The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6320
Original post by Rk2k14
Like Wilder and Whyte and all them thinking they are on top the world. Same with Degeale, need to sit the **** down.

Nah whyte has got his head on his shoulders he ain't going on as if he can beat klitschko.
GGG has blasted Ward, while the latter has suggested Froch was never interested in a rematch.
Mayweather claiming he would beat Triple G.
By all means fight him, don't think any one of use would complain.
Ward king of the division right now. Smith didn't land anything meaningful bar that right hand in the sixth, and Ward rode that with ease.
Broner is a numpty. He's let the "next Floyd Mayweather" talk get to his head and trying so badly to imitate him. Porter fully deserved the win although it wasn't a great fight.

Smith was always going to lose but as always, fought bravely but was baffled by this weight issue. His purse has taken a hit for a fight he was never going to win so the money becomes even more important but he's chucked some of it away with this weight problem before the fight. Ward, I hope, faces some of his other title holders to unify the division rather than go up to light-heavy permanently.
Smith's an idiot. If he was only coming for the paycheck, why not make weight to get 100% of the money. Unprofessional as ****.

Broner-Porter was a disappointing fight. Broner is just not active enough. The only time he threw was when he attempted to catch Porter coming in. Not good enough.
Happy fathers day from showtime and el chino.......

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Smith's an idiot. If he was only coming for the paycheck, why not make weight to get 100% of the money. Unprofessional as ****.

Agreed. Nothing worse than a catchweight fight imho.
Ward getting $2m to fight Smith is a disgrace. Easiest payday in the history of sport. Paul Smith isn't even top 5 SMW in Britain..

On a serious note, why doesn't Ward get the recognition Floyd does? There's almost nothing between them skill-wise, both in great divisions, and Ward's a bigger guy and a better talker. They're both relatively boring to watch so how is Floyd earning $50m / fight.. Because he talks more smack? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Let's hope we get to see Ward / Froch (no chance) or GGG / Kovalev because outside of those he's not going to be in a competitive fight for a looonngg time
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jonnysims

On a serious note, why doesn't Ward get the recognition Floyd does?

2 wards: Al Haymon
On a serious note, why doesn't Ward get the recognition Floyd does?

Floyd has so many more 'names' on his resume than Ward. One reason for that is because the welterweight divisions are stacked with top fighters. But Floyd's done it in five divisions. He could have stayed at 140 his whole career if he wanted, but his big fights have come at 147 and 154. Ward should have moved up to 175 as soon as he beat Froch - he had nothing left to prove at SMW. Instead he made Chad Dawson suck down. Besides those two points, Floyd sells himself better. He also had that one huge fight (Oscar) that made him a star. No one can really do that for Ward.
George Groves and Badou Jack on August 22.
Floyd has so many more 'names' on his resume than Ward. One reason for that is because the welterweight divisions are stacked with top fighters. But Floyd's done it in five divisions. He could have stayed at 140 his whole career if he wanted, but his big fights have come at 147 and 154. Ward should have moved up to 175 as soon as he beat Froch - he had nothing left to prove at SMW. Instead he made Chad Dawson suck down. Besides those two points, Floyd sells himself better. He also had that one huge fight (Oscar) that made him a star. No one can really do that for Ward.

True, if there was a pot of gold waiting for Ward at light heavy though I'm sure he'd move up because he's certainly big enough. I'd like to see the Kovalev fight (who wouldn't), I can't see Stevenson beating him though. I mean does anyone really think Adonis would beat Kovalev? I'd have thought the $ fights are at SMW so I'd be surprised to see him move up permanently.

Last chance saloon for Groves against Jack? Where does he go if he loses to (by far) the worst champion? Hopefully we get to see Smith Groves next year if he gets past Rebrasse on Friday.
Groves has suffered a head injury during a boating accident.
True, if there was a pot of gold waiting for Ward at light heavy though I'm sure he'd move up because he's certainly big enough. I'd like to see the Kovalev fight (who wouldn't), I can't see Stevenson beating him though. I mean does anyone really think Adonis would beat Kovalev? I'd have thought the $ fights are at SMW so I'd be surprised to see him move up permanently.

Last chance saloon for Groves against Jack? Where does he go if he loses to (by far) the worst champion? Hopefully we get to see Smith Groves next year if he gets past Rebrasse on Friday.

Well Kovalev and Stevenson are bigger than any names Ward could fight at 168 (that he hasn't already fought). Hopkins too. I don't like catchweights, but this is the sort of situation where it'd be appropriate. I don't really rate Stevenson, he got knocked out by Darnell Boone ffs. Think Kovalev has an easy night with him. From Ward's perspective, HBO and Roc are paying him $2m to fight bums, so I can see why he doesn't want to move out of his division just yet.

Groves better win ffs. If he loses, the best chance he'd have of being in another big fight would be as Ward's second tune up fight. I get nervous every time I see Groves get in the ring now.

Groves better win ffs. If he loses, the best chance he'd have of being in another big fight would be as Ward's second tune up fight. I get nervous every time I see Groves get in the ring now.

Aye, same here. His head's gone post-Wembley.
Original post by Mackay
Groves has suffered a head injury during a boating accident.

Carl Froch was on the boat and hit him with a straight right.
Original post by frankieboy
Carl Froch was on the boat and hit him with a straight right.

I heard the attendance of the surrounding boats was 80,000. Could be wrong though.
I heard the attendance of the surrounding boats was 80,000. Could be wrong though.

Nelson was there laughing too.

Latest