The Student Room Group

What's Exeter uni like for maths?

Exeter is my insurance choice and I'd like to know what it's like there to study maths. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Rhyssmith
Exeter is my insurance choice and I'd like to know what it's like there to study maths. Thanks.

I only had one student in recent years which went to Exeter.
The course there is typical of mid Russell group University and best resembles Kings College London
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
I only had one student in recent years which went to Exeter.
The course there is typical of mid Russell group University and best resembles Kings College London

Thank you. I'm hoping Bath will let me in with A*A*B. Not sure if they will though :frown:
Reply 3
Thank you. I'm hoping Bath will let me in with A*A*B. Not sure if they will though :frown:

I hope it works well for you, otherwise I would advise loads more maths and a gap year.
probably awful
Reply 5
Original post by onimusha370
probably awful

How come?
How come?

Most people on TSR believe that anything UK university other than Cambridge Oxford Warwick Imperial is terrible for maths. It is true that those universities are very excellt universities, and while it will sound incredibly arrogant and pompous to say other universities aren't worth going to, fact is, they might actually not be considering how damn expensive tuition fees are!

If you end up having to go to Exeter I would advise just taking a gap year (or two) and doing loads, and loads, and loads of maths and see if you can get into one of the COWI maths institutes
I did my maths degree at Exeter. It is a very good uni and the course is very well structured and most of the lecturers Ive had were very good teachers.

The only aspect which you might want to worry about is whether Exeter is suited to your taste in mathematics. Exeter's world leading research is in fluid dynamics, magnetohydrodynamics and climate systems (in fact I would say you might even be better off here than COWI if dynamical models of climate systems interest you).

Now being an a level student thats very difficult to predict (I actually started in physics). I myself went the pure route, in which Exeter is almost entirely concerned with algebraic number theory, although there is a smallish group that work on topological dynamics. As far as course content goes, some modules are a little slacker compared to COWI as many people might have suspected (though the interested student can make up for it themselves, believe me! Ask and ye shall receive), but that doesnt go for all of them. In particular, my third year course in Galois theory was essentually identical to the same module at Cambridge (where they call it Part II rather than third year, but its the same).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Exeter is one of the best of the Russel Group universities.Very well run and managed,and with an excellent student life.
Reply 9
Original post by FireGarden
I did my maths degree at Exeter. It is a very good uni and the course is very well structured and most of the lecturers Ive had were very good teachers.

The only aspect which you might want to worry about is whether Exeter is suited to your taste in mathematics. Exeter's world leading research is in fluid dynamics, magnetohydrodynamics and climate systems (in fact I would say you might even be better off here than COWI if dynamical models of climate systems interest you).

Now being an a level student thats very difficult to predict (I actually started in physics). I myself went the pure route, in which Exeter is almost entirely concerned with algebraic number theory, although there is a smallish group that work on topological dynamics. As far as course content goes, some modules are a little slacker compared to COWI as many people might have suspected (though the interested student can make up for it themselves, believe me! Ask and ye shall receive), but that doesnt go for all of them. In particular, my third year course in Galois theory was essentually identical to the same module at Cambridge (where they call it Part II rather than third year, but its the same).

Thanks. What do you want to do after your degree? I want to go into finance and was wondering what sort of links the university has with financial institutions?
Thanks. What do you want to do after your degree? I want to go into finance and was wondering what sort of links the university has with financial institutions?

After the bachelors I stayed to do a masters. I want to go on to a PhD, hopefully something around homological algebra and representation theory (my masters thesis is on such a topic). I guess I'm not the best model :P

As far as finance based careers: Exeter has a specific Financial Mathematics masters degree, and has links/sponsorships with Deloitte and KPMG, two very big financial firms. If you enjoy the statistical side of mathematics then you could look into actuarial work. One of my friends (who in fact won the prize for top performing student of statistics in the graduating cohort) is currently qualifying as an actuary for some London based company - she's earning more to train than most graduates do to start! something in the region of 26k at the moment.

At Exeter we have the "career zone", a service specifically for all things career related. They offer, or can help you get, internship opportunities at an incredible number of places which is often invaluable to getting a job later on (typically if you do well, they'll likely hire you back). I know of a few people who were actively offered jobs by Renishaw after having interned there. It's an engineering company who apparently deal with more technical things, since the friends I mention were a physicist and a computer scientist. Now that I think about it, my actuary friend interned for her now employer the summer before she got the training position.

As far as my friends' experience goes (since I'm aiming to go academic.. always was the stupid one), the ones who were proactive about their careers are doing extraordinarily well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by FireGarden
After the bachelors I stayed to do a masters. I want to go on to a PhD, hopefully something around homological algebra and representation theory (my masters thesis is on such a topic). I guess I'm not the best model :P

As far as finance based careers: Exeter has a specific Financial Mathematics masters degree, and has links/sponsorships with Deloitte and KPMG, two very big financial firms. If you enjoy the statistical side of mathematics then you could look into actuarial work. One of my friends (who in fact won the prize for top performing student of statistics in the graduating cohort) is currently qualifying as an actuary for some London based company - she's earning more to train than most graduates do to start! something in the region of 26k at the moment.

At Exeter we have the "career zone", a service specifically for all things career related. They offer, or can help you get, internship opportunities at an incredible number of places which is often invaluable to getting a job later on (typically if you do well, they'll likely hire you back). I know of a few people who were actively offered jobs by Renishaw after having interned there. It's an engineering company who apparently deal with more technical things, since the friends I mention were a physicist and a computer scientist. Now that I think about it, my actuary friend interned for her now employer the summer before she got the training position.

As far as my friends' experience goes (since I'm aiming to go academic.. always was the stupid one), the ones who were proactive about their careers are doing extraordinarily well.

Sounds cool :P I read a bit on homological algebra in a book I decided to read before applying :P

I don't really wish to go down the actuarial route and would prefer to do something with calculus instead. I know there are jobs available where calculus is used in finance.
Hi, so where did you study maths? How did you end up to this conclusion?
Reply 13
Original post by Necrofantasia
Most people on TSR believe that anything UK university other than Cambridge Oxford Warwick Imperial is terrible for maths. It is true that those universities are very excellt universities, and while it will sound incredibly arrogant and pompous to say other universities aren't worth going to, fact is, they might actually not be considering how damn expensive tuition fees are!

If you end up having to go to Exeter I would advise just taking a gap year (or two) and doing loads, and loads, and loads of maths and see if you can get into one of the COWI maths institutes

lmao COWI is irrelevant these days, its all about knowing someone or going to a good uni and getting a high first or 2:1. Exeter is probably better than them for fluid dynamics and **** anyway. COWI are amazing institutes and people who are planning on taking maths at uni should aim for those places but stop acing like Exeter is dog **** compared to those when it clearly isn't. I'd say its barely behind warwick when it comes to course and teaching quality, alongside places like durham and ucl. Prestige doesn't matter anymore loser, as long as you go to a good school then you're good.

Quick Reply

Latest