The Student Room Group

UCLan Asia Pacific Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Xiggie
I'm really sorry to hear that :frown: hopefully next year will be better for you!!! :3

Yes I'm excited!!
Reply 21
I'm trying to find out more about the year abroad and how it's funded etc, anyone else have more information?
From what I've read it seems like you have to pay for a lot of it yourself...
Reply 22
Original post by Xiggie
I'm trying to find out more about the year abroad and how it's funded etc, anyone else have more information?
From what I've read it seems like you have to pay for a lot of it yourself...

I'm not really sure tbh, I know you can get extra funding from student finance and you'll have you're student loan for that year as normal wouldn't you? My plan is to save as much as I can over the next 2 years.
Reply 23
Original post by racheljns
I'm not really sure tbh, I know you can get extra funding from student finance and you'll have you're student loan for that year as normal wouldn't you? My plan is to save as much as I can over the next 2 years.

It's more difficult than I expected to find specific information. But that's a good plan!! I reckon I'll do that too.
Reply 24
Original post by Xiggie
It's more difficult than I expected to find specific information. But that's a good plan!! I reckon I'll do that too.

If you're really worried I'd ring up student finance or email UCLAN and ask them about it, I'm sure they'll tell you. But funding must come from somewhere because its compulsory so they expect you to go. I heard you don't have to go for a full year either, it's either 1, 2 or 3 terms, but I'm not quite sure.
Hey, sorry I'm new to all of this! I was just wanting to see if anyone else is starting on the Asia Pacific Studies (Japanese) course this September? 😄
Reply 26
Original post by Raychie_Dee
Hey, sorry I'm new to all of this! I was just wanting to see if anyone else is starting on the Asia Pacific Studies (Japanese) course this September? 😄

I am! :biggrin: currently on a gap year right now but I'm really excited :smile:
Original post by Laundry5
I am! :biggrin: currently on a gap year right now but I'm really excited :smile:

Thats great! I am so nervous about making friends, but it is nice being able to speak to possible classmates! 😁
Reply 28
Thats great! I am so nervous about making friends, but it is nice being able to speak to possible classmates! 😁

Me too, but mainly flatmates :s-smilie: hoping it shouldn't be tooooo difficult making friends on the course since everyone should have interests in common :smile:
Me too, but mainly flatmates :s-smilie: hoping it shouldn't be tooooo difficult making friends on the course since everyone should have interests in common :smile:

Yeah 😆 I will be with 4th year students because I told the accommodation staff I am nervous and quiet (dont really like to party) 😂 But the only problem is I will be away from other students around my age.. 😩
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Yeah 😆 I will be with 4th year students because I told the accommodation staff I am nervous and quiet (dont really like to party) 😂 But the only problem is I will be away from other students around my age.. 😩

There will still be lots of people on the course who are the same age :smile:
and I'm thinking about joining the Japan society but i'm sure there's going to be enough opportunity to make friends, even if they aren't the same age :smile: I went to Tokyo alone to do a short lang/culture course 2 years ago and I was one of the only 17 year olds and and only 4 people of 80 were from the UK, everyone else was around 20 and either Swedish, American or Korean, but in the end even though I was reserved it was easy to make friends because everybody wanted to ^-^
There will still be lots of people on the course who are the same age :smile:
and I'm thinking about joining the Japan society but i'm sure there's going to be enough opportunity to make friends, even if they aren't the same age :smile: I went to Tokyo alone to do a short lang/culture course 2 years ago and I was one of the only 17 year olds and and only 4 people of 80 were from the UK, everyone else was around 20 and either Swedish, American or Korean, but in the end even though I was reserved it was easy to make friends because everybody wanted to ^-^

You have been to Tokyo? *_* Thats amazing! I'm hoping to finally find some people who actually enjoy anime and manga (never met any in all my life) 😫
Reply 32
You have been to Tokyo? *_* Thats amazing! I'm hoping to finally find some people who actually enjoy anime and manga (never met any in all my life) 😫

I was lucky enough to get a small grant (but I live in the middle of nowhere so there wasn't any competition)
same :/ only know one other.. who was the person to introduce me in the first place :l
I'd say its almost guaranteed you'll meet at least one :smile: I'm hoping to find someone who lives in the same halls as me on the course
I was lucky enough to get a small grant (but I live in the middle of nowhere so there wasn't any competition)
same :/ only know one other.. who was the person to introduce me in the first place :l
I'd say its almost guaranteed you'll meet at least one :smile: I'm hoping to find someone who lives in the same halls as me on the course

I will be living at Liberty Court (: pretty much right next to the main building 😆
Reply 34
I will be living at Liberty Court (: pretty much right next to the main building 😆

Wish I'd gone for Liberty :frown: but I'm at Whitendale instead because of money reasons :L it's practically in eye sight of the adelphi building though (y)
Wish I'd gone for Liberty :frown: but I'm at Whitendale instead because of money reasons :L it's practically in eye sight of the adelphi building though (y)

I know, accommodation isn't cheap! 😫 Do you think they will let us know which study books we need for the course? Because I'd like to buy them as soon as possible so I know I have everything I need 😆
Reply 36
I know, accommodation isn't cheap! 😫 Do you think they will let us know which study books we need for the course? Because I'd like to buy them as soon as possible so I know I have everything I need 😆

I really hope so.. I did read on one of these discussions that we could be following the Genki book series, it was a couple of years ago, but I don't know why they'd change if it was true. I already have them, but they should let people know because they're really expensive D:
I really hope so.. I did read on one of these discussions that we could be following the Genki book series, it was a couple of years ago, but I don't know why they'd change if it was true. I already have them, but they should let people know because they're really expensive D:

Oh right! Well, I might ring up the Uni and ask them if they can find out for me or something (:
Reply 38
Oh right! Well, I might ring up the Uni and ask them if they can find out for me or something (:

good idea :smile: I might e-mail them anyway... before I go all out on my amazon wish list :L
Hey guys^^ Thought I'd introduce myself as I've got an offer to study APS (Japanese) at UCLan, which is my first choice so really excited. Just need to accept and start sorting out accommodation I guess:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest