The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
Who else is going to the open day next week (July 1st)? I'm so nervous. I have gotten so many mixed signals about GCSEs and it's starting to confuse me so much.

Try not to worry about it (I know it's difficult!)

GCSEs are only one part of the application. They also have your PS, reference, AS (or equivalent), any admissions tests you need to do and your interviews.

You can't change your GCSEs now, so channel the nervous energy about them into putting your all into tests, your personal statement and interviews.

Hopefully the day will be really enjoyable, make the most of it and ask as many questions as you can. As someone who gives a lot of tours, there's nothing worse than people not asking questions! :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
Try not to worry about it (I know it's difficult!)

GCSEs are only one part of the application. They also have your PS, reference, AS (or equivalent), any admissions tests you need to do and your interviews.

You can't change your GCSEs now, so channel the nervous energy about them into putting your all into tests, your personal statement and interviews.

Hopefully the day will be really enjoyable, make the most of it and ask as many questions as you can. As someone who gives a lot of tours, there's nothing worse than people not asking questions! :smile:

Hi,

Could I possibly PM you about this? I'm so concerned and confused about it but I just want a straight answer. If someone said, "I really don't see it happening, sorry" for a genuine reasons - I would take it on the chin.

Thanks for this, by the way. It's helpful!

Jay x
Original post by ivybridge
Hi,

Could I possibly PM you about this? I'm so concerned and confused about it but I just want a straight answer. If someone said, "I really don't see it happening, sorry" for a genuine reasons - I would take it on the chin.

Thanks for this, by the way. It's helpful!

Jay x

Feel free :smile:
Being an Oxford hopeful, I should probably write something here too, so hi everyone!

I'm an international student too, from Switzerland. I honestly have no idea how good my chances are... I have no idea what kind of grades anyone who's been accepted to Oxford from Switzerland has had, so hmm. Our grading system goes from 1 to 6, and Oxford says it expects a 5.0 in each subject. I have an average of about 5.5 at the moment, but then again, everyone on this thread has amazing grades, so yeah...

I also do some volunteering for political and LGBT organizations. Then there's typical hobby stuff, choir, theater, piano... and I did an exchange year in China. Does Oxford like languages? Do they take them into account during the admissions process?

I'm going for PPE, possibly at Magdalen, but I'm going to wait until after the Open Days to decide.
I went to a masterclass at Cambridge yesterday, and now I"m having trouble deciding whether I would prefer Oxford or Cambridge:

I want to study Maths & Comp Sci, which is already one thing Oxford has over Cambridge, as Cam only has single CS or major/minor CS/maths.

However, after visiting Cambridge's colleges, I instinctively felt drawn to one of their colleges (St. John's), whereas I haven't had this with Oxford.

Then, after a maths open day @ Oxford, I decided I love the course in all its fantastic glory.

I feel like Oxford is more urban/"city" than Cambridge, which is slightly smaller, and I"m definitely a city girl (I could never go to a university in the middle of nowhere.

(i know this sounds ridiculous) but in my school, the majority of Oxbridge applicants are applying to Cambridge, and it's making me question whether I'm missing something about Cambridge, which is really drawing in loads of people at school.

Anyway, can anyone who has any insight into the matter/is also having trouble deciding etc. give any advice to help me out with my decision? :s

Also, I've heard rumours that Cambridge is better with the sciences (which is why I'm still debating this) and Oxford is better for the arts-- can anyone confirm or bust this myth?
Original post by pixiedustfairy
I went to a masterclass at Cambridge yesterday, and now I"m having trouble deciding whether I would prefer Oxford or Cambridge:

I want to study Maths & Comp Sci, which is already one thing Oxford has over Cambridge, as Cam only has single CS or major/minor CS/maths.

However, after visiting Cambridge's colleges, I instinctively felt drawn to one of their colleges (St. John's), whereas I haven't had this with Oxford.

Then, after a maths open day @ Oxford, I decided I love the course in all its fantastic glory.

I feel like Oxford is more urban/"city" than Cambridge, which is slightly smaller, and I"m definitely a city girl (I could never go to a university in the middle of nowhere.

(i know this sounds ridiculous) but in my school, the majority of Oxbridge applicants are applying to Cambridge, and it's making me question whether I'm missing something about Cambridge, which is really drawing in loads of people at school.

Anyway, can anyone who has any insight into the matter/is also having trouble deciding etc. give any advice to help me out with my decision? :s

Also, I've heard rumours that Cambridge is better with the sciences (which is why I'm still debating this) and Oxford is better for the arts-- can anyone confirm or bust this myth?

Pick the course before the university. Don't pick Cambridge because 'it's Cambridge', pick CS&Maths and then choose the uni.

As for the science/art divide - it's irrelevant IMO. These are two of the top unis in the world. You'll be splitting hairs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DanieleZ
Being an Oxford hopeful, I should probably write something here too, so hi everyone!

I'm an international student too, from Switzerland. I honestly have no idea how good my chances are... I have no idea what kind of grades anyone who's been accepted to Oxford from Switzerland has had, so hmm. Our grading system goes from 1 to 6, and Oxford says it expects a 5.0 in each subject. I have an average of about 5.5 at the moment, but then again, everyone on this thread has amazing grades, so yeah...

I also do some volunteering for political and LGBT organizations. Then there's typical hobby stuff, choir, theater, piano... and I did an exchange year in China. Does Oxford like languages? Do they take them into account during the admissions process?

I'm going for PPE, possibly at Magdalen, but I'm going to wait until after the Open Days to decide.

A language is obviously a great skill to have, but I'm not sure it is much of a factor in a PPE application. However, you could relate your fluency in the language to the subject - perhaps via demonstration of an affinity for Chinese politics or philosophical thought.
I did something similar in my PPE application with French.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OxSarah
I'd like to but I'm afraid I won't be there in July :frown: I was thinking of coming in September but Oxford is open to public on the 18th and I have IELTS exam the next day soo it's definitely a mess!

Hi OxSarah,

Open Days are the best time to visit since the whole University is geared up for visitors and many students and Tutors are available to answer questions.
You can, however, visit Oxford at other times. If you let the colleges you are interested know, it may be possible to find a current student to show you around and answer questions about your course. A number of undergraduates work as volunteers for the UNIQ summer schools and/or have lab placements or work part-time for the conference office, particularly in June/July. My advice is to contact the relevant Schools liaison Officer - at Brasenose this is Joe organ [email protected]

We get visitors all year round. The Porters' lodge always has prospectuses to hand out and are very happy to let prospective applicants look round. If you ask, they will phone through to the Admissions Office and if someone is free they will come down to show you areas that have restricted access and are happy to answer questions.
Original post by Lucilou101
The college fee is only paid by Overseas students and is in addition to rent and food etc, it covers academic facilities and other facilities so things like tutors as you mentioned.

Accommodation wise for Medicine - you definitely get accommodation for the first three years. Then I believe the course works in that you have to re-apply to Oxford for the clinical 3 years. If you then came back to Univ, I believe they offer you first year on-site, and then you can live in the off-site annexe for the last 2 years. By this point though you may prefer to rent a house of your own and live out :smile:

Nearly all of the Medics live out for years 4-6 and rent houses with fellow-medics to be closer to the hospitals. Oxford admits new students for the clinical component of the course and these students can apply for accommodation in the first year - for the other 2 years they also prefer to live out closer to the hospitals. We see the clinical medics mainly during the evening - they like to come to college for dinners, social events, and some also sing in the choir or play sport. The rest of the time, they are on the wards or studying.

Note that the Clinical Medics are all members of Osler House http://www.osler.co.uk/ in addition to being members of colleges - this provides social facilities nearer the hospitals that can be accessed during the day.
Original post by pixiedustfairy

Course choice is far more important than college choice. I'm obviously biased (just finished my third year!) but I think you'll love Oxford :smile: (though would probably get on fine at Cam too)
Original post by mickeydelmonte
I would deeply appreciate anyone who can provide the answer to this question:
For medicine, is it easier to get into oxford or Cambridge? Cambridge have roughly 250 places to oxfords 150 (based on last years figures) but there is a higher applicant:tongue:lace ratio at cambridge than at oxford. My main priority is to go to Oxbridge as I want to pursue an academic career in medicine at the top universities. I received 12 A*s at GCSE and hope to average at least 90% UMS across my best 3 AS levels. Any advice on where to apply, oxford or cambridge? Also to which college. I was thinking Trinity at cambridge or somewhere like Christ church at oxford, basically a large, sporty, grand college with a good choir.

Thank you in advance.

Unless there has been a huge swing, the applicant to place ratio is higher at Oxford I believe.

12A*s sets you up well but your chances at Oxford will still be heavily reliant on BMAT and interviews.

Cambridge is heavily reliant on UMS. As you can see from the graph on this page, get >95 UMS and your chances are excellent (relatively speaking). Less than 92 or so at a guess and the odds slip away.

Its up to you to weigh up your chances at both, and to decide which other factors are important to you (student satisfaction? the city?), and to then make a decision.
Original post by HannahC-H
Hey if you want me to take some notes for you or ask any specific questions then I'd be happy to! My school is taking a few of us and we have a residential so I'll have a chance to talk to admissions tutors and those who interview privately before the open day itself :idea:

Oh I'd love to!It's very kind of you :blush: I'll start thinking about some questions these days.Where do I send them to you? :h:
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hi OxSarah,

Open Days are the best time to visit since the whole University is geared up for visitors and many students and Tutors are available to answer questions.
You can, however, visit Oxford at other times. If you let the colleges you are interested know, it may be possible to find a current student to show you around and answer questions about your course. A number of undergraduates work as volunteers for the UNIQ summer schools and/or have lab placements or work part-time for the conference office, particularly in June/July. My advice is to contact the relevant Schools liaison Officer - at Brasenose this is Joe organ [email protected]

We get visitors all year round. The Porters' lodge always has prospectuses to hand out and are very happy to let prospective applicants look round. If you ask, they will phone through to the Admissions Office and if someone is free they will come down to show you areas that have restricted access and are happy to answer questions.

Thank you for your willingness!Anyway I am not planning a visit in Oxford at the moment but if I decide to come to Oxford in summer I won't hesitate to contact you and let you know.
Original post by aasvogel
A language is obviously a great skill to have, but I'm not sure it is much of a factor in a PPE application. However, you could relate your fluency in the language to the subject - perhaps via demonstration of an affinity for Chinese politics or philosophical thought.
I did something similar in my PPE application with French.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I'm planning on doing :biggrin: thanks!
Original post by mickeydelmonte
Yes I'm a prospective medic. No I haven't entered any competitions as I didn't know of their existence before you mentioned them. But I'm presuming you entered a few, how did you do?

No, I haven't entered any competitions aha - I don't plan to either tbh!
Anyone be going to Jesus College on the 2nd July? *puts hand up*
GCSE grades: 9A*s 4As
A-Levels: German, Maths, Englit, Politics
Course: Chinese
College: Wadham
What is a competitive MAT score for Maths and Computer Science at Oxford? Because I just got 82% in a practice paper and I have no idea how good that is.
Also, is anyone else applying for Maths and CompSci? Do you know any good books to read?
Original post by kareembo
What is a competitive MAT score for Maths and Computer Science at Oxford? Because I just got 82% in a practice paper and I have no idea how good that is.
Also, is anyone else applying for Maths and CompSci? Do you know any good books to read?

If you took a sample MAT test under exam conditions, 82% is a very good score as the following feedback provided by the Mathematics Institute demonstrates:

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Mathsgroup%20feedback%202014.pdf
Original post by kareembo

According to this page:
https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test
it's a very good score. They write that the average scores of shortlisted candidates hover around 60, and that the scores of accepted candidates average around 70, but I think it also depends on the year.

Latest

Trending

Trending