The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

personally found it rather strange that the power question was 9 marks,which seemed relativity straight forward, but the energy question for the bungee was only 4 marks which took much longer imo
Reply 521
Original post by vicki36
I don't know if this helps anyone but I just found a question which is nearly identical to Q9 in the M2 textbook. It's Exercise 2D, Q9 (what are the chances?) I still can't figure it out though. Obviously in this case we know theta=30.

FullSizeRender copy.jpg

How strange!

So I got half way through by resolving all the vectors parallel and perpendicular to the rod. Then equated all the vectors parallel to the rod to form an equation and did the same for the perpendicular vectors. Also found moments from P and T. This gave me 4 simultaneous equations in terms of mg, S and R with F(P)=Smew and F(T)=Rmew. If only I had more time and I think I could've done it!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CD223
Can someone please point out any faults in the unofficial mark schemes in the first post?

Looks all correct to me (1-8 that is, no clue on 9).
How did you get those values for max and min on the washing machine drum ? I got 3000 something for each value. I used the top and bottom of the drum
Original post by vicki36
I didn't remember it haha, I just assumed there had to be a question kinda similar to it. I'm so annoyed though coz I was gonna do some exercises from the book last night but I didn't bother, I just did more past papers instead.

I feel your frustration but upwards and onwards, if it's your last exam like me then sit back and enjoy the summer. Don't think too much about it (even though it's super hard not to :tongue: )
Original post by Hexaneandheels
Agree 100% with you.
Btw, what change in spec are they doing?

Time for me to admit ignorance :wink:

I don't actually know, but I remember being told by my teachers that the spec is being changed (but I can't really vouch for reliability here)
Estimates for an A grade?
Reply 527
Original post by Red Fox
You have to do d(5v^2)/dt = 0 to find the maximum point, you get a value for x (38.25 if I remember correctly) and sub it back in and rearrange for v.

Ohhh that makes sense, at least it wasn't worth too many marks!
Reply 528
I screwed up 9 :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oraeng
Ohhh that makes sense, at least it wasn't worth too many marks!

Only 3 marks I think:smile:.
Estimates for 80 UMS, 90 UMS and 100UMS anyone??
Original post by CD223
Can someone please point out any faults in the unofficial mark schemes in the first post?

Yeah (from memory) my answers for 1-8 are identical to yours, couldn't help on 9 though, I only got as far as putting it in terms of a before pens were required to be put down.
Estimate of how many UMS 67/75 will be (I'm assuming I dropped all 8 marks at end and got everything else right haha).
Original post by vicki36
Estimates for 80 UMS, 90 UMS and 100UMS anyone??

I just hope they are as low as I would like them to be...

Pretty sure I've lost at least 6 to 8 marks (just from the last question)
Original post by CD223

Like all of the answers apart from 9 Davies! I got 0.703 or something along those lines, did anybody else get similar for u?
Ffs, on question 5 i thought i only had to work out the max and not both, probably 3 marks lost on that easy queation.
Reply 536
Original post by jchap9776
Like all of the answers apart from 9 Davies! I got 0.703 or something along those lines, did anybody else get similar for u?

I screwed up the bungee question max value of x -,-

And left question 9. Maybe 10-12 marks lost? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Red Fox
You have to do d(5v^2)/dt = 0 to find the maximum point, you get a value for x (38.25 if I remember correctly) and sub it back in and rearrange for v.

I did this!!!! Other people said you could also have set T=mg and work it out this way
Original post by vicki36
Estimate of how many UMS 67/75 will be (I'm assuming I dropped all 8 marks at end and got everything else right haha).

Last year it was 88 UMS, and this year I think was significantly harder (mainly due to time constraints) but knowing AQA, I'm unsure how much this'll change.
I agree with all of the answers apart from 9, which I got 1/(2+root3), so u = 0.268

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending