The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
What were the 4 tables for the database one??
Original post by jt663
What were the 4 tables for the database one??

It told you what to use. The italics in the question.

Teachers
Skills
Modules
Contracts
Original post by Nivarka
It told you what to use. The italics in the question.

Teachers
Skills
Modules
Contracts

What did you get for the primary/foreign keys?
Original post by unknown192
What did you get for the primary/foreign keys?

Teachers
Name (P)
Skill (F)
Contract (F)

Skills
Skill (P)
Name (F)
Module (F)

Modules
Module (P)
Skill (F)
Contract (F)

Contracts
Contract (P)
Start
Duration
Module (F)
Name (F)
Reply 344
Original post by jay_em
I see, it said binary point should be straight after the leftmost bit, which I thought was the first 1 in 00010111.001...

No, the mantissa would have to start 01 (i.e. 0.1) otherwise it would be a negative number. So it should be 010111001000 0101
Original post by Nivarka
Teachers
Name (P)
Skill (F)
Contract (F)

Skills
Skill (P)
Name (F)
Module (F)

Modules
Module (P)
Skill (F)
Contract (F)

Contracts
Contract (P)
Start
Duration
Module (F)
Name (F)

:frown: Mine was completely different

Teachers
Teacher ID (P)
Teacher Name
Skill (F)
Skills
Skill ID(P)
Name
Modules
Module ID (P)
Skill (F)
Contracts
Contract (P)
StartDurationModule ID(F)
Teacher ID (F)
(edited 8 years ago)
All in all I thought that was pretty easy! :smile: apart from the odd question, and that database question, very ambiguous! If people can remember what questions there were we can probably make a mark scheme out of old mark schemes as a lot of the stuff has been asked in previous years!
Original post by unknown192
:frown: Mine was completely different

Teachers
Teacher ID (P)
Teacher Name
Skill (F)

Skills
Skill ID (P)
Name
Modules
Module ID (P)
Skill (F)

Contracts
Contract (P)
Start Duration
Module ID (F)
Teacher ID (F)

Looks good to me.

I spent a while looking at the addition of negatives question, then realised that the (subscript) 10 was just telling you the base (denary).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nivarka
Looks good to me.

Oh, that would be awesome if I managed those marks.
Why did everyone put "skill" under the module table? really confused over that one! did the question say anything about certain modules having to have certain skills?
i got something like this

TEACHER: (TeacherID (p), first name, last name, dob.... etc)
SKILL: (skillID(p), skill name, TeacherID (F) )
MODULE: (ModuleID, name )
CONTRACT: (contract start date (P), hours worked, moduleID (F), teacher ID (F) )
Reply 350
Original post by 8472
Whatcha think? I was all good minus the case tools. Totally blanked.

And hay, lovely to know our exam people can manage to open a door. :lol: :ninja:

Hated the database question but okay apart from that. Laughed when Davies came up as the root node:L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 351
Mucked up the database question with that skills table but other than that pretty standard I thought? What do people reckon to boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Mucked up the database question with that skills table but other than that pretty standard I thought? What do people reckon to boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was a fairly easy paper so the boundaries are going to be pretty high i reckon
Original post by jamietopp21
Why did everyone put "skill" under the module table? really confused over that one! did the question say anything about certain modules having to have certain skills?
i got something like this

TEACHER: (TeacherID (p), first name, last name, dob.... etc)
SKILL: (skillID(p), skill name, TeacherID (F) )
MODULE: (ModuleID, name )
CONTRACT: (contract start date (P), hours worked, moduleID (F), teacher ID (F) )

Yes. It said that teachers require a combination of different skills in order to be able to teach different modules.

ie. teaching eCommerce would require ICT + Business.

That sort of thing.

Hope it helps.
Reply 354
I thought it was a fairly easy paper so the boundaries are going to be pretty high i reckon

Very true. I felt comfortable for most of it as there were so many repeat questions from previous years but I'm worried that database question could ruin my chances of the grade I want.

How many marks can you get out of seven for the 4 correct tables with correct primary keys? Mucked up the foreign keys :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Very true. I felt comfortable for most of it as there were so many repeat questions from previous years but I'm worried that database question could ruin my chances of the grade I want.

How many marks can you get out of seven for the 4 correct tables with correct primary keys? Mucked up the foreign keys :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers say you get 1 mark for getting 4 suitably named tables, and i know each unneeded foreign key loses you a mark, I'm not totally sure how it works :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nivarka
Yes. It said that teachers require a combination of different skills in order to be able to teach different modules.

ie. teaching eCommerce would require ICT + Business.

That sort of thing.

Hope it helps.

Ahhh, does that mean the modules needed the skill along with it? Damn i missed that bit out I guess, i just assumed teachers wouldn't be assigned modules they didn't have the skills for and that could take place off the system, oh well, i blame the ambiguity of the question, obviously xD
For the databases, the table names were given to you in the question. I struggle to see how you can get marks for that.

I dislike WJEC, they seem to pose their questions really ambiguously. There doesn't seem to be a single right answer for half of these.
Just wandering, what did everyone get for the BNF? i got this:

<letter> ::= "a"|"b"|...|"y"|"z"|"A"|"B"...|"Y"|"Z"
<digit> ::= 0|1|2...|8|9
<underscore> ::= "_"

<character> ::= <letter>|<digit>|<underscore>
<characters> ::= <character>|<character> <characters>

<variable> ::= <letter><letter>|<letter> <characters> <letter>
Just wandering, what did everyone get for the BNF? i got this:

<letter> ::= "a"|"b"|...|"y"|"z"|"A"|"B"...|"Y"|"Z"
<digit> ::= 0|1|2...|8|9
<underscore> ::= "_"

<character> ::= <letter>|<digit>|<underscore>
<characters> ::= <character>|<character> <characters>

<variable> ::= <letter><letter>|<letter> <characters> <letter>

There are a boatload of ways to answer this. Your way looks as good as any.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending