The Student Room Group

Is Scotland Friendlier than England?

On a recent trip to Scotland, it makes me always remember how friendlier people are compared to England. I don't know whether other people have a similar experience, but especially at night (i was in Glasgow at night) people are just much more open than down in England (where I live) in terms of talking to each other, where often enough people only ever stick to talking within their circle and you always get the feeling they can't wait to get rid of you during a convo. You just get talking to so many people you wouldn't even expect to be talking to!

Does anybody else get this feeling when crossing the border?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Very much so. Canada is one of the friendliest places i've been. I guess people in these locations simply have a lot more space,time, community. Whereas London is just a bunch of people, thinking about themselves living in tiny boxes and working 50+ hours.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Very much so. Canada is one of the friendliest places i've been. I guess people in these locations simply have a lot more space,time, community. Whereas London is just a bunch of people, thinking about themselves living in tiny boxes and working 50+ hours.

You've made the classic mistake of thinking London = England. Don't know why everybody does this. London is NOTHING like the rest of the country.
Original post by datpiff
On a recent trip to Scotland, it makes me always remember how friendlier people are compared to England. I don't know whether other people have a similar experience, but especially at night (i was in Glasgow at night) people are just much more open than down in England (where I live) in terms of talking to each other, where often enough people only ever stick to talking within their circle and you always get the feeling they can't wait to get rid of you during a convo. You just get talking to so many people you wouldn't even expect to be talking to!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I do. :sadnod:

I've actually found the US to be the country outside the UK to have the most friendly people, especially in Washington and New York City. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by RoundTrip
You've made the classic mistake of thinking London = England. Don't know why everybody does this. London is NOTHING like the rest of the country.

even in Manchester i always get the feeling of pretentiousness and the feeling that in order to be more sociable there you have to be either drunk, be in a big friendship circle of some sort or know people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by datpiff
even in Manchester i always get the feeling of pretentiousness and the feeling that in order to be more sociable there you have to be either drunk, be in a big friendship circle of some sort or know people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in Manchester, it's not like that, most people are friendly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scotland is in England...
Reply 7
I live up North, where it is just as friendly as Scotland. Nothing beats random conversations with strangers on a night out.
Reply 8
Original post by Oscar.
I live in Manchester, it's not like that, most people are friendly

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could never go out on my own like in Glasgow and just start chatting to random people at 9pm though lol. In my experience of living up north all my life Northerners are friendly, but maybe not very sociable still. We often stick inside our circles like glue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I grew up in Essex so no matter where I go in the UK everyone seems super friendly to me.
Reply 10
Original post by datpiff
I could never go out on my own like in Glasgow and just start chatting to random people at 9pm though lol. In my experience of living up north all my life Northerners are friendly, but maybe not very sociable still. We often stick inside our circles like glue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The question is have you ever tried doing that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope i was merely highlighting the extremes. To answer your question, i would say yes! Scotland is friendlier however some parts of England are quite nice.
Reply 12
Original post by datpiff

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you think scotland is friendly then you should come to wales, they dont stop talking here! I went to scotland recently and yes they are like us welsh for talking. I find the english a bit more distant when in thier own towns but great on hols when more relaxed and not streesed out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sarah1001
Scotland is in England...

Scotland is not in England, it is north of England
The further south you go, the less friendly people tend to be.
Personally I don't find the Scottish any friendlier than the English
Not if you're an ethnic minority tbh.
Original post by quentinhamilton
Personally I don't find the Scottish any friendlier than the English

Same. Seems like half of Scotland lives in England anyway and they're just as much as a **** as everyone else, if not more so. Scotland has the biggest inferiority complex ever. They're always trying to convince everyone they are in some way better than England.
Original post by datpiff

Posted from TSR Mobile

Us Glaswegians are known to be pretty friendly (apart from the neds of course). We were voted the friendliest city in the UK a few years ago after all :p:

I may be biased but I like that people talk to each other up here, not only on nights out (outwith their social circles) but just generally in everyday life - on public transport, in taxis, etc. However, I've visited Lancashire (particularly Blackpool) many times and always think the Northerners are a friendly bunch too :smile:
Same. Seems like half of Scotland lives in England anyway and they're just as much as a **** as everyone else, if not more so. Scotland has the biggest inferiority complex ever. They're always trying to convince everyone they are in some way better than England.

Exactly. I noticed a pattern with the English people; every visit they make to another country they claim how much 'friendlier' the people were. Besides, England and Scotland have relatively similar behaved people with no vast difference

Quick Reply

Latest