The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
It's demoralising - I wanna do Computer Science at uni but I feel this exam result won't reflect my knowledge of the field... -,-

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont think it does, computing is actually not computer science, computing is more related to the everyday use of computers and how we benefit from them, computer science is the one where you learn how to program and do all cool mathsy stuff

Nevertheless, its still a very nice subject to take imho, its quite easy to get high marks and its understandable
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CD223
Decent! I'm in the same position provisionally due to moderation. Got 99 raw marks in the coursework - dropped on the software demonstration with annotations haha. How about you?

What did you get last year?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! 99 marks should get you 70UMS no problem. I got 69/70UMS in the project last year, i got 99 raw marks and it wasn't enough for full UMS unfortunately. In the exam I got a mid A, though I didn't do that much work for the theory, so I guess I was lucky. Taking it much more seriously this time round.

It is my last 'real' exam afterall.
Why is 50% of the stuff on this exam useless bull****? Why is there a section on ****ing E-commerce?
Original post by fatart123
Why is 50% of the stuff on this exam useless bull****? Why is there a section on ****ing E-commerce?

heyyy, would you rather have a section about the possible use of different bases and introduction to quantum complexity theory?
just read over the notes and you get easy marks
Original post by actanide
heyyy, would you rather have a section about the possible use of different bases and introduction to quantum complexity theory?
just read over the notes and you get easy marks

Yeah, reading over the last 30% or so of the unit and most of the stuff here is just garbage. Shouldn't really need to be told why a manufacturer would use robots over humans in some cases. I'd prefer much more of the binary arithmetic tbh since remembering why you would use a CASE tool is near impossible due to how boring it is.
Yeah, reading over the last 30% or so of the unit and most of the stuff here is just garbage. Shouldn't really need to be told why a manufacturer would use robots over humans in some cases. I'd prefer much more of the binary arithmetic tbh since remembering why you would use a CASE tool is near impossible due to how boring it is.

People will always complain :wink: if it was something very hard there'd be people complaining they aren't able to do this. I agree, i really enjoy stuff like doing the floating point, BNF or normalisation, but the fact that 60% of the subject is basically common sense makes me very happy
People will always complain :wink: if it was something very hard there'd be people complaining they aren't able to do this. I agree, i really enjoy stuff like doing the floating point, BNF or normalisation, but the fact that 60% of the subject is basically common sense makes me very happy

Mhm, probably the reason I find it boring too lol. Apparently most of this year's interesting stuff is being moved to AS for next year's lot, so it should be more fun for them. Hope HCI doesn't come up tomorrow since I flunked that last year with that bloody touchscreen question.
Mhm, probably the reason I find it boring too lol. Apparently most of this year's interesting stuff is being moved to AS for next year's lot, so it should be more fun for them. Hope HCI doesn't come up tomorrow since I flunked that last year with that bloody touchscreen question.

Well my college is dropping Computing next year and replacing it with Computer Science, probably different board too, so they'll basically have what we wanted.

I bet my one kidney a big HCI wont pop up as it came up last year, but there might be some stupid 3/4 marker one, again, just using common sense
Well my college is dropping Computing next year and replacing it with Computer Science, probably different board too, so they'll basically have what we wanted.

I bet my one kidney a big HCI wont pop up as it came up last year, but there might be some stupid 3/4 marker one, again, just using common sense

Maybe they're going to AQA? Looked at their exams and they look pretty cool.

Hope not. Last year's question on user manuals in CG1 really takes the biscuit. A question on types of OS would be perfect.
Reply 309
Maybe they're going to AQA? Looked at their exams and they look pretty cool.

Hope not. Last year's question on user manuals in CG1 really takes the biscuit. A question on types of OS would be perfect.

By types of OS do you mean multi programming/multi user etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
By types of OS do you mean multi programming/multi user etc?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't mind those questions actually, it's just common sense really. I do dislike the annoying things like HCI though.
Reply 311
Need 75/100 tomorrow. This is gonna be a close one...
Reply 312
Original post by kkamil113
I don't mind those questions actually, it's just common sense really. I do dislike the annoying things like HCI though.

Yeah me too. Praying tomorrow isn't too bad. 3 hours is just so long :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 313
Original post by jay_em
Need 75/100 tomorrow. This is gonna be a close one...

What grade is that for? :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah me too. Praying tomorrow isn't too bad. 3 hours is just so long :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 is hours is mental... but i would rather have 3 hours to go through the paper, read through, slowly answer things plan things etc, than have an hour and rush it!
Reply 315
Original post by jamietopp21
3 is hours is mental... but i would rather have 3 hours to go through the paper, read through, slowly answer things plan things etc, than have an hour and rush it!

That's true. I will take my time tomorrow I reckon. Last year I spent a while on each question to make sure I had answers to everything and then spent the rest of the time adding info to my previous answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That's true. I will take my time tomorrow I reckon. Last year I spent a while on each question to make sure I had answers to everything and then spent the rest of the time adding info to my previous answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thats what I'm going to do, but the issue is that this year the question paper and answer papers are different booklets, so i think I'm going to leave a bit gap after each question so i can add things to the end of them
Reply 317
Original post by CD223
What grade is that for? :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

An A grade, I got a high B last year and 97 in the coursework.

Thanks, you too! It'll all be over soon...
Reply 318
Original post by jamietopp21
Yeah thats what I'm going to do, but the issue is that this year the question paper and answer papers are different booklets, so i think I'm going to leave a bit gap after each question so i can add things to the end of them

Ah true - that sucks -,- how big should the gap be :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah true - that sucks -,- how big should the gap be :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can use as many booklets as you want, so you can even leave a whole page for a 2marker, they cant do anything about it

Quick Reply

Latest