First of all, there are at present few if any opportunities in the largest City firms. It the last 30 years or so, the predecessors of CILEX have died out of the City.

I have become very keen on it. Clearly you need a foot in the door of a law firm. That is the most important thing. Moreover, changes in the way CILEX operates means that you need the effective support of that law firm.

As the principal bottleneck in qualifying as a solicitor is obtaining a training contract, anything that avoids the need to do so is a major advantage. CILEX is a qualification in its own right but it also enables qualification as a solicitor without a TC and with the LPC taken (either part-time or full-time) at a point when one is much more able to bear the financial risk of doing so.

Your timing isn't right. If everything goes to plan you will qualify one year later than someone undertaking the traditional route.

Say, one year to get your CILEX exams which is also your first year of work; two years post-exam work experience; one year full time LPC= 4 years.
Reply 5
Thank you for your reply. You have confirmed a lot of what I believed already and have given me a lot to think about.

I am not sure at the moment if the LPC post CILEX is something I would want to do, but it is good to know the option is there and that I am not closing any doors.

Thanks again - I am surprised that more people on this forum do not have an opinion about this growing alternative route into law. Maybe it is because it is not popular with city firms.
Original post by moanna
Thank you for your reply. You have confirmed a lot of what I believed already and have given me a lot to think about.

I am not sure at the moment if the LPC post CILEX is something I would want to do, but it is good to know the option is there and that I am not closing any doors.

Thanks again - I am surprised that more people on this forum do not have an opinion about this growing alternative route into law. Maybe it is because it is not popular with city firms.

Go onto Trainee Solicitor and look up Noel Linge - who runs CILEX and is a great advocate of it - also check out Clifford Chance - I recently was at the Diverscity Law fair - I spoke to Noel and got the impression that he was very impressed with CC due to their attitude to alternative routes into law - which I took to mean included CILEX
Reply 7
Original post by happyinthehaze
Go onto Trainee Solicitor and look up Noel Linge - who runs CILEX and is a great advocate of it - also check out Clifford Chance - I recently was at the Diverscity Law fair - I spoke to Noel and got the impression that he was very impressed with CC due to their attitude to alternative routes into law - which I took to mean included CILEX

Ah fantastic - lots more info on there. Thanks for the tip!
I'm a third year law graduate, and I've deferred my place on the LPC course because I'm doing CILEx before the LPC to begin with as then your exempt from training contracts.

I've had work experience in regional and national firms, pro bono throughout my time at university. Applied for a lot of training contracts, one interview that came to nothing. I'm on track for a 2.1 (hence why I'm wide awake during exam time). However I too don't have the money to fund my LPC.

I'm lucky that my university this year introduced CILEx imbedded in our Law LLB degree. So I've taken Civil litigation and Wills and probate with client care included. I'm so glad I did this, as it has honestly boosted my CV that I can hit the ground running.

I recently have been offered a full time legal job straight after university with I can carry on my CILEx qualification and they are looking into funding my LPC.

I highly recommend the CILEx route only because I have friends who have finished the LPC and are stuck in legal admin jobs, because even though the LPC is still practical to some extent employers still see it that your learning from books. I only say this to some extent, as I also have a friend who has got a training contract from a top firm.

It depends what you think is best for you, either way if you the LPC will always be there for you to do. Every individual is different so you need to weigh up your own pro's and con's :smile:
Hello,

I wanted to discuss the Cilex route as there are various routes open to me.

For a background summary:

I am 20 years old and was one of the first candidates to apply for an advanced legal Apprenticeship in Legal Services in 2013 which I have now completed. I have been working in two law firms since I was 18.

I am currently continuing with Level 3 Cilex with two units left of the Level 3 Diploma in Cilex.

I now have two options..

1) complete Level 3 - complete level 6 (degree equivalent) and then do a GDL - and then do LPC.

or..

2) Do a Cilex LLB course via distance learning which enables me to get a LLB Hons - and then do LPC.

Clearly the key factors are the timing and the cost. With the Cilex route I do not need to acquire a training contract as the qualified work experience is the experience we need to show as evidence.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which route is best to take? Any advice particularly form law graduates or people doing the Cilex route as an alternative to university would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David
Original post by David Webb12
Hello,

I wanted to discuss the Cilex route as there are various routes open to me.

For a background summary:

I am 20 years old and was one of the first candidates to apply for an advanced legal Apprenticeship in Legal Services in 2013 which I have now completed. I have been working in two law firms since I was 18.

I am currently continuing with Level 3 Cilex with two units left of the Level 3 Diploma in Cilex.

I now have two options..

1) complete Level 3 - complete level 6 (degree equivalent) and then do a GDL - and then do LPC.

or..

2) Do a Cilex LLB course via distance learning which enables me to get a LLB Hons - and then do LPC.

Clearly the key factors are the timing and the cost. With the Cilex route I do not need to acquire a training contract as the qualified work experience is the experience we need to show as evidence.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which route is best to take? Any advice particularly form law graduates or people doing the Cilex route as an alternative to university would be much appreciated.

Thanks

David

Why do you need the GDL?

Surely you just do the middle of these these routes?

http://www.cilexlawschool.ac.uk/prospective_students/qualify_as_solicitor/the_CILEx_route
Completion of the Level 6 will not complete the full academic training that the SRA require. I will need to "top up" the rest of the units required.

This can be done by completion of a GDL as this will be quicker.

Or I could do Cilex single subject diplomas.

I have been encouraged to do GDL? have you completed this?
Completion of the Level 6 will not complete the full academic training that the SRA require. I will need to "top up" the rest of the units required.

This can be done by completion of a GDL as this will be quicker.

Or I could do Cilex single subject diplomas.

I have been encouraged to do GDL? have you completed this?

No.

If you do your level 6 in 3 of the 7 core subjects then you would have only 4 single subject diplomas to do. The cost would be significantly less and it would be quicker. You are looking at about 21 months for a part-time GDL.
Original post by nulli tertius
No.

If you do your level 6 in 3 of the 7 core subjects then you would have only 4 single subject diplomas to do. The cost would be significantly less and it would be quicker. You are looking at about 21 months for a part-time GDL.

Thanks for your quick replies!

Are you suggesting that I do 4 units at level 6 over 1 year.

What is the difference in timescales between completing Level 6 and doing GDL?

Cheers!
Thanks for your quick replies!

Are you suggesting that I do 4 units at level 6 over 1 year.

What is the difference in timescales between completing Level 6 and doing GDL?

Cheers!

Obviously you can do the Level 6 diploma at your own pace. They suggest two years for this, compared with 1 year for a GDL. Obviously GDL students will be used to studying at "university" level and you would be picking up impetus. Moreover the GDL is purely academic, whilst the level 6 diploma has practice units attached because obviously that is all the training you get and once you have the relevant work experience you will be a qualified legal exec.

However the single subjects don't have any practice elements attached. I don't see why you can't do 4 in a year.
Reply 15
I know this thread is old but i am looking to start this now. I was in exactly the same position as you snd wonder how its going? Would you recommend?
Strongly would not recommend the cilex to anyone thinking of doing it. Unfortunately legality stops me from commenting anymore from a friend who has been a student for years avoid cilex route completly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending