The Student Room Group

University League Tables

Hey guys,

Recently I checked the UK League Tables and the likes of Durham, Bristol, Southampton, Warwick and Birmingham were among the top 10 in Computer Science. However, when I check the international League tables, the top 7 for computer science in UK included Imperial, UCL, Kings, Manchester and Edinburgh.

My choices for universities remains at Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Edinburgh and Kings. However, not too sure about Edinburgh and Kings but they are still top in the world.

Now my question is.. Is a university like Birmingham better than Manchester, Edinburgh and Kings according to UK league tables or are the UK league tables useless?

Because I want to go to the best (dont think Ill get into Oxbridge or Imperial :frown:), so even though Birmingham is in top 10 in UK league tables, it still is around 200th in the world whilst Manchester is like 48th.
Reply 1
Original post by UnknownDude
Hey guys,

Recently I checked the UK League Tables and the likes of Durham, Bristol, Southampton, Warwick and Birmingham were among the top 10 in Computer Science. However, when I check the international League tables, the top 7 for computer science in UK included Imperial, UCL, Kings, Manchester and Edinburgh.

My choices for universities remains at Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Edinburgh and Kings. However, not too sure about Edinburgh and Kings but they are still top in the world.

Now my question is.. Is a university like Birmingham better than Manchester, Edinburgh and Kings according to UK league tables or are the UK league tables useless?

Because I want to go to the best (dont think Ill get into Oxbridge or Imperial :frown:), so even though Birmingham is in top 10 in UK league tables, it still is around 200th in the world whilst Manchester is like 48th.
These differences arise because each league table has a different methodology for ranking universities.

In any case, it is not a good idea to rely on ranking as the basis for deciding which university to go to. Most employers pay little, if any, attention to the league ranking of universities - and by the time you've been graduated for five years or more, no-one really cares because it's your track record at work that matters.

My advice to you is to apply to those universities offering courses whose structure and content appeals to you. It is no good going to a high-ranking university if you hate the course - you won't do well, and that will compromise your career prospects far more than which university you went to.
The most widely searched and accepted ranking systemsystems are
QS>ARWU>THE >US Global rankings.
Search accaccording to them .
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ClairaSuzen
The most widely searched and accepted ranking systemsystems are
QS>ARWU >US Global rankings> THE.
Search accaccording to them .

Do you have a source for that claim?
No they are words of mouths only. How can any source or newspapers say that these Established Ranking Organisations as inferior or superior or inferior. They only are judged by people's suggestions and people's experiences.

Read detailed discussions here
https://www.quora.com/Which-university-ranking-system-among-ARWU-THE-and-QS-is-more-reliable-and-why
Original post by PQ
Do you have a source for that claim?
No they are words of mouths only. How can any source or newspapers say that these Established Ranking Organisations as inferior or superior or inferior. They only are judged by people's suggestions and people's experiences.

Read detailed discussions here
https://www.quora.com/Which-university-ranking-system-among-ARWU-THE-and-QS-is-more-reliable-and-why

Your order prioritises a ranking with a heavy emphasis on a survey that accepts pretty much anyone from a university to sign up. It looks like the preference of someone whose own university does poorly in the THE :smile:
See as a common student prioritizing opportunities for future I will go for QS as QS is based on international reputation and employer's availability.
Rest everyone has their own perceptions and we can't be judgemental towards any priorities. :smile:
Peace

Original post by PQ
Your order prioritises a ranking with a heavy emphasis on a survey that accepts pretty much anyone from a university to sign up. It looks like the preference of someone whose own university does poorly in the THE :smile:
See as a common student prioritizing opportunities for future I will go for QS as QS is based on international reputation and employer's availability.
Rest everyone has their own perceptions and we can't be judgemental towards any priorities. :smile:
Peace

I was approved by QS to fill in the reputation survey that their rankings are based on.
:smile:
Original post by PQ
I was approved by QS to fill in the reputation survey that their rankings are based on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending