The Student Room Group

Did anyone apply to UCL Academy Sixth Form?

I got a few offers but it's mainly between Woodhouse College and UCL Academy for me. I'm leaning more towards UCL because it's a sixth form and it's literally 10 minutes away from me. Also, I know a student who goes there and he's loving it, apparently they're really great at teaching and so helpful. Another student I know said the same thing, and they're especially helpful if you're applying for Dentistry and Medicine, this student is now studying Dentistry at Kings College.
What have you heard about UCL Academy? Anyone planning to got there?

Scroll to see replies

Which have you chosen?
Reply 2
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Which have you chosen?

I still haven't decided :frown: Going to pick on results day
Reply 3
Are you going to be at the taster event next Friday?
Reply 4
Original post by sebsword
Are you going to be at the taster event next Friday?

Yep
Reply 5
Nice, I'm going with a few friends for the taster, but we live a lot further away than '10 minutes' and are still deciding whether or not it's worth making the journey everyday, a decision, which is not made any easier by some of the mixed reviews about the place.
Reply 6
Nice, I'm going with a few friends for the taster, but we live a lot further away than '10 minutes' and are still deciding whether or not it's worth making the journey everyday, a decision, which is not made any easier by some of the mixed reviews about the place.

Oh right, haha well see you there. Yeah, there are too many mixed reviews but so far I've heard more positive than negative. I'm keeping in mind that the negative reviews I've heard about it are from the first few years when the Academy first opened so they were bound to make some mistakes. Let's just hope they've cleared up their act and improved!
I Haven't decided if I want to go to UCL yet, I kinda want to go but I dont know any of my friends who are also going and I don't want to be a loner all day xD, should I bother going?
All I've read is negative reviews and how the school is a failure lol.
I applied 2 years back I got an offer but turned it down as our year would still be guinea pigs. I heard it had bad reviews, it makes sense since it's such a new school and it doesn't increase your chances of getting into UCL.
Reply 10
Original post by Sanderm1
I Haven't decided if I want to go to UCL yet, I kinda want to go but I dont know any of my friends who are also going and I don't want to be a loner all day xD, should I bother going?

I'd think of it as an advantage! As much as I love my friends I know that if they were around I wouldn't be so keen on studying, we have a lot of good laughs. I'd appreciate being less distracted. :colondollar:
Reply 11
Original post by TheTruthTeller
All I've read is negative reviews and how the school is a failure lol.

That's all I've read as well, and it's worrying! I'm starting to think the positive reviews I got from the students there were biased :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I applied 2 years back I got an offer but turned it down as our year would still be guinea pigs. I heard it had bad reviews, it makes sense since it's such a new school and it doesn't increase your chances of getting into UCL.

Yeah, I would have too if I were you. That doesn't really bother me as UCL doesn't even offer the course I wish to embark in the future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sanderm1
I don't want to be a loner all day xD, should I bother going?

There's the added benefit of knowing that, because the school is still new, there will be no year 12s moving in from the lower years so nearly everyone will be meeting for the first time, also my friends (myself included) and everyone else I've talked to from the academy seem to be really nice so I wouldn't turn it down for that reason. Also because it specializes in STEM (which I'm assuming is why you want to go there) you'll can arrive knowing that most of your peers have similar interests and viewpoints, and advantage that you only get from sixth-forms like King's College Maths School, and UCL.
Hi,

I'm going to the taster day tomorrow and have no idea what to expect. Many, if not all of my friends have told me that ucl is a bad school with teachers being disorganised and not helpful whatsoever.
Reply 15
Original post by lalalalaalala
Hi,

I'm going to the taster day tomorrow and have no idea what to expect. Many, if not all of my friends have told me that ucl is a bad school with teachers being disorganised and not helpful whatsoever.

Omg it's tomorrow?? I thought it was on Friday! Same, but I'm not taking their word for it because they haven't even been to the school. I'm really confused to be honest lol I'm just going to wait and see.
Reply 16
Okay, so I just realised that some people have their taster day on the 25th. My friend being one of them... So lucky me gets to be a loner on Friday. :colonhash:
Original post by rhadawey
So lucky me gets to be a loner on Friday. :colonhash:

I thought I was going to be in the same position, but we just came back from DofE so my friends got offered another taster on Friday, for anyone else who went today / yesterday how was it?
Reply 18
I thought I was going to be in the same position, but we just came back from DofE so my friends got offered another taster on Friday, for anyone else who went today / yesterday how was it?

Aw lucky you. My friend went today, she said she loved it. The teachers seem very good and helpful, also, there weren't a lot of students so she found that good. She also said the students were mainly Pakistanis and Indians, but she thought everyone was friendly. The only thing she didn't like was the fact that it was 6 floors, so she was shattered by the end of the day.

What subjects did you apply for?
Original post by rhadawey
What subjects did you apply for?

-Main
Physics
Computer Science
Maths
Further Maths

-Reserves
Biology
Chemistry

Pretty much all of the STEM subjects which the school didn't seem to mind too much, despite encouraging us to take at least one 'non-stem' subject for breadth.

What about you? (or anyone else)

Quick Reply