The Student Room Group

Do complements on looks lose their effect? Am I right to avoid discussing looks

So I know plenty of girls that get bombarded with compliments about their looks etc. Doesn't it get boring after a while? Do you think "oh no, not again" etc

I find I'm so reluctant to compliment a girl on her looks. I just feel I'd some off like another desperate guy if I do so, also that I'm only talking to her for superficial reasons. Only people close to me know it's hard to get a compliment out of me, so when I do make a very mild compliment, they appreciate it like crazy.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

you are right. stop caring about looks, start caring about personalities
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
you are right. stop caring about looks, start caring about personalities

I just wonder if it gets boring for girls. I see everywhere (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook etc), when a girl post a picture, its full of guys giving the same generic comments. Surely it'd get tedious right?

I'd just hate to fuel the ego of someone already up themselves lol.
Reply 3
It does. It gets awkward and tiresome after some time. Find something more original :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I usually comment on specific facial features instead of using plain compliments. However I don't do it often.
Original post by cake_lover
So I know plenty of girls that get bombarded with complements about their looks etc. Doesn't it get boring after a while? Do you think "oh no, not again" etc

I find I'm so reluctant to complement a girl on her looks. I just feel I'd some off like another desperate guy if I do so, also that I'm only talking to her for superficial reasons. Only people close to me know it's hard to get a complement out of me, so when I do make a very mild complement, they appreciate it like crazy.

Yeah it does look rather cheesy if you see how guys flatter girls on-line, I just think to myself she's not that special, what aren't I seeing what others are.

Surely one compliment is sufficient enough, but to bombard the comment section with the same compliment is cliché.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by GeorgeTownsend
Yeah it does look rather cheesy if you see how guys flatter girls on-line, I just think to myself she's not that special, what aren't I seeing what others are.

Surely one compliment is sufficient enough, but to bombard the comment section with the same compliment is cliché.

I've seen guys comment on every picture posted, it's crazy. I agree with you, looks and being good a taking a picture isn't necessarily special. I genuine comment here and there is fine.
Reply 7
Just want to mention there's nothing wrong in being nice, just wonder if the repetitive or generic compliments result in them losing meaning.
(edited 8 years ago)
The most I've ever said is a general comment approving of pictures, e.g. "loving the new profile pic, did you get a photo shoot done?" And always in chat so it's personal.
So I know plenty of girls that get bombarded with complements about their looks etc. Doesn't it get boring after a while? Do you think "oh no, not again" etc

I find I'm so reluctant to complement a girl on her looks. I just feel I'd some off like another desperate guy
if I do so, also that I'm only talking to her for superficial reasons. Only people close to me know it's hard to get a complement out of me, so when I do make a very mild complement, they appreciate it like crazy.

I've been told that. And I told him he was crazy.
But no, it never gets boring. Less and less flattering, yes. Especially depending on how he goes about it, it can be so embarrassing.
And you mean "compliments." Not "complements." This isn't math, cos :teehee:
Reply 11
Original post by Feline_Nymphet
I've been told that. And I told him he was crazy.
But no, it never gets boring. Less and less flattering, yes. Especially depending on how he goes about it, it can be so embarrassing.

Fair enough, I just find I'm reluctant to dish out compliments, perhaps I should be more generous in the future :P

Original post by Feline_Nymphet
And you mean "compliments." Not "complements." This isn't math, cos :teehee:

I've fixed it. I'm such an idiot! :ashamed2: Forgive me, all this revision has got to me :colondollar:
Complimenting people instantly loses it's effect because it makes you look as though you are the lesser. It generally means "I'm making myself available to you" when you use it on a girl.
The only people you should complement are people who are already your friends, your family and to a lesser degree yourself.
When exams are over go to the gym and start lifting weights, read the online /fit/ sticky.
i usually go for average looking girls and they always giggle and get really happy when i complement them on there looks probably because im way out of there league
I always compliment people if I'm finding a feature of theirs attractive- regardless whether boys or girls.
If I wouldn't do that I would end up looking like a creep that's just staring at them o_o.
Reply 15
Update: I decided to be nicer and tell people they look nice if I genuinely think they do. I feel like a nicer person now :biggrin:
dont know what the threads about, but a lot of girls nowadays have false inflated egos because a lot of guys compliment them

your average 5/10 thinks she's a 9/10

i'd rather be honest and tell them what they actually are. if they get offended, good.

how can people like me get laid if the average girl wont even date guys like me because they get bombarded with attention, which makes them think theyre better than what they are

seriously, people like me need to get laid.

next girl you see, be honest with your compliments. a guy will get laid at the end of the day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
So I know plenty of girls that get bombarded with compliments about their looks etc. Doesn't it get boring after a while? Do you think "oh no, not again" etc

I find I'm so reluctant to compliment a girl on her looks. I just feel I'd some off like another desperate guy if I do so, also that I'm only talking to her for superficial reasons. Only people close to me know it's hard to get a compliment out of me, so when I do make a very mild compliment, they appreciate it like crazy.

It actually depends on the girl, some girls find the compliments awkward and annoying and others like the attention and admiration.

Personally, I steer clear as soon as a guy starts giving a lot of compliments. I find them unnecessary (not to mention awkward because I'm just like "hehe ok"), if I look good I'll know that I look good, I don't need to be told (I'm really not vain, I promise lol) :u: but that might just be because I'm a Hijabi...
Reply 18
Original post by Need2Study4Exam
dont know what the threads about, but a lot of girls nowadays have false inflated egos because a lot of guys compliment them

your average 5/10 thinks she's a 9/10

i'd rather be honest and tell them what they actually are. if they get offended, good.

Loooool that's nice, or you could just not say anything :biggrin:
Some people have a very low sense of worth and receiving a compliment can make them go dizzy with pleasure, so I would always say give out compliments if you see something worth complimenting. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest