The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick or King's College London

Hi everyone !
So I got two offers from both Warwick for Law(with social sciences) and King's College London for international relations. Before all, I have to say that I believe both of these august instituions are very good and that it's a privilege to study in either one of them. Although, I am struggling till this day to choose which one should I attend. What do you guys think ?
**** Warwick! KCL til the day I die
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by queen-bee
**** Warwick! KCL til the day I die

F*ck you Please?
Are you an international student?

I'd recommend you choose between them purely on their courses - which course do you find more appealing? They are of equal 'prestige' and are both respectable RG universities, so the only pertinent distinguishing factors that I can think of would be the course; the location and the (disparities in) living costs.
Original post by TheMultiEreno
Hi everyone !
So I got two offers from both Warwick for Law(with social sciences) and King's College London for international relations. Before all, I have to say that I believe both of these august instituions are very good and that it's a privilege to study in either one of them. Although, I am struggling till this day to choose which one should I attend. What do you guys think ?

KCL. Law at KCL is just better.
Reply 5
Original post by callum_law
KCL. Law at KCL is just better.

He's been accepted to KCL for IR

Hi everyone !

OP tell us more about yourself and what you look for in a uni?
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Are you an international student?

I'd recommend you choose between them purely on their courses - which course do you find more appealing? They are of equal 'prestige' and are both respectable RG universities, so the only pertinent distinguishing factors that I can think of would be the course; the location and the (disparities in) living costs.

Yes I am an international student.
You're right concerning the fact that I should choose the course that appeals to me the most although my question is more prestige, expenses, employability and also a little bit of social life oriented.
Thank you although.
Original post by mm14

Ahh, it's late. Apologies. I should have known something was awry when a law student was saying Warwick and KCL are on par for Law.
Yes I am an international student.
You're right concerning the fact that I should choose the course that appeals to me the most although my question is more prestige, expenses, employability and also a little bit of social life oriented.
Thank you although.

Prestige - equal
Expenses - KCL more expensive
Employability - depends a lot on your degree classification (which in turn depends on how much you enjoy the course...)
Social life - Warwick, definitely

I reiterate that the most pertinent factor to consider in your choice between the two is which course you find most appealing.

Good luck.
Original post by mm14

OP tell us more about yourself and what you look for in a uni?

Thank you for your message. Well Im originally from Turkey and I am fond of subjects such as economics(even though my offers may not reflect that) but also history, politics and social sciences overall.
I am wondering what are my prospective career options following a Law or IR degree in the UK if I would like to stay in the country (I know it's a very broad question and depends hugely on me but Im asking in general)
As far as it concerns the uni, I would say that the social life and the strength of the alumni network are important factors since we said that in terms of prestige they're not very distant. Oh and obviously the teaching quality.
(edited 8 years ago)
KCL is patchily good, but where it is good it is very good indeed, and International Relations is a particular strength. I see this course as more appreciably more prestigious than Law at Warwick, never mind that 'with social sciences'.

With regard to social life, Warwick is a campus university, which confers a set of benefits for making friends. But after living on site for year 1 the Warwick students spread more widely than is true at any comparable school: they don't spread themselves between different towns at Bath or York. And social life doesn't consist only in being able to drum-up a group to go down the Leamington Spoons, central London is an education of itself. Dreary Sunday afternoon? Pop into the British Museum.

I'd go for KCL every time here, with only the difference in costs perhaps prompting pause for thought in it.
Thank you for your message. Well Im originally from Turkey and I am fond of subjects such as economics(even though my offers may not reflect that) but also history, politics and social sciences overall.
I am wondering what are my prospective career options following a Law or IR degree in the UK if I would like to stay in the country (I know it's a very broad question and depends hugely on me but Im asking in general)
As far as it concerns the uni, I would say that the social life and the strength of the alumni network are important factors since we said that in terms of prestige they're not very distant. Oh and obviously the teaching quality.

I'd have thought your prospects will be somewhat better having a Qualifying Law Degree in the bag.
Reply 12
As far as it concerns the uni, I would say that the social life and the strength of the alumni network are important factors since we said that in terms of prestige they're not very distant.

Ok that's more than enough info, thanks :biggrin:

First you must understand that you have been accepted to two fundamentally very different courses, with Law at Warwick you'll be doing a standard Law degree at a solid top Law school and with International Relations at KCL you have to remember that a lot of your degree will be focused around KCL's famous War Studies department, which is the best in the country. It's very much comparing apples and oranges so you have to decide which you prefer considering you'll be spending the next 3 years studying it. Considering that you have a passion for history and politics in particular I would probably recommend IR more, I would recommend attending some sort of open day at both universities but if you cannot watch some promotional content and see which you prefer. I've attached a couple of links below.

KCL War Studies

Warwick Law

Assuming you can't decide these are some of the differences between Warwick and KCL for some of the factors concern you the most:
Prestige-
This is very difficult to measure particularly as you are comparing two different departments. Both universities are very well known and internationally renowned, I would say that KCL has the better international reputation while Warwick edges ahead nationally because of their development in recent years. Ultimately they're both very comparable insofar as they have a reputation for being excellent institutions so prestige isn't a factor I would worry about. In case you want to bring faculties into the equation then I would say that Warwick's Law department is around top 10 in the country; on the other hand IR at KCL is slightly more difficult to gauge because it is a mix of two departments, but considering you'll be doing more than a fair few from the War Studies department I'd say it'd be best to base it on them. Like I mentioned before I've heard that KCL War Studies is the best in the UK, that being said War Studies is a niche department so there isn't much in terms of competition.

Expenses-
In terms of how much you'll be spending without a shadow of a doubt I can tell you KCL will be more expensive, as you'll be in one of the world's major capital cities. With Warwick on the other hand you'll be near Coventry. This one isn't too hard to figure out, with London rent, travel, food, and alcohol will be more expensive but then again things always are in major cities. If you have money then have no fear.

Employability-
Again this will vary massively depending on which degree you choose and what type of role you want to do. If you want to practise Law you'll only be able to do so in England and Wales (some other ex-colonies too but each has different rules concerning this issue) but considering you want to stay in the UK this shouldn't be an issue; obviously you don't have to practise Law just because you have a Law degree but the above is probably worth mentioning. Employability in Law is dependant on two things:
1.What you want to go into
2.Your qualities as an individual

Each section of the Law will have different employability prospects if you want to be some sort of Solicitor and are happy working at any old type of city firm you'll have no problem whatsoever (assuming you get a 2:1 and don't screw up CVs and Interviews) but if you want to be a Criminal Barrister you're probably going to have a tougher time making ends meet; owing to legal aid reform and changes in the English legal system. Your abilities and features as an individual will matter a lot more when studying Law, if you have a quiet voice and a stutter then you'll probably have a tough time as a barrister, furthermore you'll have to use personal your features more to stand out from the crowd in interviews and in your CV.

I must admit I'm not too familiar with the job opportunities for IR but you can have a look at some of the job opportunities that get mentioned on the promotional material. That being said I can probably predict that your standard list of Public Sector jobs, NGOs, Think Tanks, large firms, and contractors are on there, again this all depends on what you want to go into and how well you do academically. Don't be scared off if you don't like some of the options that I mentioned above, you can work in other fields, if memory serves I saw a couple of guys with KCL IR/War Studies degrees that worked for Deutsche Bank.

Social Life and Campus-
In regards to these aspects I wouldn't say one university is better or worse, much like your choice of degree IR isn't inherently better or worse than Law, just different. With Warwick you'll get a campus type atmosphere where everything is more enclosed and your life will probably more or less revolve around the campus and the student union to an extent. KCL on the other hand is based in the heart of London and as a student there you will get to learn and experience more as you explore the city and all it has to offer, not all of the city is just old buildings and skyscrapers there's Regent's Park and Hyde Park in case you ever want to go and feed ducks; furthermore with the city you'll have more museums, clubs and shops.

For more info on campus vs city universities look at this article on TSR

Warwick being a campus university I assume will build more of a community feeling, as you go travelling the campus you'll probably meet a fair few familiar faces along the way, which can be bad or good depending on whether you like someone or not. KCL being a city university there is the chance that there will be people studying in the same campus that you will never see or know existed but then again that depends on whether you like someone or not. Some people can describe the city as being far more isolating and lonely but personally I have found it very much depends more on how outgoing and social you are as an individual, if you're brave and get to know people you should be great but if you're a bit shy you might have a slightly tougher experience. Warwick will have the student union bar/night club and a few others darted around to provide some variety while KCL, as it's in London, will have a huge variety of night clubs to cater to your own personal taste, adding to this I would probably bet that there is more to do in London during the day owing to its size and variety. Both universities have a large variety or clubs/societies, I think Warwick has the most sports teams but then again with KCL you also have all the University of London societies and the societies of other universities. Your social life at university, regardless of where you go, will depend on you and how you act, what I think must be outlined is that both universities will have opportunities to go out and make friends, what matters is that you seize them.

Hope this is useful and I apologise for any errors I've made, it's about 2:30 am where I am
Original post by callum_law
F*ck you Please?

What?

Quick Reply

Latest