The Student Room Group

AEA Prep Thread - 25th June 2015 (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Jai Sandhu
What I dont really understand is why people think AEA is significantly easier than STEP. I honestly think if you gave me any STEP 1 paper I am 100% sure I would get a high 2 and really I should get a 1 (would be disappointing if I didnt), whilst if you gave me an AEA paper I would be getting a low merit each time, no way is a 2 equivalent to a Distinction in AEA, a 2 is much easier. I guess they are both different styles of mathematics but still.

Everybody has their own opinion about it...
The best way to assess it is to put 2 able students without any preparation on both papers.
My feeling is that
... to achieve lower grades AEA is easier.
... to achieve high grades AEA is harder.
I also feel that STEP is more predictable in the type of questions, so you can prepare/train better.
Finally AEA has no choice.

It is just that TSR is full of Cambridge hangers on and Cambridge wannabes that worship anything which remotely associated with Cambridge.

I think personally AEA is a good exam, I think is as hard if not harder and possibly better assessor of ability than STEP I, and I will be truly sad to see AEA go.

PS. Isn't strange that people do STEP II and STEP III reasonably well and could not get 100% on the EDEXCEL FP3 the other day...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
Everybody has their own opinion about it...
The best way to assess it is to put 2 able students without any preparation on both papers.
My feeling is that
... to achieve lower grades AEA is easier.
... to achieve high grades AEA is harder.
I also feel that STEP is more predictable in the type of questions, so you can prepare/train better.
Finally AEA has no choice.

It is just that TSR is full of Cambridge hangers on and Cambridge wannabes that worship anything which remotely associated with Cambridge.

I think personally AEA is a good exam, I think is as hard if not harder and possibly better assessor of ability than STEP I, and I will be truly sad to see AEA go.

PS. Isn't strange that people do STEP II and STEP III reasonably well and could not get 100% on the EDEXCEL FP3 the other day...

U talkin bout me madas matey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully, I'll do enough for a merit. Distinction is definitely out of reach! :biggrin:
Reply 163
does anyone else feel unprepared
Reply 164
Original post by physicsmaths
U talkin bout me madas matey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly have some respect, as to how you address me ....
Secondly your usename has not been mentioned in any shape or form.
Original post by TeeEm
Firstly have some respect, as to how you address me ....
Secondly your usename has not been mentioned in any shape or form.

Chill. I was joking lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think, remember this I have said think, that AEA is hard and some questions are harder the STEP but it is more guided then STEP making it a tad easier imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 167
Chill. I was joking lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought you were so there is no hard feelings...
...and no I was not referring to you.
I think that AEA is miles easier than STEP... Most of the questions are pretty simple once you give them a bit of thought and there's no ambiguity as to how many marks you're getting for each answer.
Original post by TeeEm
I thought you were so there is no hard feelings...
...and no I was not referring to you.

Thought so hehe. Also I thought I did ok in FP3 given i learnt the two big chapters the day before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For (B) on this would I be penalised for taking the cross product (which is FP3 knowledge) rather than doing the C4 method?
Q5 june 2006.png
Original post by RhysRippin
For (B) on this would I be penalised for taking the cross product (which is FP3 knowledge) rather than doing the C4 method?
Q5 june 2006.png

No, they mention being OK with people using integrating factors in one of the reports.
Reply 172
Thought so hehe. Also I thought I did ok in FP3 given i learnt the two big chapters the day before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My point was from personal recent experience with 2 different students that they were able to get 1 in both STEP II and STEP III yet both unable to get full or almost full marks in standard units.
Reply 173
Q5 june 2006.png

definitely not
Original post by TeeEm
definitely not

Original post by fatart123
No, they mention being OK with people using integrating factors in one of the reports.

I didn't think I would be, but thanks for the reassurance!
Reply 175
I didn't think I would be, but thanks for the reassurance!

no worries ...
hasn't the AEA taken place already?
Original post by TeeEm
no worries ...
hasn't the AEA taken place already?

Tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 177
For question 3 in the 2014 paper, any specific strategy on approaching the sketches? I mean there's nothing wrong with part (i) but not really sure how to approach parts (ii) and (iii)
Reply 178

makes sense now ...
Original post by Bendak
For question 3 in the 2014 paper, any specific strategy on approaching the sketches? I mean there's nothing wrong with part (i) but not really sure how to approach parts (ii) and (iii)

Think of how the curve changes at x=0. Dunno how to explain it tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending