The Student Room Group

Do complements on looks lose their effect? Am I right to avoid discussing looks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rhadawey
It actually depends on the girl, some girls find the compliments awkward and annoying and others like the attention and admiration.

Personally, I steer clear as soon as a guy starts giving a lot of compliments. I find them unnecessary (not to mention awkward because I'm just like "hehe ok"), if I look good I'll know that I look good, I don't need to be told (I'm really not vain, I promise lol) :u: but that might just be because I'm a Hijabi...

Haha I'd never just walk up to a stranger and compliment them, bit too awkward for me :lol: but I see what you mean.

I never do it to hijabi's though, just respecting the fact they probably won't welcome that sort of male attention.
Reply 21
Original post by cake_lover
Haha I'd never just walk up to a stranger and compliment them, bit too awkward for me :lol: but I see what you mean.

I never do it to hijabi's though, just respecting the fact they probably won't welcome that sort of male attention.

Good on you, I'm glad people like you exist! Hijabis don't want attention :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by Maid Marian
Some people have a very low sense of worth and receiving a compliment can make them go dizzy with pleasure, so I would always say give out compliments if you see something worth complimenting. :smile:

I try to now, without coming off as creepy/thirsty if I can :lol:
I have this thing whereby I complement at least 5 people everyday hahah lol

I think its always so nice to make people happy and smile and feel good about themselves....

but its good to be honest I wouldn't complement someone if I didn't mean it tho....
Tell them they have a very beautiful head.

Will make them laugh 9/10 times. Tried and trusted.
Problem with compliments is you can only do it once or twice or people will misinterpret your intention especially when male complimenting female, although i assume the other way around as well. But sometimes people just deserve it :smile:
It's good to give them though, it will either make someones day or they will ignore it so it costs the complimenter nothing but a breath.
Original post by cake_lover
I try to now, without coming off as creepy/thirsty if I can :lol:

Do you mean online? If so then that's much harder without looking like a weirdo. I tend to avoid it unless people seem to need/want it at the time
Avoid compliments at all costs, go for negs instead. Tell her something's wrong with her makeup. They spend hours in front of the mirror - girls are so insecure about their looks and they constantly look for validation from other people. So don't do it!
Original post by rhadawey
It actually depends on the girl, some girls find the compliments awkward and annoying and others like the attention and admiration.

Personally, I steer clear as soon as a guy starts giving a lot of compliments. I find them unnecessary (not to mention awkward because I'm just like "hehe ok"), if I look good I'll know that I look good, I don't need to be told (I'm really not vain, I promise lol) :u: but that might just be because I'm a Hijabi...

Hi five my fellow hijabi :biggrin:
It does get boring when you get compliments on the same thing over and over again. I mean, it's like "Do you really like that cuz I don't see nothing special about it?" I guess this cliché comes into play: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I stay away from all that posting pics laa didaa; instagram and snapchat are just a waste of precious time. Like who gives a crap, no one wants to know how you look every second of your life. So YES , compliments do lose their effect eventually.
Original post by ALevelBro
Avoid compliments at all costs, go for negs instead. Tell her something's wrong with her makeup. They spend hours in front of the mirror - girls are so insecure about their looks and they constantly look for validation from other people. So don't do it!

Haha nice1. :lol:
I rarely compliment people on their looks.
Tbh I would love a compliment as I've probably been called pretty (face to face) like 3 times in my life lol by people not family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never go overboard with a compliment, sometimes give them sometimes make them work for it
I'm always incredibly flattered when someone compliments me tbh :dontknow:
Original post by Precious Illusions

You have great toes :heart:

There's a way to do it right eh?
Original post by darkred
You have great toes :heart:

For the last time, I'm not putting them inside of you.

But thanks bbygal :kiss:

Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
There's a way to do it right eh?

Lol maybe :innocent:
For the last time, I'm not putting them inside of you.

But thanks bbygal :kiss:

PLEASE, just one more time
pics of feet?
Reply 38
i dont understand this obsession with feet
Reply 39
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
Do you mean online? If so then that's much harder without looking like a weirdo. I tend to avoid it unless people seem to need/want it at the time

I know lol. Tbh I don't really care if I come across as creepy/thirsty on tsr though... Not like anything would ever happen :lol:

Original post by SceneKid17
I have this thing whereby I complement at least 5 people everyday hahah lol

I think its always so nice to make people happy and smile and feel good about themselves....

but its good to be honest I wouldn't complement someone if I didn't mean it tho....

I've been trying this too lool. Some people love it... Others not so bothered :lol:

Original post by KittyRe-play
Hi five my fellow hijabi :biggrin:
It does get boring when you get compliments on the same thing over and over again. I mean, it's like "Do you really like that cuz I don't see nothing special about it?" I guess this cliché comes into play: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I stay away from all that posting pics laa didaa; instagram and snapchat are just a waste of precious time. Like who gives a crap, no one wants to know how you look every second of your life. So YES , compliments do lose their effect eventually.

I see what you mean. Hearing it once is nice, but multiple times gets tedious... And annoying if it's from the same person!

Quick Reply

Latest