The Student Room Group

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miser
Thanks. Good luck to you too!

Thanks.

Did you see my progress pic / post gym top down lighting with pump picture last night?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 241
Original post by Motorbiker
Thanks.

Did you see my progress pic / post gym top down lighting with pump picture last night?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I haven't seen it. I'm just about to leave the office but will check it out later tonight.
Good luck!
Reply 243
Think I started with 40 kg squats, 30kg bench and 40kg Deadlift. So that's only 10 or 5 per side.

Once you've got the technique down u you'll fly along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, that is hilarious mate.

I started with 5kg squats. Now at 13kg and it's so damn heavy.
Good luck mate. Don't understand why you'd want to be a vegetarian so extra good luck with that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 245
Original post by ALevelBro
Good luck mate. Don't understand why you'd want to be a vegetarian so extra good luck with that.

Thanks. As for being vegetarian, I don't want animals to die for me if they don't have to and that's all it comes down to.

Original post by Slowbro93
Good luck!

Cheers buddy, you too!
Reply 246
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking good. A better pic than your entry ones I think.
Original post by miser
Looking good. A better pic than your entry ones I think.

Yea, thanks. That'll be the lighting in that room and the fact I had a pump from just finishing my workout.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 248
Chapter XXIX: The battle against yourself

The way I like to think about life is that it's a battle with yourself. It's a battle because sometimes you win and sometimes you lose - unless you always win. Because who's the referee? That's you too. You're in the left corner and the right corner and the ref. In a competition with myself, I don't stand a chance, because I always win.

A classic example was this Saturday night - I went out for a friend's birthday and, as is the way it goes, went out sober and came home drunk and sporting a new afro. Not only did I ingest a ton of liquid calories, but when I woke up the room was still spinning. I wanted to frown but it was too much effort to move my face. Sometimes victory hurts.

I missed martial arts class, failed to do my workout and almost threw up in Morrisons. I did however watch some UFC and feel motivated to the max while sitting in my underpants doing nothing.

You know, nothing reminds me not to get a hangover better than getting a hangover - and there's nothing like stopping a couple pints short of a six-pack for cultivating that rack. Although yesterday was a total write-off, I did get to eat the rest of the exotic bean curry I'd made. Lima beans, cannellini beans, black-eyed beans (apparently they won a grammy), red kidney beans and more, all in one dish. I call this recipe 'bean there, done that' and it goes with rice.

So it's swings and roundabouts - I had a good time, what more can I want? Oh yeah, a buff bod. But whatever, there's always tomorrow right? I can do anything, so long as I delegate it to future-me - he's such a great guy, he can handle anything. Yeah, "I'll work out more tomorrow," I thought as I put my feet up and imagined myself achieving all my goals.
Interesting outlook on life.

I'm currently in the "will that food taste as good as you will look?" camp.

It's a bit eating disordery and I should be careful but I'm not being stupid about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 250
Interesting outlook on life.

I'm currently in the "will that food taste as good as you will look?" camp.

It's a bit eating disordery and I should be careful but I'm not being stupid about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice phrase, maybe I'll use that.
Reply 251
Oh yeah baby, clocking in another workout. Pushed it to the max this time!

Seeing improvements already and all over - I'm riding my gain train ticket to gainsville.
Reply 252
Last night I was thinking about what to listen to when doing my workouts. I settled on the theme to Terminator 2 because the T-800 embodies my Life Rule No. 2: Perseverance. Once you resolve to do something, you keep going until you've done it. Self-discipline doesn't enter into it - does the Terminator have self-discipline? No. And it doesn't require "motivation," either. The Terminator moves forward because it has a goal. Its goal is to kill people, and mine is to get more definition on my abs.

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until it has done 5x5 assisted pullups and warm-down stretches."

nnnq6.jpg

Man I love Star Wars.

Chapter XXX: Rated

I pumped out my workout full-throttle. I started with some intense cardio for a warm-up, then got straight to it.

Workout A
Bulgarian plyometric squats 5x5 each side
Elevated paused press ups 5x5, 1x5 super slow
Assisted pull-ups 5x5
Assisted dips 2x8, 1x20
One-legged calf raises 2x8 each side, 1x16 (left) and 1x20 (right)
In-and-outs 3x20

Squats went great - my form is improving. Keeping a straight back, trying to land with solid posture and avoid putting pressure on my knees.

The press-ups I amended to be paused. I counted: 1-2 (down), 3-4 (up). At the end of the fifth set, I decided I really needed to push it to the max, so I did them as slowly as I could for another 5 reps.

Assisted pull-ups are getting there. I still can't manage a set of 5 non-assisted pull-ups but I'll get there. I'm putting as much weight as my spindly arms can handle and ensuring good form.

Assisted dips got intense. They were much easier than they had been previously - I got stronger. Instead of maxing out at 3x8, at the end of my final set I could keep going - so I did. The final set became 3x20. I'll up the intensity of this exercise next time.

It was the same for calf-raises. My legs are getting stronger, and I managed the usual 3x8, then on the left leg I went up to 16 and 20 on the right.

In-and-outs are troublesome and 3x20 was my maximum. Although this too is an improvement as a couple of weeks ago I struggled to do a full 3 sets of 20.

I finished with a series of full-body stretches to work on my flexibility.

Lastly, I'm considering signing up to an MMA gym. As an office worker I have a lot of pent up violence that I don't want to strain my heart.

Peace out everyone. And if you're still reading you should get off the computer and do some situps. Those abs aren't going to tone themselves.
miser

Once you resolve to do something, you keep going until you've done it. Self-discipline doesn't enter into it - does the Terminator have self-discipline? No. And it doesn't require "motivation," either. The Terminator moves forward because it has a goal. Its goal is to kill people, and mine is to get more definition on my abs.

Indeed. Motivation is for the weak.
Reply 254
Original post by heybaby
Indeed. Motivation is for the weak.

Straight up! Because if you rely on motivation you will fail. Motivation fluctuates up and down - it's not reliable - so if you pin your success on something unreliable, your success isn't reliable either. Like you say, reliance on motivation is weakness.
Original post by miser
Straight up! Because if you rely on motivation you will fail. Motivation fluctuates up and down - it's not reliable - so if you pin your success on something unreliable, your success isn't reliable either. Like you say, reliance on motivation is weakness.

Exactly. Self-doubt is normal and perhaps even sensible in the pursuit of self-improvement but to leverage your goals against an emotional pump which will eventually fade is silly. Often, you'll notice the people who do this -- who need an inspiration speech to start on their venture towards actualization -- are those always looking for a quick and easy answer to their problems. I never want to be that guy.
Reply 256
Original post by heybaby
Exactly. Self-doubt is normal and perhaps even sensible in the pursuit of self-improvement but to leverage your goals against an emotional pump which will eventually fade is silly. Often, you'll notice the people who do this -- who need an inspiration speech to start on their venture towards actualization -- are those always looking for a quick and easy answer to their problems. I never want to be that guy.

I actually wrote an article on this subject here if you're interested in motivation as a topic:
http://journalofinterest.com/essays/how-to-stay-motivated/
Original post by miser
I actually wrote an article on this subject here if you're interested in motivation as a topic:
http://journalofinterest.com/essays/how-to-stay-motivated/

You're a smart guy, miser. I wish you all the best.
Reply 258
Original post by heybaby
You're a smart guy, miser. I wish you all the best.

Thanks. I appreciate you dropping by my fitness blog. :smile:
I like someone doing something different in the blogs. Keep it up

For pushups, a pause pushup would be better done if you went to the bottom, counted to 2, then exploded upwards in a plyo style. Moving faster recruits more muscle fibres despite it feeling easier. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest