The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mmms95
June 2014 ial question 5a
markscheme https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f067571766...%20Edexcel.pdf

qustion paper https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f067571766...%20Edexcel.pdf

also questions 7a, how to you simplify 720^3/2 x2/9 ???? calc doesn't give exact ans???

and question8d, i don't understand why they have used 2i+j+3k as the point a i thought A in the vector equation of a line is a point on the line, but they have used the direction vector of it???

doing 7a now, not sure how you got to that though
In the FP3 book it says to use substitution for integral types such as 1/sqrt(a²+x²). However, these are given in the formula book so really no substitution is needed? Also the Edexcel FP3 book states that these aren't given in the Formula Booklet (even though they are??)? Am I going mad?
Original post by philrock7
In the FP3 book it says to use substitution for integral types such as 1/sqrt(a²+x²). However, these are given in the formula book so really no substitution is needed? Also the Edexcel FP3 book states that these aren't given in the Formula Booklet (even though they are??)? Am I going mad?

substitution is only there for deriving, if the question asks you to
Original post by mmms95
substitution is only there for deriving, if the question asks you to

Okay, thanks!
In June 2013R,
It says
"The point p lies on the ellipse...(equation)
N is the foot of the perpendicular from P to the line x=8."

How can you tell if they mean 'the normal from point P meets the line x=8 at N) or if they mean 'PN is perpendicular to the line x=8) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mmms95
June 2014 ial question 5a
markscheme https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f067571766...%20Edexcel.pdf

qustion paper https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f067571766...%20Edexcel.pdf

also questions 7a, how to you simplify 720^3/2 x2/9 ???? calc doesn't give exact ans???

and question8d, i don't understand why they have used 2i+j+3k as the point a i thought A in the vector equation of a line is a point on the line, but they have used the direction vector of it???

For 7a), they tell you it's in the form A*sqrt(5), divide your calc answer by square root 5 to get the answer :smile:
last minute tips for tomorrow
Reply 607
All hyperbolic calculus is the same as its trig counterpart, right? No need for Osborn's rule?
Reply 609
Original post by BP_Tranquility
In June 2013R,
It says
"The point p lies on the ellipse...(equation)
N is the foot of the perpendicular from P to the line x=8."

How can you tell if they mean 'the normal from point P meets the line x=8 at N) or if they mean 'PN is perpendicular to the line x=8) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a terribly worded question.

Look further on the question, it says the locus is a circle. If it was the case in bold, then the locus would be some big curve. If it's the second (correct) case, you can visualise it in your head being at its max and min points, and you find its greatest y value is 3, and it meets the x axis at 1 and 7 (hence radius of 3 here also).
Reply 610

Use u = arctan(2x/3) and v' = 1 and attempt integration by parts.
Original post by Elcor
All hyperbolic calculus is the same as its trig counterpart, right? No need for Osborn's rule?

Well there's the derivative of coshx being sinhx rather than -sinhx
This also means that the integral of tanhx is ln(coshx) rather than ln(sechx)
There might be a couple others but I can't remember any

edit: I think sechx has the differential -sechxtanhx also
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 612

Did you forget to divide your answer by the coefficient of x?
Original post by Elcor

As far as I am aware Osborn's rule applies only to trig identities, not integrals. Also the counterparts are not always the same.

ie

sec(x)tan(x) dx=sec(x)+C\int \sec(x)\tan(x) \ dx = \sec(x) + C , but sech(x)tanh(x) dx=sech(x)+C \int sech(x) \tanh(x) \ dx = -sech(x) + C .
Reply 614
Anyone think this Fp3 is gonna be as filthy as last years paper?
Original post by Elcor

What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boop.

Probably worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 617
Original post by ThatPerson
As far as I am aware Osborn's rule applies only to trig identities, not integrals. Also the counterparts are not always the same.

ie

sec(x)tan(x) dx=sec(x)+C\int \sec(x)\tan(x) \ dx = \sec(x) + C , but sech(x)tanh(x) dx=sech(x)+C \int sech(x) \tanh(x) \ dx = -sech(x) + C .

Well, that one case seems like Osborn's rule applies. In a past paper I did today, you had to differentiate cothx (I think). This isn't given in the formula booklet and you were meant to use the differential of cotx, which is give,
Reply 618
Original post by Boop.

hopefully very hard ...
Original post by Boop.
Did you forget to divide your answer by the coefficient of x?

I got x arctanx (2x/3) - integral of 6x/9+4x^2 but don't know what to do to get the final answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending