The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jt663
Has anyone made a 'cheat sheet' for this like with CG1? (It has all the commonly asked questions and their answers)

The spec is so wide that its pretty uncertain what might come up, but i would suggest you make sure you know BNF/syntax diagrams, how to design a database in 3rd normal form, and how to write pseudo code algorithms (calculating the mean of numbers, the maximum of a set of numbers, the minimum of a set of numbers, the range of a set of numbers, or calculating a check digit) as these are almost guaratenned!
Original post by Nerinom
i'm massively struggling with algorithm questions where you create them with pseudo-code, can anyone provide any help for these as they're pretty much guaranteed to come up.

Thanks

The only thing i would say is look at the mark schemes and practise - if a question comes up that is confusing or difficult, remember you get marks for declaring appropriate inputs, performing calculations correctly, using loops, ensuring that all IF's have an END IF etc, and for outputs, so it should be pretty easy to pick up a few marks even if your algorithm is incorrect
Attachment not found
1.PNG

How come you have to assign the points nd brackets in one and you dont have to do it in the other one? WJEC board man
Original post by actanide
Attachment not found
1.PNG

How come you have to assign the points nd brackets in one and you dont have to do it in the other one? WJEC board man

because WJEC are indecisive!! but i think that means you might as well define everything just in case!
Original post by jamietopp21
because WJEC are indecisive!! but i think that means you might as well define everything just in case!

Yeah I think that will be the best, just in case.

Its my last exam and I'm way too relaxed for it
Original post by actanide
Yeah I think that will be the best, just in case.

Its my last exam and I'm way too relaxed for it

I'm going in and out of being too relaxed and being too stressed - thankfully due to last year and my coursework this year, i only need 45 marks or so to get into uni!! Which means its pretty easy, but i just keep worrying that the exam is going to be full of completely impossible questions and things I'm not as good on - i guess we will see!
I'm going in and out of being too relaxed and being too stressed - thankfully due to last year and my coursework this year, i only need 45 marks or so to get into uni!! Which means its pretty easy, but i just keep worrying that the exam is going to be full of completely impossible questions and things I'm not as good on - i guess we will see!

Honestly I doubt it, I am betting good money on a typical computing paper. Obviously stuff like BNF and third normal form is always kind of challenging, but you have 3 hours to think about the answer so it should be fine, just remembering all the stuff
Reply 267
Original post by Nerinom
I have a quick question regarding the marking of BNF questions on the exam papers.

I've just done a question with this as the answer:

<amountofmoney> ::= <integer> . <digit> <digit> | ( <integer> . <digit> <digit> )
In the mark scheme they've included the brackets and the decimal point in the definition where as I have done it like this

<amountofmoney> ::= <integer> <point> <digit> <digit> | <bracket> <integer> <point> <digit> <digit> <bracket>

I have correctly defined the entities. is this still correct and will i be awarded full marks?

The only thing I would be unsure of is your definition of a bracket. In other words, it has to have an opening bracket then a closing bracket. If you've defined bracket as a meta variable that accepts either then the definition is ever so slightly wrong.
Reply 268
Can anyone define Containment where OOP is concerned?
Can anyone explain to me how an insertion sort operates? i can explain bubble and quick easily but can never explain insertion?
Reply 270
Can anyone explain to me how an insertion sort operates? i can explain bubble and quick easily but can never explain insertion?

Very briefly, an insertion sort operates where items are copied one by one from an input to an output array. Items in the output array are reordered so that new items can be added in the correct position in the output array. This process repeats until the data in the output array is in order.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 271
I'd agree with that other than reordering the input array. The input array remains as it was.
Reply 272
Containment is where an object contains other objects. Never seen it come up in the exam though.
Reply 273
Original post by DerRm
I'd agree with that other than reordering the input array. The input array remains as it was.

Oops sorry yeah. I'll edit it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 274
Original post by DerRm
Containment is where an object contains other objects. Never seen it come up in the exam though.

I've heard of a class containing objects before and sub classes, but how can an object contain another object? Is it when a class includes a sub class that contains an object, or?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Can anyone define Containment where OOP is concerned?

If you mean Encapsulation it is : "The mechanism that binds data together the code and the data it manipulates keeping it secure from outside interference" :biggrin:

Basically private methods are contained within public methods to prevent variables being manipulated outside of that subroutine/class , Don't think they've ever asked a question on it though
Reply 276
Original post by 0110 1001
If you mean Encapsulation it is : "The mechanism that binds data together the code and the data it manipulates keeping it secure from outside interference" :biggrin:

Basically private methods are contained within public methods to prevent variables being manipulated outside of that subroutine/class , Don't think they've ever asked a question on it though

Thanks! Although "Encapsulation" (at least according to my notes) is different to containment? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone have any last minute advice?
Reply 278
Original post by danster549
anyone have any last minute advice?

The classic "read the question" works a treat. I've made so many mistakes going off on a tangent about things I thought the question was asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
The classic "read the question" works a treat. I've made so many mistakes going off on a tangent about things I thought the question was asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So true, they purposely ask multiple questions in the opening question and then underneath ask one other sub question to explain or discuss... caught me out last year in CG1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending