The Student Room Group

Should I take History or Geography GCSE?

I'm in year nine and I don't know which to take (we have to take one). History is really poorly taught at our school, and I find it really boring. It have a 7b in it, which is higher than Geography, but I really don't enjoy it. In Geography, I have a lower grade but I enjoy it more. However, history will be more valuable for universities, so I really don't know. I hate sourcework and I'm not keen on the history syllabus, but I don't know if going through that is worth it if I may get a better grade (my geography grade is 7c) and I may have a higher chance of getting into a university. I'm really not sure. I don't enjoy geography massively, but it's more fun than history, and the teaching is better.
My grammar sucks because I'm being lazy aha.
Thoughts anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MadamTaz
I'm in year nine and I don't know which to take (we have to take one). History is really poorly taught at our school, and I find it really boring. It have a 7b in it, which is higher than Geography, but I really don't enjoy it. In Geography, I have a lower grade but I enjoy it more. However, history will be more valuable for universities, so I really don't know. I hate sourcework and I'm not keen on the history syllabus, but I don't know if going through that is worth it if I may get a better grade (my geography grade is 7c) and I may have a higher chance of getting into a university. I'm really not sure. I don't enjoy geography massively, but it's more fun than history, and the teaching is better.
Thoughts anyone?

Do Geography 100%. Universities wont really care whether you do History or Geography at GCSE .
Reply 2
Thoughts anyone?

I did both History and Geography GCSE, both had their interesting parts and both had their dull parts.

For me personally I found History more interesting though, the physical geography really didn't interest me - longshore drift, erosion of cliffs etc. Human Geography was nice though.

Maybe I was lucky because my History syllabus included Jack the Ripper, Medicine through time, American Indians and Nazi Germany all of which are very interesting.

Also for Geography I didn't like the coursework which you don't have to do for History.

For you personally though I would do Geography as you enjoy it more, always do what you enjoy and at GCSE it isn't very important as Universities only really look at your A level subjects/grades :smile:
If you don't enjoy source work (not that any of us particularly did) don't take History. My coursework was all source based so if you don't enjoy it you might not do as well as you would in Geography. Universities won't care about whether you take one over the other, unless you want to take History
Reply 4
I did both at GCSE level and will do both next year for my A Levels, so I hope I can help.

I always enjoyed History more in year 7 and 8, however I did not enjoy the content of the History GCSE course too much. It was American West and Medicine/Surgery Through Time, which aren't really that exciting, but I like the look of A Level History a lot better than GCSE History. That said, I don't regret taking it, and you might get more interesting topics depending on what exam board you are on. For my exam board (Edexcel), one exam of three (25% of the total GCSE) is using sources and there are little bits in the other exams and the coursework. So probably around 40% of the qualification is using about using sources, which I personally didn't like but you get used to it. Do you know what exam board you are doing and what the topics are?

I found Geography easier at GCSE level but maybe that was because at my school we did one option (Geog in my case) early in year 9 so I could focus completely on Geography, where as in year 11 I had 15 other exams to prepare for so less time was dedicated to History. Geography is also heavily focused on case studies - how do you feel about that?

As for universities, both subjects are well respected GCSEs.
Thoughts anyone?

Definitely take Geography. You're only a sub-level behind in Geography and to be honest if you don't like history then don't take it - you'll regret it.

P.S. history and geography gcse are of equal value to universities (unless you're gonna take history for uni, obviously)
Reply 6
i took both but i wish i only took history as in terms of controlled assessment, geography was much harder/more effort was required
Reply 7
Do Geography if you don't like history plus i think they are pretty much regarded as the same but its depending on the course
I was in a similar situation with the grades and in my opinion Geography was so much more interesting than History in year 7 and 8, so I chose Geography (I took my options in year 8). There's only a sub level between them so it won't make of a different. I think that Geography is well respected like History is but I think it mainly depends on the subject you do at Uni anyway, especially if it is linked. I also don't think that many Unis focus on the GCSEs as much as they do with A levels (other than Oxbridge), so I doubt it will make much of a difference.

If you will hate History for the next 2 years then it's probably better to not do it. The other thing to think of is if you prefer essays or normal tests (like Science tests), I have friends who do History and you have to write long essay like answers, while in Geography it is more smaller questions with the longest being an 8 mark question.

Good luck choosing.
I hate humanities. I took history solely because geography consists of colouring in maps and pointing to the pretty signs.
Thoughts anyone?

what do you mean universities value history more? geography is a broader subjects, if you are good at geography at GCSE level, you have the foundations to be good at geography at A level, which A LOT of russel group universities look for.
Reply 11
History is more interesting and less effort in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thoughts anyone?

Both history and geog are facilitating subjects and equally respected at unis. I have just done AS geog and enjoyed it and found it easy. Gcse geog was fun too. I wanted to do history too but it clashed with choices and im glad now after seeing the course. Always go with what you enjoy more as it is easier to learn it for exams. Get a really good mark on your fieldwork and you will pass exam easy at A.
Do Geography.
Reply 15
I did both at GCSE and Geography was definitely more interesting (not the Physical side though) but a lot harder due to case studies.
In terms of unis pick the one you enjoy as unis won't really look too much into GCSEs as they do for A-Levels.
I regret doing Geo despite it being easier I did not find it that interesting. Remember you'll excel most in something that you'll enjoy. I regret not taking my options more seriously.
I would do geography if you enjoy it more. Theres no point taking history if your not interested in it because you probably wont do as well and put the effort in if you dont like it. 7c is still high anyway so I wouldnt worry about that being lower than history.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Never choose a subject you're not interested in regardless of how well it's taught! :smile: Think long and hard about what you choose because you will have to stick with it for the next 2 years. You'll always do better in a subject that's more interesting for you.
Do history, because it offers you skills that geography dosent e.g making inferences.

I enjoyed both a lot and I found geography easier but I eventually picked history and I do not regret it in the slightest, I used to hate sources and essay structures but when you get to y10/11 you will be glad you picked it if you do! Anyway best of luck in your new chapter of school life and make sure to work really hard!

Quick Reply

Latest