The Student Room Group

AQA A2 COMP 3 Computing 2015 - Official Thread

Hey guys

Computing COMP 3 exam is coming up soon. This thread should be used to discuss questions, exam information and how you plan to revise for the exam.

Happy revision!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sadly the computing thread won't be anywhere as popular as the other subjects one. Apparently there's a less than a thousand students in the whole of the UK taking the Comp3 paper.
Reply 2
How did everyone Comp4 go? Do you guys know what you got yet?
Reply 3
Original post by Async
Sadly the computing thread won't be anywhere as popular as the other subjects one. Apparently there's a less than a thousand students in the whole of the UK taking the Comp3 paper.

Original post by Async

Yeah it's really annoying how computing isn't valued by universities so no one takes it. In my opinion, it's one of the hardest subjects.

COMP4 was alright I did quite a lot and found out that I did OK. I was aiming for an A* but right now I am at the boundary of A*/A. Hoping my improvements might allow me to get the A*. How was your COMP4?
Reply 4
Original post by sagar448
Yeah it's really annoying how computing isn't valued by universities so no one takes it. In my opinion, it's one of the hardest subjects.

COMP4 was alright I did quite a lot and found out that I did OK. I was aiming for an A* but right now I am at the boundary of A*/A. Hoping my improvements might allow me to get the A*. How was your COMP4?

I was on the boundary of A* too. I hope when mine gets externally moderated that they give me the 1 mark that I needed for an A*.

I think Computing is valued by universities, is just that programming and computing isn't a subject for your average guy. That's why a lot of people pick ICT, ICT is not as valued as Computing. I'd argue computing is valued, but in the society we live in today, most people are computer illiterate so no one picks it.
Reply 5
Original post by Async
I was on the boundary of A* too. I hope when mine gets externally moderated that they give me the 1 mark that I needed for an A*.

I think Computing is valued by universities, is just that programming and computing isn't a subject for your average guy. That's why a lot of people pick ICT, ICT is not as valued as Computing. I'd argue computing is valued, but in the society we live in today, most people are computer illiterate so no one picks it.

Externally moderated? I thought only a hand full are picked and they get externally moderated. How do you know yours will be picked? :redface:

Yeah you're right, computing isn't for the average guy and this is proved again by the fact that it's so damn complicated. I'm also taking physics and maths and I can definitely say they are way easier than computing. XD
Reply 6
Externally moderated? I thought only a hand full are picked and they get externally moderated. How do you know yours will be picked? :redface:

Yeah you're right, computing isn't for the average guy and this is proved again by the fact that it's so damn complicated. I'm also taking physics and maths and I can definitely say they are way easier than computing. XD

My class is small so they will externally moderate all of ours. I don't think computing is complicated, I just think it's not like regular subjects. With computing it comes by practice, whereas other subjects its about learning to pass the exams by memorizing essays and the type of questions they give.
With computing, anything can literally come up, you have to know how to apply your knowledge to solve the problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Async

I think I went overkill with mine...

WP_20150511_001.jpg

I got a provisional mark of 72/75, but as there's only me and another guy in the class it's most likely going to drop a few marks (the topic I did was a bit obscure, and it took a while for my teacher to understand it).

Hoping that it doesn't though, I got a B in the AS a few UMS off A so hoping the coursework will boost me up a bit.

About halfway through writing up my notes neatly now, I've actually found the content really interesting this year.

What other subjects are people taking?
Reply 8
Original post by Petick

WP_20150511_001.jpg

I got a provisional mark of 72/75, but as there's only me and another guy in the class it's most likely going to drop a few marks (the topic I did was a bit obscure, and it took a while for my teacher to understand it).

Hoping that it doesn't though, I got a B in the AS a few UMS off A so hoping the coursework will boost me up a bit.

About halfway through writing up my notes neatly now, I've actually found the content really interesting this year.

Wow how many pages is that? O_O Mine was quarter the size of your pile and I managed to scoop an A/A*. What in the world did you write about? Great job with the 72/75 though.

Content is interesting but just like last year a LOT to remember. With Computing I am doing Maths and Physics. What about you?
Reply 9
Wow how many pages is that? O_O Mine was quarter the size of your pile and I managed to scoop an A/A*. What in the world did you write about? Great job with the 72/75 though.

Content is interesting but just like last year a LOT to remember. With Computing I am doing Maths and Physics. What about you?

390-ish I did write a lot of code to be fair, so that took up most of it and I had to write quite a long introduction to explain what the problem was from the very basics.

I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Physics with it, I didn't know what to drop :s-smilie: I've ended up just neglecting physics though.
Reply 10
Original post by Petick
390-ish I did write a lot of code to be fair, so that took up most of it and I had to write quite a long introduction to explain what the problem was from the very basics.

I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Physics with it, I didn't know what to drop :s-smilie: I've ended up just neglecting physics though.

Yeah I did what you're doing last year in AS. I dropped Chemistry even though I got an A in. Physics is life LOL. XD I think all the subjects are much easier compared to last year in my opinion, but that's probably because the content is much more interesting especially physics.

You got any university offers yet? Where you going to?
Reply 11
Yeah I did what you're doing last year in AS. I dropped Chemistry even though I got an A in. Physics is life LOL. XD I think all the subjects are much easier compared to last year in my opinion, but that's probably because the content is much more interesting especially physics.

You got any university offers yet? Where you going to?

Yeah I think the content is much more interesting in everything, last year felt like it was just touching on things and leaving loads of lose ends and this year feels like it's tying them up.

I've firmed an offer for CompSci at Durham and put York as my insurance, what about you?
Reply 12
Original post by Petick
Yeah I think the content is much more interesting in everything, last year felt like it was just touching on things and leaving loads of lose ends and this year feels like it's tying them up.

I've firmed an offer for CompSci at Durham and put York as my insurance, what about you?

Yeah finishing unit 5 in physics I understand more of unit 2 that I did in AS. XD

Nice Durham is pretty good for Computer science!
I've firmed an offer for Mechanical Engineering at Cambridge and UCL is my insurance.

What is your offer grades? Mine is ridiculous, I've been offered a place for 3 A*
Reply 13
Yeah finishing unit 5 in physics I understand more of unit 2 that I did in AS. XD

Nice Durham is pretty good for Computer science!
I've firmed an offer for Mechanical Engineering at Cambridge and UCL is my insurance.

What is your offer grades? Mine is ridiculous, I've been offered a place for 3 A*

Congrats on Cambridge!

AAA for Durham and AAB for York. I ended up with ABBC last year, so I've had a bit of work to do this year. I think I was a few UMS off AAAB so It's within reach.

My chemistry and computing coursework have really improved my chances (they were the B's and Physics was the C), so fingers crossed!
Reply 14
Original post by Petick
Congrats on Cambridge!

AAA for Durham and AAB for York. I ended up with ABBC last year, so I've had a bit of work to do this year. I think I was a few UMS off AAAB so It's within reach.

My chemistry and computing coursework have really improved my chances, so fingers crossed!

Don't worry you'll be fine, your offer grades are very reasonable.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 15
Don't worry you'll be fine, your offer grades are very reasonable.
Good luck :smile:

You too!:smile:
Reply 16
Wow, I feel stupid compared to you two. My predicted grades are terrible compared to yours :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by Async
Wow, I feel stupid compared to you two. My predicted grades are terrible compared to yours :frown:

Not at all! Predicted grades aren't set in stone, I went past mine in maths by 2 grades last year! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Petick
Not at all! Predicted grades aren't set in stone, I went past mine in maths by 2 grades last year! :smile:

I have severe doubts I'll even meet my predicted grades.
Original post by Petick

WP_20150511_001.jpg

Nice one! I got a provisional mark of 73 or 74 out of 75, so I'm pleased. Did you print yours off single-sided? Mine was 400 pages and I printed it off double-sided a while ago and I can't remember it being that thick.

I'm taking Business Studies and Psychology and I'm neglecting Computing for a bit because of all the essay-based work I'm doing and that Computing is a very late exam (23rd June I believe).

How are you guys finding COMP3? It's great that there's finally a thread here for us A2 students. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest