The Student Room Group

Are most jobs these days exempt from the Rehabilitation of offenders Act 1974?

Hi all,

I am soon to graduate and I am in the process of really trying to get my foot in the door. I have a distinct lack of experience on my CV-- and all I have done is, held down a PT job in as hotel for 8 years, (menial work), and volunteered somewhat casually. I understand that, in the grand scheme of things, in the professional world this means nothing.

Meanwhile, I am trying to do things in order to boost employability, boost CV, apply for graduate jobs et cetera.

The problem is, I am applying to big companies, where many firms want me to disclose "unspent" convictions. I have a reprimand from 2006/7 for Burglary with intent to steal, and whilst my degree isn't in health, law or anything like that, (it is in Media/Design) I am still being asked to declare it. Hindering my opportunities.

My question is, why are so many jobs becoming exempt from the act?

This seems the case, even with jobs where your not working with kids, vulnerable adults or handling cash.
Reply 1
I'm a little confused as to what you mean by exampt from the rehab of offenders act - for starters Is your reprimand not considered spent!?! I believe reprimands only stay on your record for 6yrs if you were an adult at the time of offence and 2 years if under 18 at the time of offence - assuming this is your only conviction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ackbar
I'm a little confused as to what you mean by exampt from the rehab of offenders act - for starters Is your reprimand not considered spent!?! I believe reprimands only stay on your record for 6yrs if you were an adult at the time of offence and 2 years if under 18 at the time of offence - assuming this is your only conviction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

By exempt I mean not protected under the Act. In other words, I have to declare the warning, conviction, reprimand or other recorded offence to the future employer.

Any jobs for which are exempt include jobs like being a teacher, lawyer, barrister, doctor (or other med professional) or anybody whom is in contact with children or vulnerable adults- all of these roles do not fall within the Act and are not protected.

Apparently, my reprimand is not considered spent- if the jobs I am applying for are exempt i.e as in above roles-- and additionally my reprimand is listed on a special list drafted up by parliament which means it will never be filtered from DBS checks from future employers. Given the nature of my offence it is unfortunate- yet completely unfair to blight even though its been 8-9 years.

If I am applying for work in some 'corner shop' sort of job, sure it may not make one jot of difference. But since I'm applying to big corps and companies and wish to get a graduate job- more and more employer seem to request a DBS check or require satisfactory clearance of a check 'clean sheet'.

This is my only conviction but apparently my offence isn't eligible for filtering due to its' nature and the fact that I am applying for jobs that require me to disclose.

It frustrates me that more and more employers request this, and are jumping on the wagon because changes in the law have allowed them to take a legal foothold, providing they can prove a need to do checks. I.e. if it is a job role position in health in someway (even if the role isn't being a doctor).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by royal1990
Hi all,

I am soon to graduate and I am in the process of really trying to get my foot in the door. I have a distinct lack of experience on my CV-- and all I have done is, held down a PT job in as hotel for 8 years, (menial work), and volunteered somewhat casually. I understand that, in the grand scheme of things, in the professional world this means nothing.

Meanwhile, I am trying to do things in order to boost employability, boost CV, apply for graduate jobs et cetera.

The problem is, I am applying to big companies, where many firms want me to disclose "unspent" convictions. I have a reprimand from 2006/7 for Burglary with intent to steal, and whilst my degree isn't in health, law or anything like that, (it is in Media/Design) I am still being asked to declare it. Hindering my opportunities.

My question is, why are so many jobs becoming exempt from the act?

This seems the case, even with jobs where your not working with kids, vulnerable adults or handling cash.

The Supreme Court has just changed the law (2019) and it came into effect in Nov 2020. It ordered the clearing of historical offences on DBS and enhanced DBS. Go to the Unlock website to check.

If your current DBS has offences on, apply for another and it will be clear. If employed already, your employer may ask you to pay for it as strictly you’re only doing it to get a ‘clean sheet’.

Quick Reply

Latest