The Student Room Group

Can you use pencil?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Timikji
I know, that's the point. I can highlight things such as important information in a question but the examiner can't see it. It's more useful for decision when you're marking points that you've already used or routes.

Oh ok. Make sure you stick to very light colours though. A blue highlighted bit might well come out as a slab of black!
Reply 21
Original post by Mr M
Oh ok. Make sure you stick to very light colours though. A blue highlighted bit might well come out as a slab of black!

I bought 5 different highlighters, marked them on a mock exam paper and scanned them in black and white. You're right, blue did come up as grey but yellow, green and orange were totally not visible at all. The amount of times ill-informed invigilators come over and tell me to stop using pencils and highlighters is annoyingly high so I just have to ignore them until they go away :tongue:
i used pencil for my statistics exam for the writing questions will they mark that please someone help me im getting scare soooooo much
Original post by nik8754524
i used pencil for my statistics exam for the writing questions will they mark that please someone help me im getting scare soooooo much

Yes
Hello everyone, I am an IB student that just finishes my IB exams. I am really afraid that I might have used pencils instead of pens for some of my written exams. I am really afraid now, will the examiners not mark my paper just because I have used pencils instead of pens so that I will lose my IB diploma because of the usage of pencils??? I am really afraid now.
Original post by DanG
I was told the other day that you can only use black pen in exams because they scan the papers in to be marked and only black come out properly, but in my C1 maths exam i did the whole paper in pencil. Does it matter? im kinda worried that it wont get marked.:confused:

If you read the instructions on the front page of your exam booklet it does tell you what to use - never do it in pencil: it could be rubbed out or adjusted.

Quick Reply

Latest