The Student Room Group

AEA Prep Thread - 25th June 2015 (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bendak
For question 3 in the 2014 paper, any specific strategy on approaching the sketches? I mean there's nothing wrong with part (i) but not really sure how to approach parts (ii) and (iii)

Im writing it up now. One sec

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 181
Original post by Bendak
For question 3 in the 2014 paper, any specific strategy on approaching the sketches? I mean there's nothing wrong with part (i) but not really sure how to approach parts (ii) and (iii)

Original post by Bendak

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1435153449.837195.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm

Urs looks much better lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Original post by physicsmaths
Urs looks much better lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is one I made earlier (like in BLUE PETER)
Original post by Jai Sandhu
What I dont really understand is why people think AEA is significantly easier than STEP. I honestly think if you gave me any STEP 1 paper I am 100% sure I would get a high 2 and really I should get a 1 (would be disappointing if I didnt), whilst if you gave me an AEA paper I would be getting a low merit each time, no way is a 2 equivalent to a Distinction in AEA, a 2 is much easier. I guess they are both different styles of mathematics but still.

Agreed with this. I don't think AEA is easier than STEP I, but the styles are very different.
Reply 186
could anyone please explain what you need to do for 4c june 2014? i dont understand why you differentiate...
Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 15.40.00.png

Can some one Explain how to do the last part please
Original post by shamika
Agreed with this. I don't think AEA is easier than STEP I, but the styles are very different.

I dunno; when I was practicing AEA papers wondering whether to take it or not (no idea why I didn't; I guess a drastically misplaced sense of guilt at making school pay unnecessarily) I could do the vast majority of questions without much difficulty. With STEP I am pretty damn bad, probably would be lucky just to get the necessary 2 in STEP 1. Maybe AEA just facilitates better those who do Edexcel better/those who have spent lots and lots of time practising A level questions (as I find most of, though not all of, AEA feels like significantly more challenging A level style stuff).
Original post by imusti96

A good start would be to write out the sequence which is formed. If you do this correctly then you'll see it's in the same form as analysed in (a) and (b). You will also get a value for p and q which can then be put into the formula derived in (b) to give the summation.

Can you see the similarity between [r/2] and [r-1/2] ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HMusa
could anyone please explain what you need to do for 4c june 2014? i dont understand why you differentiate...

You asking why your allowed to differentiate inside sums or how you notice it?
look at the power of x.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Original post by fatart123
Think of how the curve changes at x=0. Dunno how to explain it tbh

Original post by TeeEm

Thank you!!
Reply 193

don't you have solutions to this paper?
I though Warwick undergraduates produced solutions every year now
Original post by RhysRippin
A good start would be to write out the sequence which is formed. If you do this correctly then you'll see it's in the same form as analysed in (a) and (b). You will also get a value for p and q which can then be put into the formula derived in (b) to give the summation.

According to the part (b) they should've also multiplied by (1-(pq)^n) but they didn't.. i don't get why

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 16.02.05.png

Its okay i get it now thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 195
According to the part (b) they should've also multiplied by (1-(pq)^n) but they didn't.. i don't get why

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 16.02.05.png

does anyone have the grade boundaries for the past few years?
Reply 197
Original post by johnh545
does anyone have the grade boundaries for the past few years?

Reply 198
Could anyone post any problems. Bit desperate now since I finished all past papers
Reply 199
Original post by 11234
Could anyone post any problems. Bit desperate now since I finished all past papers

I could give/make some but do you think that is wise one day before your exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending