The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Idk sorry
[video="youtube;HH7MaFImu7k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH7MaFImu7k[/video]

Look at all these white chicks
Its more like a part of ratchet culture. Honestly its really disgusting tbh.... i throw up a bit everytime i see it. hopefully it'll die off like the gangnam style/asereje/party rock anthem dances, annoying af
(edited 8 years ago)
Miley Cyrus is not a white person, she is a demon sent from the fiery depths of hell to kill us all.

And yes, twerking is a part of black culture. All they have is twerking and basketball, so you might as well let them have it.
1) Yes it is a part of black culture and 2) And no but yes to a certain extent). No because anyone can "twerk" but yes because black people (more sprcificiay African Americans) have been twerking for decades but as soon as a white celebrity does it, it suddenly becomes really famous and part of everyday vocabulary. THAT is cultural appropriation. The appropriation of black culture (and vertically every other culture) by white (western) people is nothing new though and is way more serious than "twerking" lol
Hope I helped :smile:
Original post by driftawaay
Its more like a part of ratchet culture. Honestly its really disgusting tbh.... i throw up a bit everytime i see it. hopefully it'll die off like the gangnam style/asereje/party rock anthem dances, annoying af

"Ratchet culture" is not something that exists. The fact that you used the word rachet is nonsensical seeing as that word was "invented, evolved by" the very people who people like you consider to be "ratchet".

Also I doubt it will "die out" due to the fact that it is not a fad (like gangnam style/asereje/party rock anthem dances) but something that has evolved over the years. But yeah I can see why it would gross some people out :smile: I myself am not necessarily a fan of "twerking"...
Reply 7
Original post by TheTrueLondoner
Yes it is a part of black culture and

I think that is not that simple. I would be more specific and say it is part of Black American culture as America is where is originated. They were inspired by the as similar West African dance from the Ivory Coast called the Mapouka dance.

I think the very term black culture is waaaay too broad of a definition as there are many different black cultures.
there's no race responsible for trashiness.
Original post by Man.bear.pig
there's no race responsible for trashiness.

well there are some races that certainly excel in that aspect
Reply 10
Original post by Need2Study4Exam
well there are some races that certainly excel in that aspect

What are you trying to imply?
Original post by Sabuntu

im trying to imply that not all races are the same. which is common sense
Reply 12
Original post by TheTrueLondoner
If you actually read my post again, I think you'll find that I did say "specifically Aftican American culture"
:smile:

Oh sorry i missed that part
Reply 13
Original post by Sabuntu

looool oh ****
Reply 14
Original post by Need2Study4Exam
im trying to imply that not all races are the same. which is common sense

True but is there a gene that makes people trashy? I don't think trashy behavior is a race thing but something spread through culture and environment.
Original post by Sabuntu
I think that is not that simple. I would be more specific and say it is part of Black American culture as America is where is originated. They were inspired by the as similar West African dance from the Ivory Coast called the Mapouka dance.

I think the very term black culture is waaaay too broad of a definition as there are many different black cultures.

I do know this. I did (later on in my post) say "more specifically African Americans" but the question asked about "black culture" and even though I know that it is too broad a label, I was catering to the needs of the person asking. But yeah you are 100% correct. It kind of interesting to see how dances have evolved
Although the traditional concept of twerking came from West Africa, it isn't 'black culture'.

In fact, as a latina whose spent a lot of time in Mexico, the modern version actually belongs to Hispanic and Carribbean culture. It's pretty common with Reggaeton.

And yes, because the Hispanic and Carribbean world is multiracial, anybody of any race can twerk.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sabuntu
Oh sorry i missed that part

Also sorry for the double reply. I'm currently somewhere with crappy wifi :/
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Although the traditional concept of twerking came from West Africa, it isn't 'black culture'.

In fact, as a latina whose spent a lot of time in Mexico, the modern version actually belongs to Hispanic and Carribbean culture. It's pretty common with Reggaeton.

And yes, because the Hispanic and Carribbean world is multiracial, anybody of any race can twerk.

Although I see your point, I don't think that Regaeton and/or "whining" from the Caribbean is the origin of twerking. At most, it has influenced it due to the fact that Reggaeton comes from PuertoR and many PuertoRicans when to America and bought there culture with them. Just my theory
oh **** indeed

Latest

Trending

Trending