The Student Room Group

Will the real TeeEm please stand up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
no worries

Hi,
Say a question asked us to express something in terms of n
And we'd found k=(n+1)
Could we express the value in terms of k? I forgot to switch k to n+1 and was wondering if this would lose marks?
I thought that as k was a constant in terms of n then it would be counted as expressing the quantity in terms of n....or am I completely wrong and should deduct a mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 501
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Hi,
Say a question asked us to express something in terms of n
And we'd found k=(n+1)
Could we express the value in terms of k? I forgot to switch k to n+1 and was wondering if this would lose marks?
I thought that as k was a constant in terms of n then it would be counted as expressing the quantity in terms of n....or am I completely wrong and should deduct a mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will have to get back to you as I am in the middle of doing FP3 solutions
Original post by TeeEm

Sure
Thanks
Sorry to bother you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 503
Sorry the files do not fit in one post so they will continue into the next.

I though the paper was tough but worse it was very time consuming (I wonder how many people run out of time)

Q3 was a joke because it took a long time and would have messed up a lot of people ... I would have put it last
Q8 was also tough and also took me a long time/pages

I will try to revise my grade boundaries tomorrow

solutions continue into the next post
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 504
solutions continued from the previous post
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
solutions continued from the previous post

Wow I actually got the area question. Drooped 9. Shud be 96/97 i hope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
Sorry the files do not fit in one post so they will continue into the next.

I though the paper was tough but worse it was very time consuming (I wonder how many people run out of time)

Q3 was a joke because it took a long time and would have messed up a lot of people ... I would have put it last
Q8 was also tough and also took me a long time/pages

I will try to revise my grade boundaries tomorrow

solutions continue into the next post

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm

Thanks very much for the solutions. :smile: If you've got time would you be able to tell me how many marks you reckon I've lost?

Q3: Came back to it late in panic and in the normalised eigenvectors I divided by 4 instead of 2; correct eignvalues and general vectors I think, and correctly followed into the next part.

The area proof: I drew the right angled triangle, started calculating the area but my algebra didn't come to a conclusion; ran out of time}

The focus proof: I went for pythagoras using (2costheta - root(3))^2 + (sintheta)^2 as one distance and (2costheta + root(3))^2 + (sintheta)^2 as another; I ended up, as was inevitable so I don't know why I tried it, with too many cos^2 and not enough sin^2 for any cancelling...

The very last part; I used factor formulae; messed up a factor of two somewhere to eventually end up with y = (-1/2m)x; I don't think anything was wrong with my method (I did sort of "assume" the line would be through the origin but that's because I saw that doing x/y would give me something very similar to my term for m)
Reply 508
Original post by physicsmaths
Wow I actually got the area question. Drooped 9. Shud be 96/97 i hope

Posted from TSR Mobile

definitely
Reply 509
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Thanks very much for the solutions. :smile: If you've got time would you be able to tell me how many marks you reckon I've lost?

Q3: Came back to it late in panic and in the normalised eigenvectors I divided by 4 instead of 2; correct eignvalues and general vectors I think, and correctly followed into the next part.

The area proof: I drew the right angled triangle, started calculating the area but my algebra didn't come to a conclusion; ran out of time}

The focus proof: I went for pythagoras using (2costheta - root(3))^2 + (sintheta)^2 as one distance and (2costheta + root(3))^2 + (sintheta)^2 as another; I ended up, as was inevitable so I don't know why I tried it, with too many cos^2 and not enough sin^2 for any cancelling...

The very last part; I used factor formulae; messed up a factor of two somewhere to eventually end up with y = (-1/2m)x; I don't think anything was wrong with my method (I did sort of "assume" the line would be through the origin but that's because I saw that doing x/y would give me something very similar to my term for m)

I would imagine:

Q3: typically loses 2

Q6: typically loses 2

Q8b I only know the proof I put in my solution (as standard as it gets). I have no idea if the marking scheme would allow alternatives (which I do not know)
Worse case loses all 4

Q8c loses 2 (possibly 3)
I would allow assumption line goes through the origin id minimally justified
Reply 510
Any update for the grade boundary for fp3?
Original post by TeeEm
definitely

Have you revised your grade boundaries TeeEm?
Reply 512
Original post by TeeEm
I would imagine:

Q8b I only know the proof I put in my solution (as standard as it gets). I have no idea if the marking scheme would allow alternatives (which I do not know)
Worse case loses all 4

Q8c loses 2 (possibly 3)

Do yoy have M1 previous grade boundaries Sir?
Are you a tutor btw?
Original post by TeeEm

Could you take a quick look please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 514
Original post by LukeTownsend123
Have you revised your grade boundaries TeeEm?

will do that very soon, once I have a little think ...
I did the solutions early hours of the morning so I had no time to reflect on them.
Original post by TeeEm
I would imagine:

Worse case loses all 4

Q8c loses 2 (possibly 3)

Awesome, thanks :smile:
pretty sure everything else was correct and 64/75 should be serviceable in such an exam...
Original post by TeeEm
will do that very soon, once I have a little think ...
I did the solutions early hours of the morning so I had no time to reflect on them.

Without any in depth analysis and just off the top of your head, what do you think 51-53 out of 75 would be?
Reply 517
Original post by TeeEm
I would imagine:

Worse case loses all 4

Q8c loses 2 (possibly 3)

Hi, can you have look at mine as well please?
For the volume question, I think put down 2pi r^2 for the volume, i did all the calculation but I even forgot to times 4pi although that is wrong anyway, how much would I lose for that?

For the matrix question, i did one eigen vector wrong, the part c would be wrong as well, how much would i lost?

For the prove of area of the triangle one, I realised once the tangent is perpendicular to the x axis, you can form a right isosceles triangle and managed to get area 1 but i think that is the wrong method. how much would I lose?

Thank you !!
Reply 518
Original post by naxiv
Do yoy have M1 previous grade boundaries Sir?
Are you a tutor btw?

I am not a tutor.
Reply 519
Original post by LukeTownsend123
Without any in depth analysis and just off the top of your head, what do you think 51-53 out of 75 would be?

Mid C

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending