The Student Room Group

A2 AQA ICT June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

some more questions I need answering please:

How is risk analysis calculated?

What considerations should an organisation make regarding backups?

What is the role of employee awareness in disaster avoidance?

What are the components of an extranet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Historyfrenchfan
how is this different to online donation systems like virgin money giving?

Crowdfunding usually has rewards, donation is just a donation. I think

If we're ever asked to talk about the problems with crowdsourcing, there is a lot of scamming & broken promises
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quinny898
Crowdfunding usually has rewards, donation is just a donation. I think

If we're ever asked to talk about the problems with crowdsourcing, there is a lot of scamming & broken promises

Thanks, do you know the answers to my above questions? Would be appreciated
ICT is long for man ://///
Thanks, do you know the answers to my above questions? Would be appreciated

I did the Extranet question this morning:
Bad mspaint diagram:

The unauthorised user would be stopped from accessing the sever but the authorised user can access it from the internet. Basically, it allows accessing the intranet via the internet

You can also have VPN-only access, which prevents anyone who isn't "VPN'd in" to a network from accessing the files. This is increasingly the way it is done, as having the server open to access from anyone can be a security risk if someone finds out credentials, whereas a VPN can be tracked to the user
Could anyone help me with what to write for a possible question on scale and organisation structure of UCDM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shannonamyolive
Could anyone help me with what to write for a possible question on scale and organisation structure of UCDM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well its a large scale organisation with a hierarchical structure.

Could anyone answer me these questions please?
The scale of the organisation will affect:

-type and size of network since everyone is geographically scattered - WAN and LAN networks
-large organisations usually have different management levels = more likely to have an autocratic management style
- large ict systems need to be reliable and tested because smaller organisations/ branches will rely on them
-the need for Disaster recovery plan
-complying to legislations - since merging with America which is outside the EU = DPA principle
-perhaps training methods for the admins and volunteers can also be considered because they are all over the world = use of CBT?
Explain how a combination of workflow systems and document managementsystems could be used to improve productivity in a large organisation.

Can anyone explain this?
Original post by Sarah5152
Explain how a combination of workflow systems and document managementsystems could be used to improve productivity in a large organisation.

Can anyone explain this?

It can improve productivity because documents will be monitored/can be tracked through the systems, therefore they would have to complete it within their time frames to prevent delays. Decisions can be made and passed down the structure easily, as well as information going up the structure, minimising errors that could occur if they didn't have the system and had to provide information verbally. It's easier to obtain data electronically than data on paper meaning they are able to process more in the time frame given.

Hope it makes sense? :biggrin:
Trends that I have noticed from doing past papers (will be useful if anyone needs to cram and just take your chances and revise these key topics) . Ive noticed if you learn certain topics, you can always get a few marks by extracting and embedding different topics together. basically you can sometimes get away with it by bs-ing the answer :biggrin:

1. the different type of ict systems - CRM is a favourite
2. Training methods
3. Things to consider in ICT strategy - don't forget legacy systems
4.DIFFERENT CHANAGEOVERS - seem to come up al the time!
5. Learn about 3 things from security policy and training policy- links great with all the legislations
6. procedures are pretty much common sense
7. System development life cycle - the importance of involving users/client, using interview/questionnaires
8. Disaster recover plan- don't forget its not just about backup(WHO,WHEN,WHAT,WHERE), consider recovery strategy, and how they should put value to their resources i.e. how important are they and in terms of financial impact if they get lost or damaged (risk analysis)
9. developing methods which is only either linier or iterative
10. different support available - not a popular question but you never know - id say learn about 3
11. managing internal resources- only appeared once in al history exams but since its a non-profitable charity, they may want to reduce cost as much as possible- id say the most important are people (HR system) , consumable (stock control) and perhaps power supply. Also they want a rapid response kinda system so need to manage network ( monitoring computer activities)
12. OH god outsourcing have a high chance of coming up just because they seem to like to compare it with like in-house or cloud storage or whatever they can come up with.

Those are the few things I reckon will come up in Section A and B after studying the past papers. The preliminary data is not that bad tbh compare to previous exams, so I think the questions will be ok but grade boundaries are going up this year as they went down in 2014, but high in 2013, then low in 2012. so I see a trend lol. Just try to get at least 70/100 if you want a B, since grade B has always been around 65-70 marks. Personally id hate for emerging technology to come up because we have to invent so many bs :colone: and they don't even make sense haha! good luck everyone1 hope this helps for last minute reviews!
Original post by shannonamyolive

Posted from TSR Mobile

The scale of the organisation will affect:

-type and size of network since everyone is geographically scattered - WAN and LAN networks
-large organisations usually have different management levels = more likely to have an autocratic management style
- large ict systems need to be reliable and tested because smaller organisations/ branches will rely on them
-the need for Disaster recovery plan
-complying to legislations - since merging with America which is outside the EU = DPA principle
-perhaps training methods for the admins and volunteers can also be considered because they are all over the world = use of CBT?
What is a data warehouse and what would you talk about?

risk analysis:
-putting value on company's resources e.g. ict equipment, staff and data/information they store = all can have a financial impact to company if lost/damaged
-the threats to the resources e.g. natural disasters, computer theft, staff illness/quit, power cut
-likelihood for threats to occur
-how equipped is the company already = need to manage and check recovery strategy is up to date

Backups:
WHO WHAT WHEN WHERE
the need to test the backup and recovery- having drills = check if backups can be recovered by staff and how quickly = training
Original post by Gail Berbal
Trends that I have noticed from doing past papers (will be useful if anyone needs to cram and just take your chances and revise these key topics) . Ive noticed if you learn certain topics, you can always get a few marks by extracting and embedding different topics together. basically you can sometimes get away with it by bs-ing the answer :biggrin:

I've noticed that too when looking at past papers and just going over the content really - a lot of the stuff links together so I think as long as you know enough about each area of the specification, you should be alright. Talking BS is pretty much going to be one of my strategies for the exam :'D
Are entity relationship/flow charts etc. likely to come up?
Original post by TheFinalFlare
I've noticed that too when looking at past papers and just going over the content really - a lot of the stuff links together so I think as long as you know enough about each area of the specification, you should be alright. Talking BS is pretty much going to be one of my strategies for the exam :'D

being able to "justify" your answers is basically bs lmao did it all through out AS and managed to get an A :wink:
when did everyone started revising ? I only started revising Friday night haha hashtag major cramming:h::h:
Original post by Gail Berbal
when did everyone started revising ? I only started revising Friday night haha hashtag major cramming:h::h:

same, but i find it easier to remember when i'm revising just before!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending