The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OxSarah
Hey guys!I'am an Italian Oxford hopeful and my chosen course is Medicine.Is there anyone else considering it? :biggrin:
The educational assessment,here in Italy,is certainly different from yours in the UK.We have a grading scale going from 0 (lowest score) to 10 (highest score,as A*) in each subject so my current grades are : 10 (A*) Chemistry ; 10 (A*) Biology ; 9 (A) English Literature and 9 (A) Physics.
Predicted grades are : 10 (A*) Chemistry,10 (A*) Biology,10 (A*) English L. ; 9 (A) Physics
College: Corpus Christi,Christ Church or Magdalen

I'm considering Med too! I'm loving Worcester atm but I haven't looked round yet :-)
Original post by HannahC-H
I'm considering Med too! I'm loving Worcester atm but I haven't looked round yet :-)

Are you thinking of going to open days? :smile:
Original post by LamantChenille
Hey!

I'm not sure what else I'd want to read about if I'm honest, but I just wanted to let you know that I read your blog post on Modern Language interviews amongst others and it was so helpful. Thanks for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it! :smile:

Ah no problem! Glad to help :smile:
Original post by OxSarah
Are you thinking of going to open days? :smile:

Yeah I'm going on the 1st July, you? :h:
Yeah I'm going on the 1st July, you? :h:

I'd like to but I'm afraid I won't be there in July :frown: I was thinking of coming in September but Oxford is open to public on the 18th and I have IELTS exam the next day soo it's definitely a mess!
Original post by buzzfeed23
Is anyone here applying for medicine? If so, have you entered any Oxford medicine essay competitions?

Yes I'm a prospective medic. No I haven't entered any competitions as I didn't know of their existence before you mentioned them. But I'm presuming you entered a few, how did you do?
I would deeply appreciate anyone who can provide the answer to this question:
For medicine, is it easier to get into oxford or Cambridge? Cambridge have roughly 250 places to oxfords 150 (based on last years figures) but there is a higher applicant:tongue:lace ratio at cambridge than at oxford. My main priority is to go to Oxbridge as I want to pursue an academic career in medicine at the top universities. I received 12 A*s at GCSE and hope to average at least 90% UMS across my best 3 AS levels. Any advice on where to apply, oxford or cambridge? Also to which college. I was thinking Trinity at cambridge or somewhere like Christ church at oxford, basically a large, sporty, grand college with a good choir.

Thank you in advance.
Reply 987
Original post by Lucilou101
The rooms are generally very good sizes - everyone gets a sink and a fridge in their room.

Most people share bathrooms/showers between around 4 people. However there is a new building being finished by September which will have all ensuite rooms and kitchens on each floor.

If you have any other specific questions let me know :smile:

Thank you so much! You've been so helpful!

For a degree like medicine that takes 6 years is accommodation provided for the duration of the degree? Also does the college fee mentioned here : http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/fees/college include rent per week or is it just the cost of the tutors/ porters etc ?? Is the cost of living really high- do most people cook or get food in the dining hall?
Original post by SLMS
Thank you so much! You've been so helpful!

For a degree like medicine that takes 6 years is accommodation provided for the duration of the degree? Also does the college fee mentioned here : http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/fees/college include rent per week or is it just the cost of the tutors/ porters etc ?? Is the cost of living really high- do most people cook or get food in the dining hall?

The college fee is only paid by Overseas students and is in addition to rent and food etc, it covers academic facilities and other facilities so things like tutors as you mentioned.

Rent at Univ is around £3600 for the year, so £1200 a term. Food in hall is around £3-4 a meal, but you can get cheaper if you go for salads or soups etc.

Kitchen provision is fairly good in Univ, you will normally have access to at least a microwave, but there are proper kitchens dotted around. Once the new building is finished, that will have fully kitted out kitchens on each floor as well. You are also allowed a kettle in your room, so can make most food like sandwiches, hot drinks, pot noodles etc without having to go anywhere :smile:

Most people tend to eat lunch in hall, but this does vary a lot. It's completely up to you how much or how little you eat there. Hall is paid using a top-up system, so if you don't eat there you don't lose any money.

I spend around £500 a term on food, but I do tend to buy a lot of takeaways or go out for lunch etc so this may not be very representative. If you budget well you can definitely spend less over the term if you make smart food choices :smile:

Accommodation wise for Medicine - you definitely get accommodation for the first three years. Then I believe the course works in that you have to re-apply to Oxford for the clinical 3 years. If you then came back to Univ, I believe they offer you first year on-site, and then you can live in the off-site annexe for the last 2 years. By this point though you may prefer to rent a house of your own and live out :smile:
Reply 989
The college fee is only paid by Overseas students and is in addition to rent and food etc, it covers academic facilities and other facilities so things like tutors as you mentioned.

Rent at Univ is around £3600 for the year, so £1200 a term. Food in hall is around £3-4 a meal, but you can get cheaper if you go for salads or soups etc.

Kitchen provision is fairly good in Univ, you will normally have access to at least a microwave, but there are proper kitchens dotted around. Once the new building is finished, that will have fully kitted out kitchens on each floor as well. You are also allowed a kettle in your room, so can make most food like sandwiches, hot drinks, pot noodles etc without having to go anywhere :smile:

Most people tend to eat lunch in hall, but this does vary a lot. It's completely up to you how much or how little you eat there. Hall is paid using a top-up system, so if you don't eat there you don't lose any money.

I spend around £500 a term on food, but I do tend to buy a lot of takeaways or go out for lunch etc so this may not be very representative. If you budget well you can definitely spend less over the term if you make smart food choices :smile:

Accommodation wise for Medicine - you definitely get accommodation for the first three years. Then I believe the course works in that you have to re-apply to Oxford for the clinical 3 years. If you then came back to Univ, I believe they offer you first year on-site, and then you can live in the off-site annexe for the last 2 years. By this point though you may prefer to rent a house of your own and live out :smile:

Thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH! You've been SUCH a help and if hypothetically by some miracle i get into Univ/ Oxford, I'd love to meet up with you! Thank you again!!! <3 :biggrin:
Original post by SLMS
Thank you thank you thank you SO MUCH! You've been SUCH a help and if hypothetically by some miracle i get into Univ/ Oxford, I'd love to meet up with you! Thank you again!!! <3 :biggrin:

My friend who does Medicine at Univ said he's happy to answer any questions you have, let me know if you want and I shall PM you his email address :smile:
Reply 991
My friend who does Medicine at Univ said he's happy to answer any questions you have, let me know if you want and I shall PM you his email address :smile:

Oh my gosh that would be so helpful!! THANK YOU!!!!! You've been amazing!!!!

Hi Louicilou101, do you happen to know which colleges have a reputation of being particuarly less academically driven? I realise Oxford on the whole is really intensive but I've heard that some colleges, like Corpus Christi, are a bit more demanding than others, thank you!
Original post by OxSarah
I'd like to but I'm afraid I won't be there in July :frown: I was thinking of coming in September but Oxford is open to public on the 18th and I have IELTS exam the next day soo it's definitely a mess!

Hey if you want me to take some notes for you or ask any specific questions then I'd be happy to! My school is taking a few of us and we have a residential so I'll have a chance to talk to admissions tutors and those who interview privately before the open day itself :idea:
Original post by Jess_x
Hi Louicilou101, do you happen to know which colleges have a reputation of being particuarly less academically driven? I realise Oxford on the whole is really intensive but I've heard that some colleges, like Corpus Christi, are a bit more demanding than others, thank you!

There's a section on Worcester's alternative prospectus which makes it out to be a little more relaxed http://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/files/page/worcester_college_alternative_prospectus.pdf
There's a section on Worcester's alternative prospectus which makes it out to be a little more relaxed http://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/files/page/worcester_college_alternative_prospectus.pdf

Thank you :smile:
I'm currently toying between applying to Oxford or Cambridge but possibly Oxford...
GCSEs: 14 A*
AS predicted: AAAA. so far I've only see maths model answers but fairly sure for 100% in that
Course: Considering PPE instead of law. Might do a conversion course.
College: Balliol just 'cause.
Original post by Jess_x

There are a lot of stereotypes surrounding the intensity of work, such as all Merton students being super hard working and having no social lives. I really wouldn't think much of these - different tutors will have different expectations but it's not a college wide thing and all colleges and tutors will expect you to work hard :smile:
There are a lot of stereotypes surrounding the intensity of work, such as all Merton students being super hard working and having no social lives. I really wouldn't think much of these - different tutors will have different expectations but it's not a college wide thing and all colleges and tutors will expect you to work hard :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Who else is going to the open day next week (July 1st)? I'm so nervous. I have gotten so many mixed signals about GCSEs and it's starting to confuse me so much.

Latest

Trending

Trending