The Student Room Group

A2 AQA ICT June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovebombay

No haven't seen this. Thanks for sharing
If they ask what is a data warehouse it will most likely be a 4 mark question. Putting "its a storage facility for large quantities of data" will only get you one mark.
I don't even know why I attended my ICT lessons tbh!
Original post by Error404OLE
If they ask what is a data warehouse it will most likely be a 4 mark question. Putting "its a storage facility for large quantities of data" will only get you one mark.

In that case you would give an example and advantages/disadvantages, right?
Original post by BritishRose

I would think so, yes. Seeing as most questions they give marks for the point-----explanation-----example. Maybe adv/disadv if needed.
A data warehouse is a storage facility for large quantities of data. Not sure about the other bit, sorry.

When they say appearance of one system they could be talking about server virtualisation
(edited 8 years ago)

What would you use as an example?
Original post by Historyfrenchfan
What would you use as an example?

Personally I would use Google's data warehouse Mesa as an example.

Non Adv or Dis just a good definition and possibly an example
(edited 8 years ago)
Personally I would use Google's data warehouse Mesa as an example.

Would Access be a good example?
Original post by Error404OLE
Non Adv or Dis just a good definition and possibly an example

What would constitute as a good definition?
What would constitute as a good definition?

Probably define the term, give example and then link to the UCDM case study to put answer in context i suppose
Can someone define batch processing please because for some reason i always thought its to do with printing :/....but obviously not
Original post by Sarah5152
Can someone define batch processing please because for some reason i always thought its to do with printing :/....but obviously not

Batch processing isn't in the spec for info 3 is it? But batch processing is a method of data processing where simililar transactions are saved up and processed at a convenient time. For example, printing bank statements or utility bills overnight or processing payroll slips.
Original post by Sarah5152

That's info2 :smile:
Transaction processing systems is in info 3 though.
Original post by ThatGuyRik
That's info2 :smile:
Transaction processing systems is in info 3 though.

what about transaction processing systems do you need to know for info 3?
Original post by Historyfrenchfan
what about transaction processing systems do you need to know for info 3?

Well it links in with the different levels of task ie operational level of an organisation more rather than strategic/tactical. Have a look at the book which goes in-dept.
Data warehouse:

A data warehouse is a relational database that is designed for query and analysis. This is mostly done using the data that it has stored from past transactions. Its main purpose is to separate the analysis workload from the transaction workload and therefore helps the organisation to understand data from various sources - once data is entered into the warehouse, it should not change.

Advantages:

- Users have access to large amounts of information
- Data within data warehouses can be easier to analyse than analysing data in seperate locations individually
- A data warehouse makes it easier to provide secure access to those that have a legitimate need to access specific data

Disadvantages:

- Before data can be stored within the warehouse, it must be cleaned, loaded or extracted - which is time consuming and complicated if data is from legacy systems
- Users must be sufficiently trained to use them effectively
- Warehouses are difficult to maintain; there will be ongoing maintenance costs.

That's what I have for data warehouses, hopefully its all right.

What are people revising in terms of emerging technologies and social networking? Either of these two topics could be the 20 marker and it'd be nice if somebody could list a few examples of emerging tech and pros and cons of the tech and social networking
Any 20 marker predictions?
Any 20 marker predictions?

Emerging technlogies and social networking would be the general predictions IMO, but maybe something about the different ICT systems and reliability and testing? What does everyone else think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending