The Student Room Group

Could someone please explain this UK university requirement to me?

I'm an American looking to attend college in the UK.

One of the requirements for the university I'm interested in requires:
"have passed the equivalent of at least three separate subjects at UK GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C)."

Could someone please explain this to me? When they say 'C' level, are they referring to the 4.0 grading scale? My high school grading scale was:

A = 93-100
B = 86-92
C = 77-85
etc.
Original post by arider

"have passed the equivalent of at least three separate subjects at UK GCSE/GCE O level (at not less than grade C)."

Could someone please explain this to me? When they say 'C' level, are they referring to the 4.0 grading scale? My high school grading scale was:

A = 93-100
B = 86-92
C = 77-85
etc.

This seems to explain things. In short, a C in the UK is roughly equivalent to a B in the US - a C is a 3.0 GPA. However, it's not absolute.

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-the-usa/undergraduate-study/applying/admissions-criteria#performance
Reply 2
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
This seems to explain things. In short, a C in the UK is roughly equivalent to a B in the US - a C is a 3.0 GPA. However, it's not absolute.

http://www.fulbright.org.uk/study-in-the-usa/undergraduate-study/applying/admissions-criteria#performance

> Thanks for replying! I'm unsure if they're referring to core subjects only or any subject. I suppose the only way to find out is to apply!
Reply 3
Original post by arider
> Thanks for replying! I'm unsure if they're referring to core subjects only or any subject. I suppose the only way to find out is to apply!

Email the Admissions dept at the uni first to be sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arider

A = 93-100
B = 86-92
C = 77-85
etc.

Those entry requirements are irrelevant to you. You need to find the entry requirements for students applying from the USA. If those entry requirements aren't listed on the website, then email the relevant department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by arider

A = 93-100
B = 86-92
C = 77-85
etc.

Is this for a bachelor degree or certificate of HE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Is this for a bachelor degree or certificate of HE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is for a bachelor's degree and that was one of the requirements listed. I emailed the University and they told me applications from American students would be judged by a special panel.
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets
Those entry requirements are irrelevant to you. You need to find the entry requirements for students applying from the USA. If those entry requirements aren't listed on the website, then email the relevant department.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. Emailed them earlier today

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending