The Student Room Group

AQA A2 COMP 3 Computing 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Well I found that relatively okay. The trace table was horrible, I've never been good at them. The OS 7-marker through me off to begin with but I'm pretty sure I answered it to the full extent that I could. My teachers said it was harder than last years and potentially the hardest thus far, implying there may be relatively low grade boundaries, potentially somewhere around 75-77 (maybe 75-76) for an A.
The trace table wasn't great, but not as horrible as it was in the past, they filled out the columns on the left so it was a lot easier to keep track of what you're doing.
Original post by Drakton15
The trace table wasn't great, but not as horrible as it was in the past, they filled out the columns on the left so it was a lot easier to keep track of what you're doing.

I guess if you know how breadth-first traversing works then you can at least pick up a few marks through estimated guesses, that's what I did for the most part.
The trace table wasn't nice, took me ages. I generally feel that this paper was harder than previous years. Nothing extraordinary but slightly longer and a ridiculous amount of 1 markers.

But all good :P
Let's see what happens
Reply 464
That exam was fab. Good thing I never attempt trace table questions anyway, good thing I left it till last and had time to spend on other sections.

Exams done, time to hit a blunt.
Original post by Shaney96
Well I found that relatively okay. The trace table was horrible, I've never been good at them. The OS 7-marker through me off to begin with but I'm pretty sure I answered it to the full extent that I could. My teachers said it was harder than last years and potentially the hardest thus far, implying there may be relatively low grade boundaries, potentially somewhere around 75-77 (maybe 75-76) for an A.

How much you thinking for a B? 70?
Hard to get an A easy to pass kinda paper I reckon
Except for the subnet mask question and trace table, i think it was a reasonably good paper.
Original post by Drakton15
Ok, did it. Bear in mind there's a good chance a couple of these are wrong. Any ones left blank were longer answer questions that I didn't have time to put into my calculator.

Spoiler

7 a was B and A. C wasn't a tree as it was directed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Comp.Girl
Except for the subnet mask question and trace table, i think it was a reasonably good paper.

Yeah that subnet mask question wasn't sure on made some BS up about how the network IP being different so it meant it must be on another network trace table was ok I made that exact question up after seeing the depth first search in a past paper 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ComputingIsLife
Yeah that subnet mask question wasn't sure on made some BS up about how the network IP being different so it meant it must be on another network trace table was ok I made that exact question up after seeing the depth first search in a past paper 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I wrote something about the IP addresses being different too! LOL
Past paper boundaries:
JUNE 2014
A* 87
A 79
B 71
JUNE 2013
A* 83
A 75
B 67
JUNE 2012
A* 87
A 77
B 67
JUNE 2011
A* 80
A 70
B 60
JUNE 2010
A* 79
A 69
B 59
QUOTE=TStrathern;57289231]How much you thinking for a B? 70?

Potentially 68-69, that's the range of other papers typically. Even 67 if the grade boundaries are unusually low.
Past paper boundaries:
JUNE 2014
A* 87
A 79
B 71
JUNE 2013
A* 83
A 75
B 67
JUNE 2012
A* 87
A 77
B 67
JUNE 2011
A* 80
A 70
B 60
JUNE 2010
A* 79
A 69
B 59

Why are you assuming there aren't any C grade students on TSR? :tongue:
Yeah I wrote something about the IP addresses being different too! LOL

I think you had to write about performing a AND operation using the subnet mask and IP address. You would then compare the result to the subnet IP address. If they are the same then its on the same subnet otherwise its not so you have to send the data to the router.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 475
Any chance of an unofficial markscheme?
I found that paper very easy personally. The only oddity for me, was the subnet mask question. I was confused to how the computer would actually tell and what process it would go through. I said something about using its subnet to send the packet of data to the default gateway? Where the default gateway was sent the packet by the switch it was directed to? It was quite a muddled answer.

Apart from that though, pretty confident in all my answers. Will probably drop a few marks for long answer questions, but I'm thinking a high A or A* here.
I just said the subnet mask defines the size of the network so by using that with the ipaddress you know whether the computer is on the same LAN or not
Original post by sg_1108
Any chance of an unofficial markscheme?

if someone gets the paper then between us we could probably come up with a mark scheme.
What were the two reasons for using a digital certificate? I could only think of can prove that a message is genuine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending