The Student Room Group

taking pills back to back

im on the pill, although i have only recently just started and well theres a special occasion coming up and i dont want to be on as well the occasion probably wont happen so im going to take two packs of pills together.
any girls who have done this or known people who have done it, does it make your period longer once you have the seven day break? i just want to know what to expect really..
thanks <3 x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wouldnt recommend it.... theres a reason why they prescribe one a day....
Reply 2
Hula129
wouldnt recommend it.... theres a reason why they prescribe one a day....

i think she meant taking one course followed instantly by another, not taking two at once, could be wrong though
Reply 3
It perfectly safe to take the pill for a month, miss your pill free, and take your next pack straight away. On your next pill free week your period will be the same as always. You shouldnt take 2 packs at the same time though. Any worries you should see your doctor though.
Reply 4
ginge_emily:)
im on the pill, although i have only recently just started and well theres a special occasion coming up and i dont want to be on as well the occasion probably wont happen so im going to take two packs of pills together.
any girls who have done this or known people who have done it, does it make your period longer once you have the seven day break? i just want to know what to expect really..
thanks <3 x

It depends on a whole lot of factors, for example what specific pill you are taking, its not reccommended that you run more than 2 packs together at a time, but yes you can run 2 packs together on occasion, there may be some side effects like a few bad headaches or, you might get spotting when you were meant to be on your break, or find that on your next break its a lot lot heavier, or you may just carry on as normal it totally depends on your own body. But as you say, if its a special occassion and you dont want to be on then yes try it, so long as you resume the normal way of taking a break after.
I've done this a few times and noticed no adverse effects whatsoever. It's not recommended but I even ran three together once and was fine. Just go for it.
Reply 6
Doctors recommend running no more than 3 packs without a break. There are no adverse effects associated with it- when the pill was being developed, the 'withdrawal bleed' or the bleed on the 7 day break is more to reassure the user that they aren't pregnant than anything else- the bleed hasn't got a purpose so it's okay to skip it.
Reply 7
Hmm I may as well ask my question in here instead of starting a new thread. Well I've taken my months worth of pills and am on my weeks break now but have not started my period yet and am hoping to be fully finished by tuesday..I'm not meant to start taking the pill again until wed. What I'm asking is can I do less than a weeks break and say start my next months worth of pills on Monday?
Reply 8
Sianeh
Hmm I may as well ask my question in here instead of starting a new thread. Well I've taken my months worth of pills and am on my weeks break now but have not started my period yet and am hoping to be fully finished by tuesday..I'm not meant to start taking the pill again until wed. What I'm asking is can I do less than a weeks break and say start my next months worth of pills on Monday?

No you should just wait a week exactly and start taking it when you were meant to , you dont want to mess up your cycle.
Reply 9
Jinxy
No you should just wait a week exactly and start taking it when you were meant to , you dont want to mess up your cycle.

yeah thought as much, this is what I've always done, just being hopeful I guess. I don't mind sex but I wouldn't want his mouth going down there on Tuesday just to be sure. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
It's fine, I checked with my nurse and she said it's ok to do just not loads and loads. I took 4 packets back to back once (don't do this lol!) and nothing happened, got a period as normal and it lasted the normal 4-5 days mine last.
I did it recently and when I came to the end of the second packet I was really ill with a fever/dizziness and the most intense stomach cramps i've had since taking the pill two years ago
Reply 12
i never meant that im going to take two pill every day, now thats just plain stupid haha, i did mean take 1 packet of pill miss my free pill week and carry straight on with my next packet :smile: x
If you only just started then i assume you're on microgynon 30 as thats what they usually perscribe at first.

Its fine to run two packs one after the other. My doctor even told me I could run three packs together all the time and not suffer any bad concequences. One of my friends runs hers together completely so never has periods under her doctor's order.

Its fine, your period might be a little more painful but its generally no longer than your usual ones
I actually have lighter periods after running packs together, not sure why, but I do get some spotting occasionally. I think my periods might just generally be getting ligther due to being on the pill for several years...
Reply 15
Not sure you still care (this was obviously written ages ago!) but I recently took 3 packs of pills back to back and by the end i had really sore boobs, stomach cramps and horrible moods swings! but when i researched side effects of taking pills back to back there were none, and every site seemed to say I was pregnant...just wanted to reassure anyone who might be having the same problem.
Reply 16
Does taking the pill back to back cause your next period to be heavier and longer ?
Original post by johudson
Does taking the pill back to back cause your next period to be heavier and longer ?

not really, if you take pill packets back to back you can experience break through bleeding though
I've just finished taking the pill 3 packets back to back, I wasn't sure when my bleeding would start but it started 2 or 3 days after I stopped. It was extremely painful and what came out (sorry for the detail) was scary. I'm assuming it was just the built up lining of 2 and a half months worth of not shedding. Does anyone else have a similar experience?
I know it's a while after but I have a question if I take the contraceptive pill back to back will my period last longer than usual?

Quick Reply

Latest