The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah, I know it's thinking a bit far ahead but I think I will.

I feel it's what I was meant to do (as a degree anyway), I was thinking about you actually, was going to ask if you could tell me what the course is like at Imperial for the first year to see if it's something I'd enjoy

Assuming I get in :colonhash: (still slightly worried about Maths)
But yeah, of course, I'll tell you how it is once I'm fully into the course.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Assuming I get in :colonhash: (still slightly worried about Maths)
But yeah, of course, I'll tell you how it is once I'm fully into the course.

I'm sure if you got an A* in FM and an A in Maths (I think you'll get both), they'd be stupid to not accept you...
I'm sure if you got an A* in FM and an A in Maths (I think you'll get both), they'd be stupid to not accept you...

Let's hope it doesn't come down to that!
Have you been thinking about ChemEng for a while?
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Let's hope it doesn't come down to that!
Have you been thinking about ChemEng for a while?

ChemEng was pretty much the first serious degree I thought about so yeah!
ChemEng was pretty much the first serious degree I thought about so yeah!

Oh dear god dude I'll bet you a tenner you'll end up doing MML...
I just want to know. I hate this indecision because every time I think about my exams my worst case scenario gets a little worse. I know I've got an A* in maths from arsey's markschemes, maths has gone well this year. But I want an A* in english so damn much and I doubt I've got it, and if I haven't I'll never hear the end of it from my english teachers who are convinced I just avoid the assessment objectives for the sake of being anti-establishment...just tell me my grades already! If I miss Cambridge I'll go to KCL with my tail between my legs, and if I miss KCL I'll commit seppuku. I have it all planned out. Why won't you tell me?!
Original post by paradoxicalme
Oh dear god dude I'll bet you a tenner you'll end up doing MML...

Ça serait génial

Now exams are over, friend has correctly pointed out I'm just not sure of what I want to do...

Thing is there's too much choice, I want to do way too much
I just want to know. I hate this indecision because every time I think about my exams my worst case scenario gets a little worse. I know I've got an A* in maths from arsey's markschemes, maths has gone well this year. But I want an A* in english so damn much and I doubt I've got it, and if I haven't I'll never hear the end of it from my english teachers who are convinced I just avoid the assessment objectives for the sake of being anti-establishment...just tell me my grades already! If I miss Cambridge I'll go to KCL with my tail between my legs, and if I miss KCL I'll commit seppuku. I have it all planned out. Why won't you tell me?!

I agree. I think it's very unfair we have to wait until August. Almost every other country has your results by July the latest. In Spain, the 26th of June is the official date for results to be released. It gives everyone plenty of time to sort their stuff out and makes the process less stressful. Even the IB releases results early.
It messes with people's minds, I've spent the last 3 summers (including this one) worrying for almost 2/3 of the summer time about results (not that much now but - my level of worrying decreases from June-July and then increases from July-August. Mid July is always my most relaxed time).
Ça serait génial

Now exams are over, friend has correctly pointed out I'm just not sure of what I want to do...

Thing is there's too much choice, I want to do way too much

Hey I understood that! GCSE french wasn't useless :u: (Actually GCSE Latin and French are the subjects I probably remember the most from)

Well, NatSci is designed to let you pick and choose from a bunch of different science modules, which will help with that.
Hey I understood that! GCSE french wasn't useless :u: (Actually GCSE Latin and French are the subjects I probably remember the most from)

Well, NatSci is designed to let you pick and choose from a bunch of different science modules, which will help with that.

:lol: Latin :puke:

Now that I have nothing to do (well, I didn't do much for exams either, but now it's guilt free... Although didn't feel guilty either... Anyway) I want to do Mandarin and Arabic properly. Just need to find a place to start

Even then it's hard to narrow it down. We can only choose 3 science modules, if I could I'd do like 6 plus maths

And second year would be even harder, so a switch to ChemEng might be best
:lol: Latin :puke:

Now that I have nothing to do (well, I didn't do much for exams either, but now it's guilt free... Although didn't feel guilty either... Anyway) I want to do Mandarin and Arabic properly. Just need to find a place to start

Even then it's hard to narrow it down. We can only choose 3 science modules, if I could I'd do like 6 plus maths

And second year would be even harder, so a switch to ChemEng might be best

I'm doing Mandarin too. I'm probably going to spend the few days or so not learning any vocabulary, just the tones and the pronunciation. It doesn't matter how large your vocabulary, or how sound your grammar, if you pronounce mother like horse...
Original post by DomStaff
I'm doing Mandarin too. I'm probably going to spend the few days or so not learning any vocabulary, just the tones and the pronunciation. It doesn't matter how large your vocabulary, or how sound your grammar, if you pronounce mother like horse...

I guess that's true :lol: but I feel like context is everything, and in a sentence the tones get all mushed up anyway

Also, I think when you hear the word, you don't learn what tones the particles are, you just associate the word with those tones

I bought a grammar book ages ago, haven't used it, I don't think grammar will be the issue

Just learning all those characters to write and read or are you just learning to speak?
I guess that's true :lol: but I feel like context is everything, and in a sentence the tones get all mushed up anyway

Also, I think when you hear the word, you don't learn what tones the particles are, you just associate the word with those tones

I bought a grammar book ages ago, haven't used it, I don't think grammar will be the issue

Just learning all those characters to write and read or are you just learning to speak?

They may sound mushed up to you (and me) but to a native speaker they probably won't.

I haven't bought any grammar book, but apparently the grammar is far, far easier than that of a romance language.

Speaking will be my primary goal, I'll stick with Pinyin for a while, then maybe move onto characters once I'm comfortable.You?
They may sound mushed up to you (and me) but to a native speaker they probably won't.

I haven't bought any grammar book, but apparently the grammar is far, far easier than that of a romance language.

Speaking will be my primary goal, I'll stick with Pinyin for a while, then maybe move onto characters once I'm comfortable.You?

Hmmmm... I suppose.

Yeah, just add particles, like instead of saying

Estoy comiendo
It's just the equivalent of
I *particle for progressive action* eat
Wo zai chi

And the particle is independent of subject

I think I'll learn the characters at the same time, or it'll be too hard to go back to it? Not sure
Hmmmm... I suppose.

Yeah, just add particles, like instead of saying

Estoy comiendo
It's just the equivalent of
I *particle for progressive action* eat
Wo zai chi

And the particle is independent of subject

I think I'll learn the characters at the same time, or it'll be too hard to go back to it? Not sure

Yeah, it is the same with all tenses, isn't it? Now I understand why Chinese people say 'yesterday I eat at...'.

It is all on efficiency. You can learn the pinyin of a word far, far, quicker than its character. (Especially if you intend on writing as well, so you not only have to learn to recognise it, but how it is constructed as well.)

I don't know - my memory is pretty good, so I've got in my head that once I have a relatively large vocabulary of pinyin words, I could quickly attach a character to them.
Yeah, it is the same with all tenses, isn't it? Now I understand why Chinese people say 'yesterday I eat at...'.

It is all on efficiency. You can learn the pinyin of a word far, far, quicker than its character. (Especially if you intend on writing as well, so you not only have to learn to recognise it, but how it is constructed as well.)

I don't know - my memory is pretty good, so I've got in my head that once I have a relatively large vocabulary of pinyin words, I could quickly attach a character to them.

Yep, and for past tense they just add 'le'

Decisions decisions, I probably will learn characters as I go
Yep, and for past tense they just add 'le'

Decisions decisions, I probably will learn characters as I go

Learn characters at the same time it makes so much more sense that way, obviously in the short run progress is slower but in the long run much quicker
It's difficult to try and pick up characters afterwards imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Learn characters at the same time it makes so much more sense that way, obviously in the short run progress is slower but in the long run much quicker

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay! :biggrin: need to see if there's a Chinese key board on SwiftKey
我是学深

我要学中文

我不会说中文

Lol
Original post by NinjaPandaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm such a noob lol

1435090748232.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending