The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrasenoseAdm
If you took a sample MAT test under exam conditions, 82% is a very good score as the following feedback provided by the Mathematics Institute demonstrates:

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/Mathsgroup%20feedback%202014.pdf

Thanks a lot! Yeah it was done in 2 hours 15 minutes, with no calculator or notes. Do you know much about CS applications?
Original post by OxSarah
Oh I'd love to!It's very kind of you :blush: I'll start thinking about some questions these days.Where do I send them to you? :h:

You're welcome! You can PM them to me on here if you like! Or I can give you my Facebook/ email address :-)
Original post by kareembo

Also, is anyone else applying for Maths and CompSci? Do you know any good books to read?

Have a look at http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/background_reading.html

Gavin
Original post by HannahC-H
You're welcome! You can PM them to me on here if you like! Or I can give you my Facebook/ email address :-)

I'll send you my Facebook address in private so you can add me when you have time :smile:
What is a competitive MAT score for Maths and Computer Science at Oxford? Because I just got 82% in a practice paper and I have no idea how good that is.
Also, is anyone else applying for Maths and CompSci? Do you know any good books to read?

Univ has an access website with a reading bank on it - http://staircase12.univ.ox.ac.uk/content/mathematical-physical-and-life-sciences-0

Try clicking on the Maths and Computer Science sections and there are some books recommended by current students :smile:
Thanks a lot! Yeah it was done in 2 hours 15 minutes, with no calculator or notes. Do you know much about CS applications?

I'm afraid Brasenose doesn't currently offer CS - we offer Maths and Maths/Stats at present. I was going to suggest you PM Gavinlowe (the Maths Institute's REp on TSR) but I see he has already picked up your query.
How competitive is biochem at Oxford? Could anyone give me the typical GSCEs and AS's (AAAA-AAAB?) of a candidate who would get invited to interview? cheers :smile:
Original post by r055grn
How competitive is biochem at Oxford? Could anyone give me the typical GSCEs and AS's (AAAA-AAAB?) of a candidate who would get invited to interview? cheers :smile:

This is a bit dated (2010) but probably ball-park. The usual caveats about "averages".

http://www.stdominics.org.uk/media/uploads/Supporting%20Students%20-%20NI.pdf
Original post by Pars12
This is a bit dated (2010) but probably ball-park. The usual caveats about "averages".

For guidance, here is a sample of GCSE profiles for candidates invited to interview in 2014 who applied for Biochemistry (C700):

10A* | 9A*-1A | 3A*-2A-1B | 7A*-3A | 2A*-6A-1B-1C | 5A*-6A | 6A*-4A | 11A* | 3A*-4A-2B | 7A*-3A | 12A* | 6A*-3A | 8A*-2A | 11A* | 5A*-5A-2B | 8A*-2A | 8A*-2A-1C | 10A* | 9A*-3A-1B | 9A*-1A | 7A*-3A | 2A*-5A-2B
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
For guidance, here is a sample of GCSE profiles for candidates invited to interview in 2014 who applied for Biochemistry (C700):

10A* | 9A*-1A | 3A*-2A-1B | 7A*-3A | 2A*-6A-1B-1C | 5A*-6A | 6A*-4A | 11A* | 3A*-4A-2B | 7A*-3A | 12A* | 6A*-3A | 8A*-2A | 11A* | 5A*-5A-2B | 8A*-2A | 8A*-2A-1C | 10A* | 9A*-3A-1B | 9A*-1A | 7A*-3A | 2A*-5A-2B

Ah brilliant thank you! I have 5A*s and 7As so I guess that makes me relatively competitive- wasn't sure if because of Oxfords emphasis on GCSEs they have a high cut off for GCSE A*s etc.
Original post by Pars12

cheers!
Went to Durham open day. Really, really disappointed. I was considering it as my second choice. I doubt It will even make the UCAS form now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DanieleZ
Being an Oxford hopeful, I should probably write something here too, so hi everyone!

I'm an international student too, from Switzerland. I honestly have no idea how good my chances are... I have no idea what kind of grades anyone who's been accepted to Oxford from Switzerland has had, so hmm. Our grading system goes from 1 to 6, and Oxford says it expects a 5.0 in each subject. I have an average of about 5.5 at the moment, but then again, everyone on this thread has amazing grades, so yeah...

I also do some volunteering for political and LGBT organizations. Then there's typical hobby stuff, choir, theater, piano... and I did an exchange year in China. Does Oxford like languages? Do they take them into account during the admissions process?

I'm going for PPE, possibly at Magdalen, but I'm going to wait until after the Open Days to decide.

Yaay, another international PPE applicant :clap2:I recognize the struggle of not knowing how big one's chances are as I am from Sweden, and the Swedish system isn't comparable to A-levels or IB. It's kind of scary...

Are you going to the Open Days? I'm going the 2nd of July :biggrin:
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Went to Durham open day. Really, really disappointed. I was considering it as my second choice. I doubt It will even make the UCAS form now.

What disappointed? :frown:
Original post by fluteflute
What disappointed? :frown:

I really did think Durham was going to be great and be at number 2 on the UCAS form.

I do not want to be negative, but they just didn't seem to make much of an effort.

We tried to find someone who did my course - but we couldn't find anyone.

There was no one around for my subject until the talk. The talk itself was OK, but I didn't get a buzz from it they way I have with other presentations. I can think of other subject presentations I have been to, eg Nottingham/History for my sister a few years ago, which was just so brilliant I wanted to do the course myself and so did my mum (my sister did do it)! This talk was, well OK, alright, sort of the minimum required. It didn't make me want to go and study there.

It turned out that the faculty was shut because 'it was a Saturday'.

Even the catering facilities were a shambles like no one had anticipated that there might be a lot of people wanting a cup of coffee or a frappuccino.. We waited 5 mins in the 'wrong queue' (no signage at all), then 10 minutes in the right queue, only to be told when we got to the till that the ice machine was broken and so no cold drinks...

Don't get me wrong. I am sure Durham is better in reality that the impression given at the open day. And I am sure that loads of brilliant Classicists will go there and have an amazing time and get a great degree. But I am afraid it won't be me.
(edited 8 years ago)
I do not want to be negative, but they just didn't seem to make an effort.
I wonder if they don't really need to? They'll get plenty of applicants, whatever they do :tongue:
Original post by fluteflute
I wonder if they don't really need to? They'll get plenty of applicants, whatever they do :tongue:

I was interested to hear that they make unconditional offers to 5% of applicants. I can see how that would be attractive as a back up in case you bugger up your exams.
(edited 8 years ago)
My mum drove us about 500 miles (round trip), and paid for a hotel for us overnight, so we really did think Durham was going to be great and be at number 2 on the UCAS form.

I do not want to be negative, but they just didn't seem to make an effort.

There were some people around in yellow t-shirts, but they were not much help. We asked for directions to the faculty and they didn't know where it was and it wasn't on the map (but that turned out to be lucky - see below). We tried to find someone who did my course - but we couldn't find anyone.

Later we asked for directions to the bus for our 'park n ride' - the very nice young man sent us in the wrong direction. This was not a biggie, it was only 5 mins walk in the wrong direction and 5 mins back, and I don't blame him - why should he know? But it was symptomatic of they day. Just underwhelming!

We have been to lots of open days (mainly for my brother and sister) and there is usually a load of enthusiasm and great engagement (eg brilliant sample lectures). There are normally great talks by people who really know their stuff.

We sat through the most boring presentation about facilities and so on. I wanted to slit my wrists by the end - it was just awful. I do not think I learned anything new in that 40 mins.

There was no one around for my subject until the talk. The talk itself was OK, but really JUST ONLY OK - I didn't get a buzz from it they way I have with other presentations. I can think of other subject presentations I have been to, eg Nottingham/History for my sister a few years ago, which was just so brilliant I wanted to do the course myself and so did my mum (my sister did do it)! This talk was, well OK, alright, sort of the minimum required. It didn't make me want to go and study there.

It turned out that the faculty was shut because 'it was a Saturday' - are you kidding - this is the open day!!!

Even the catering facilities were a shambles like no one had anticipated that there might be a lot of people wanting a cup of coffee or a frappuccino.. We waited 5 mins in the 'wrong queue' (no signage at all), then 10 minutes in the right queue, only to be told when we got to the till that the ice machine was broken and so no cold drinks... It was sweltering.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure Durham is better in reality that the impression given at the open day. And I am sure that loads of brilliant Classicists will go there and have an amazing time and get a great degree. But it won't be me!

I agree, I was left hugely underwhelmed. Durham has gone from my 2nd to 4th choice now. I was also left starving yesterday due to the lack of any shops or fast food places nearby, it's very isolated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Original post by Azzer11
I agree, I was left hugely underwhelmed. Durham has gone from my 2nd to 4th choice now. I was also left starving yesterday due to the lack of any shops or fast food places nearby, it's very isolated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now I am definitely going for next Open day in September to get the feeling myself

Should help me decide whether Edinburgh or Durham becomes my second choice (or even Bristol).

I didn't go for Edinburgh open day, but I went to the campus tour and the guide was really enthusiastic and made me want to live there although her course is totally unrelated to mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to the open day, honestly it's perhaps the best uni open day I've been to so far this year :smile:
Also my sis goes there, she says it's the bomb.com

Latest

Trending

Trending