The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone already been on taylor vinters vacation scheme? How have you found it?
When it says a vacation scheme is open to penultimate year law students and LAW GRADUATES does that mean a 3rd year law student can apply?
Reply 5482
Original post by xLittleMissyx
When it says a vacation scheme is open to penultimate year law students and LAW GRADUATES does that mean a 3rd year law student can apply?

I'm pretty certain the answer to your question is yes.
Has anyone head successfully from government legal service????!

I haven't heard anything
Original post by student652
Has anyone head successfully from government legal service????!

I haven't heard anything

Some people have had rejections but I haven't heard anything
Original post by dierks
I'm pretty certain the answer to your question is yes.

Original post by Hobes91
Some people have had rejections but I haven't heard anything

Yeah I saw some people have had rejections... Just strange we still haven't heard?! I emailed them yesterday asking when I would hear but still haven't had a reply!
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hey.. so I just got my first year results and I'm extremely disappointed with myself and know that there's not really much chance of me getting a vacation scheme for next year.

Grades:
Law of Torts- 61%
Public Law- 58%
Criminal Law- 58%
Contract- 58%

I know. They're bad. My coursework was all of 2:1 (65%) standard but my exams have seriously effected my overall score and I'm very upset with myself.

What are my options??

(Side point: I have attended 4 law firm open days, I have a weeks work experience with DLA Piper coming up, possibly work experience with BT's legal team, work experience at a solicitors firm, part of Pathways to Law programme, I've had a full time job as a sales assistant coming up to 2 years, ABB at A level, extra curricular = netball team, representee for a society etc)

Thank you in advance

There are two ways you can look at this.

1) you could sit around and complain...though this will achieve nothing and you'll be no better off.

2) you could reflect on why it is that your grades were not as good as you seem to have expected. Make a resolution to do better next year. Even if you choose not to apply to vac schemes next year (I think that would be a poor decision personally. You should email/call grad recruitment teams to see if it's worth you trying), you could always do so in your third with - hopefully- stronger results.

All is not lost. But learn from this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by student652
Yeah I saw some people have had rejections... Just strange we still haven't heard?! I emailed them yesterday asking when I would hear but still haven't had a reply!

I've emailed too and no reply. Very annoying!
Has anyone had a vacation scheme at Stephenson Harwood yet and if so what did the assessment day involve?
Anyone done a Hugh James vac scheme? My two week placement starts soon and I'm bricking it about the Training Contract assessment at the end!!
Original post by Hobes91
I've emailed too and no reply. Very annoying!

Have they got back to you?
Original post by Kim2222
Have they got back to you?

No!
Original post by narusku
There are two ways you can look at this.

1) you could sit around and complain...though this will achieve nothing and you'll be no better off.

2) you could reflect on why it is that your grades were not as good as you seem to have expected. Make a resolution to do better next year. Even if you choose not to apply to vac schemes next year (I think that would be a poor decision personally. You should email/call grad recruitment teams to see if it's worth you trying), you could always do so in your third with - hopefully- stronger results.

All is not lost. But learn from this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying. Many people have said to email firms but surely they'd just say no anyway as their minimum requirement is a 2:1 anyway? Definitely need to review my exam strategy, i think thats what let me down.
Original post by ItsJustMe17
Hey.. so I just got my first year results and I'm extremely disappointed with myself and know that there's not really much chance of me getting a vacation scheme for next year.

Grades:
Law of Torts- 61%
Public Law- 58%
Criminal Law- 58%
Contract- 58%

I know. They're bad. My coursework was all of 2:1 (65%) standard but my exams have seriously effected my overall score and I'm very upset with myself.

What are my options??

(Side point: I have attended 4 law firm open days, I have a weeks work experience with DLA Piper coming up, possibly work experience with BT's legal team, work experience at a solicitors firm, part of Pathways to Law programme, I've had a full time job as a sales assistant coming up to 2 years, ABB at A level, extra curricular = netball team, representee for a society etc)

Thank you in advance

It would have been better if you had a broader spread of marks, so even something like 65,65,52,52. It would have came to the same mark, but would show that you're capable of getting a solid 2.1.

My first year marks weren't much better than yours, and I did pretty well on the vac scheme front. You'll struggle to get vac schemes, because of the combination of your first year marks and your A-Levels.

It might be worth sending a few apps, if not just focus on getting a solid 2.1 next year and apply for TCs next summer.
Hey,

Has anybody had any experience in a DLA Piper vac scheme?

I start mine on Monday and I'm really nervous, can anybody offer any advice?
Original post by liarpoker
It would have been better if you had a broader spread of marks, so even something like 65,65,52,52. It would have came to the same mark, but would show that you're capable of getting a solid 2.1.

My first year marks weren't much better than yours, and I did pretty well on the vac scheme front. You'll struggle to get vac schemes, because of the combination of your first year marks and your A-Levels.

It might be worth sending a few apps, if not just focus on getting a solid 2.1 next year and apply for TCs next summer.

What did you get in first year if you don't mind? And idk I guess I'll see and look around, but honestly think I'll.just try again next year. But it really has knocked my confidence and I'm wondering if I should continue with this career path or look elsewhere. I was so set on the solicitor route I haven't really thought of much else. *sighs*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, does anyone have any experience attending DWF's assessment day? Please let me know. Thanks :smile:
Original post by xLittleMissyx

Penultimate year means second to last so......hate to burst your bubble but it means second years and not third years,as that would be final year students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Had to turn down a last minute offer for a VS place for BDB as I'm at another firm right now but received a TC offer from TLT! Happy bunny indeed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending