The Student Room Group

How To Make Friends In London

I'm moving there soon and all my friends live very far away so it's hard for them to come and visit me and it is pretty much a fresh start.

How long would it take for me to make friends there if I put myself out there? Any tips as to how to make friends there? I'm pretty outgoing but I can't afford to go travelling all over the city btw :smile:
Reply 1
Bump
London is awesome! I live just outside it and go central London all the time and seriously its so easy to make friends just smile and be yourself don't try too hard too fit in and before you know it you'll have a whole load of friends.... depending on what part of London you are going to? some parts are rough ngl but central London and West London are really nice areas
Reply 3
Come hang out with us in Camden haha. It's actually quite hard if you haven't lived in London before. Do you know anyone there at all?
Going to be pretty hard to be honest.

In London you'll find theres an underlying sense of passive agression which many people seem to have, most people here only mix with their set social groups and that's it.

In fact, I'm fairly certain London is infamous for being a lonely city, despite or possibly because of its dense population.

If your a really charming person and join groups of some sort there's a chance you'll be able to influence some people to bring you into their social circle, otherwise it's almost impossible.
Reply 5
Original post by SceneKid17
London is awesome! I live just outside it and go central London all the time and seriously its so easy to make friends just smile and be yourself don't try too hard too fit in and before you know it you'll have a whole load of friends.... depending on what part of London you are going to? some parts are rough ngl but central London and West London are really nice areas

I dunno, possibly East :smile: How long do you reckon it would take? I'm planning on "putting myself out there" lol

AvaAdore
Come hang out with us in Camden haha. It's actually quite hard if you haven't lived in London before. Do you know anyone there at all?

Lol :tongue: Nope, all my friends are from up North or the Midlands as that's where I'm from :lol: Any suggestions? I'm gonna join meetup.com and that sort of thing. I'm good at making friends quickly which is a plus, though I am starting from scratch

@ParadiseFound are you from London?
Original post by Anonymous
I dunno, possibly East :smile: How long do you reckon it would take? I'm planning on "putting myself out there" lol

Lol :tongue: Nope, all my friends are from up North or the Midlands as that's where I'm from :lol: Any suggestions? I'm gonna join meetup.com and that sort of thing. I'm good at making friends quickly which is a plus, though I am starting from scratch

ahh nice East London isn't so bad either, I have family up there and its cool...
and seriously dw about it, im guessing your gonna be living on your own right? if so when you start working or just hanging out on the local roads you'll prettty much see the same faces everyday and just try and say hey or something... or go visit your neighbours let them know ur new in the area, it should be ok! join the local sports club or something.... its not as hard as it may seem.

One of my friends moved to London from Newcastle not long ago for Uni and is doing great in terms of getting on with people and making friends... she said its a really cool city and theres so much to do... even if you have a hard time making friends there's always plenty to do! its London im sure you'll love it!!
good luck anyway
I'm moving there soon and all my friends live very far away so it's hard for them to come and visit me and it is pretty much a fresh start.

How long would it take for me to make friends there if I put myself out there? Any tips as to how to make friends there? I'm pretty outgoing but I can't afford to go travelling all over the city btw :smile:

Just say Hi :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by SceneKid17
ahh nice East London isn't so bad either, I have family up there and its cool...
and seriously dw about it, im guessing your gonna be living on your own right? if so when you start working or just hanging out on the local roads you'll prettty much see the same faces everyday and just try and say hey or something... or go visit your neighbours let them know ur new in the area, it should be ok! join the local sports club or something.... its not as hard as it may seem.

One of my friends moved to London from Newcastle not long ago for Uni and is doing great in terms of getting on with people and making friends... she said its a really cool city and theres so much to do... even if you have a hard time making friends there's always plenty to do! its London im sure you'll love it!!
good luck anyway

Thanks!! :smile: Yep I'm gonna try to find a house share, it's cheaper and I get loads of new friends straight off too.

When did she move if you don't mind asking? :smile:
Thanks!! :smile: Yep I'm gonna try to find a house share, it's cheaper and I get loads of new friends straight off too.

When did she move if you don't mind asking? :smile:

ahh sounds nice and no worries. she moved last august, she's currently doing Medicine at uni and wants to move up there for good once she graduates... so it isn't always a bad outcome
Reply 10

It's the same as making friends in any other place, just with a lot more people. Just go to bars and places like that etc.

Lived here all my life.

It's a great place to live, with an endless amount of things to do but the people here are quite self absorbed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending