The Student Room Group

AEA Prep Thread - 25th June 2015 (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I dunno; when I was practicing AEA papers wondering whether to take it or not (no idea why I didn't; I guess a drastically misplaced sense of guilt at making school pay unnecessarily) I could do the vast majority of questions without much difficulty. With STEP I am pretty damn bad, probably would be lucky just to get the necessary 2 in STEP 1. Maybe AEA just facilitates better those who do Edexcel better/those who have spent lots and lots of time practising A level questions (as I find most of, though not all of, AEA feels like significantly more challenging A level style stuff).

I find some AEA questions require a trick which isn't easy to see in the pressure of an exam, and you have no choice so you are forced to do things you don't like (for most: vectors).

I took the AEA and got a distinction (but was quite close to the boundary). I haven't tried STEP in exam conditions but I find the STEP style a lot more inviting. The STEP questions tend to be more interesting too, so I'm more inclined to spend the time doing them. I do think the difference in style makes it very hard to compare the two exams.
Original post by 11234
Could anyone post any problems. Bit desperate now since I finished all past papers

Teeem posted some summation ones. Could be very useful if they throw a dirty summarion question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shamika
I find some AEA questions require a trick which isn't easy to see in the pressure of an exam, and you have no choice so you are forced to do things you don't like (for most: vectors).

I took the AEA and got a distinction (but was quite close to the boundary). I haven't tried STEP in exam conditions but I find the STEP style a lot more inviting. The STEP questions tend to be more interesting too, so I'm more inclined to spend the time doing them. I do think the difference in style makes it very hard to compare the two exams.

I totally agree that aea is very hard and not easy. But why do cambridge say they dont care about it? Could it be that they dont know how much harder they have got recently or just out of ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
Original post by physicsmaths
Teeem posted some summation ones. Could be very useful if they throw a dirty summarion question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have already posted summations in an earlier post (I think Yesterday).

Some very tasty ones too
Original post by TeeEm
I have already posted summations in an earlier post (I think Yesterday).

Some very tasty ones too

I seen one to do with statistics and closed it lolz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 205
I totally agree that aea is very hard and not easy. But why do cambridge say they dont care about it? Could it be that they dont know how much harder they have got recently or just out of ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

politics

why do you have to use LaTex these days for Phd thesis or for any research papers.

I refuse to use it.

(the mathematics mafia/cartel can kiss "Maria")
Reply 206
I seen one to do with statistics and closed it lolz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although it is statistical proofs for some, the context is totally irrelevant.
Original post by TeeEm
politics

why do you have to use LaTex these days for Phd thesis or for any research papers.

I refuse to use it.

(the mathematics mafia/cartel can kiss "Maria")

Money for entering exams politics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 208
Original post by TeeEm
I could give/make some but do you think that is wise one day before your exam?

Yes please
Reply 209
Original post by 11234
Yes please

only minutes old

ignore part b
Reply 210
Original post by TeeEm
only minutes old

ignore part b

That was a fun one. Thnx. Do you have any more?
Reply 211
Original post by 11234

all completed and definitely correct?
Reply 212
Original post by TeeEm

part a yes
Original post by TeeEm

Is the trick writing it as e^something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 214

Posted from TSR Mobile

take natural logs first, then implicit,

for nature rather than second derivatives examine the sign of the first derivative at either side of the point
Reply 215

Posted from TSR Mobile

use the natural log
Reply 216
Original post by 11234

this is an old one of mine
Original post by TeeEm
take natural logs first, then implicit,

for nature rather than second derivatives examine the sign of the first derivative at either side of the point

I know that trick but thought the
e^-rootxlnx is quicker. Much quicker infact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 218
Original post by TeeEm
this is an old one of mine

Do you mind posting your answers to Q4 of the 2014 paper? Sorry to be a bother but warwick don't have solutions up for that paper and the mark scheme is very unclear as to what they're doing!
Reply 219
I know that trick but thought the
e^-rootxlnx is quicker. Much quicker infact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is the same method essentially ...

I think in this case taking logs is less messy, but both methods work well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending