The Student Room Group

AEA Prep Thread - 25th June 2015 (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hung Huu
oh okay thanks then. no matter how i look at the last question, i can't help but think that the trigonometric answer can't be any less horrendous than the one i gave. Have you got the answer to that one ?

Yeah, you have to use the same substitution as part (a), it then gave you cot^4øcosecø, you then split that up into (cot^3ø)(cotøcosecø), and integrated cotøcosecø and differentiate cot^3ø which then got you an integral which you could split up into part b and the thing you are trying to integrate so you had 4I = {-cosecøcot^3ø} between the limits -3xpart b I believe.
Original post by physicsmaths
Tinyhobbit and teeem. What do you think of the paper? Hardest questions ? I reckon the trig one was the hardest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like TeeEm, I'll need to try it, which I'm not going to do until I've got a legible version tomorrow or so.
Reply 422
Original post by fatart123
Cos(2x + 78) = cos(90-x)

I went the long way around with it (i think)
and i got to sin(2x-12) = sinx
and i got x=4
were there any other solutions?
Reply 423
Original post by SH0405
I got sqrt(30).

yup that's right (or at least what i got)
Original post by dhee
I went the long way around with it (i think)
and i got to sin(2x-12) = sinx
and i got x=4
were there any other solutions?

Yh it did it your way well except 12-2x and look at my solution there 124,244 and 192 aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 425
Yh it did it your way well except 12-2x and look at my solution there 124,244 and 192 aswell.]

yeah i saw your stuff
i was going about that way but thought nah they wouldn't do that
it means about 4 more marks thrown away there fml
Original post by TeeEm
I am currently writing solutions to AQA, C1, June 2014 paper. I am about to start Q6. Any good?

In the vectors question I made a mistake in d leading me to the wrong answer in e. How many marks would I lose in e?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 427
In the vectors question I made a mistake in d leading me to the wrong answer in e. How many marks would I lose in e?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not familiar with AEA marking but if it was to be marked as the standard papers you will lose 2 marks from e and 1 mark from f
Did you get 4,124,244,192?I've been reading this and similar comments without seeing the question and thinking:

"Wow, the answer was 4 billion, 124 million, 244 thousand, 192? That looks scary!"

:smile:
physicsmaths
Regarding the integral everyone seems to have struggled with: can you say what the exponent was (either of the integral or the curve)? (It's not legible on the attachment you posted).
Original post by DFranklin
I've been reading this and similar comments without seeing the question and thinking:

"Wow, the answer was 4 billion, 124 million, 244 thousand, 192? That looks scary!"

:smile:

LOL. Hahahahaha. I thought it was an amazing question where people thought the 78 came out of nowhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Somewhat guessing as I can't read the question but the following might have helped:

Define
In=1(x21)n/2dx\displaystyle I_n= \int \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}}\,dx then IBP with dv = 1, gives us

In=x1(x21)n/2xddx1(x21)n/2dx\displaystyle I_n = x \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}} - \int x \dfrac{d}{dx}\dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}} \,dx

=x1(x21)n/22x2n21(x21)(n+2)/2dx\displaystyle = x \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}} - \int 2x^2 \frac{n}{2} \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{(n+2)/2}} \,dx

=x1(x21)n/2nx21(x21)(n+2)/2dx\displaystyle = x \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}} - n \int x^2 \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{(n+2)/2}} \,dx

=x1(x21)n/2n((x21)+1)1(x21)(n+2)/2dx\displaystyle = x \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}} - n \int ((x^2-1) + 1) \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{(n+2)/2}} \,dx

=x1(x21)n/2n1(x21)n/2+1(x21)(n+2)/2dx\displaystyle = x \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}} - n \int \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}} + \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{(n+2)/2}} \,dx

=x1(x21)n/2nInnIn+2\displaystyle = x \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}} - nI_n - nI_{n+2}

    nIn+2=x1(x21)n/2(n+1)In\implies n I_{n+2} = x \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^{n/2}} -(n+1) I_n

You can use this reduction formula to get to an "easier" version of the integral.

(N.B. I've ignored arbitrary constants 'cos I'm lazy, but for the actual question same argument with definite integrals is probably easiest).

Edit: This is perhaps slightly more complied than it needs to be - I thought the power was something like 5/2 but it's actually 3.
(edited 8 years ago)
Regarding the integral everyone seems to have struggled with: can you say what the exponent was (either of the integral or the curve)? (It's not legible on the attachment you posted).

Curve is y=1/(x^2-1)^3/2. Rather nice integral after doing step for 6 months. Shame i didnt have time to finish that part couldve got 95/100. Oh well I shall live haha.
Curve is y=1/(x^2-1)^3/2. Rather nice integral after doing step for 6 months. Shame i didnt have time to finish that part couldve got 95/100. Oh well I shall live haha.
So actual integral was "just" 1(x21)3dx\displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^3} \,dx?

That should have been nice for everyone who did STEP III Q1 this year...
last year the official MS was posted rather quickly. A few days i thinkz could the same happen this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So actual integral was "just" 1(x21)3dx\displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^3} \,dx?

Yep. Lost 8 on that since didnt have time. Sorry i repeat this but it is annoying lol. Shud get 88 ish so still not too bad.
There are a few ways to do it but would be interesting which way they wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep. Lost 8 on that since didnt have time. Sorry i repeat this but it is annoying lol. Shud get 88 ish so still not too bad. Probably more than I'd have got. I hate AEA papers.

But the limits were different and the form they wanted was also different iirc. So Q1 strategy was kind of long here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably more than I'd have got. I hate AEA papers.

How come? How would you compare them in raw difficulty compared to a step I paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do people think the boundary for a distinction will be?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending