The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
Yeah you'd think with teaching it would be regular. Do you have any idea if they pay you preparation? I think it's £20 per hour teaching but obviously id spend a lot of my own time preparing so I'd want some sort of allowance. I don't want to ask them though because it always looks bad asking about money before being offered the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think so- I think that's one of the main issues with that way of paying. Perhaps for hours you're in work e.g. a free in between two lessons?

I think it's perfectly OK to ask. It shows you are being realistic and genuinely considering it. You don't have to put a positive or negative spin on it, just keep it factual... How many hours can I expect a week and is the pay for teaching hours only or preparation hours also?

However, a teacher is only paid their salary however many hours prep they put in. At £20 an hour, you'd need to do around 1100 a year, so about 28 per week in term time to get a teaching salary.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I don't think so- I think that's one of the main issues with that way of paying. Perhaps for hours you're in work e.g. a free in between two lessons?

I think it's perfectly OK to ask. It shows you are being realistic and genuinely considering it. You don't have to put a positive or negative spin on it, just keep it factual... How many hours can I expect a week and is the pay for teaching hours only or preparation hours also?

However, a teacher is only paid their salary however many hours prep they put in. At £20 an hour, you'd need to do around 1100 a year, so about 28 per week in term time to get a teaching salary.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have told me it is 13 hours a week. That doesn't bother me but it would certainly bother me if I am spending my night preparing for one lesson and I get £20 for that. I've only just sent them an email asking if it would count towards my NQT year or not, so I won't send them another yet. But I do need to ask because it would definitely put me off. My boyfriend was hourly paid at a university and he got prep money but I don't know if that is how it is in our world :rolleyes: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now that I've sobered up I just want to say thank you to all of you. I've loved having people to talk to and I've loved the support and guidance and the sense of not being alone in this. I know we didn't all make it, but you all deserve the recognition of how bloody hard you worked over this last year. I couldn't have done it without any of you and I love you guys :')

Extra super thanks to carnationlilyrose. You've pretty much been like a PGCE mother to us all and knew exactly what to say without freaking us all out. Thanks for putting up with my freak outs and daft questions.:ta:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Now that I've sobered up I just want to say thank you to all of you. I've loved having people to talk to and I've loved the support and guidance and the sense of not being alone in this. I know we didn't all make it, but you all deserve the recognition of how bloody hard you worked over this last year. I couldn't have done it without any of you and I love you guys :':wink:

Extra super thanks to carnationlilyrose. You've pretty much been like a PGCE mother to us all and knew exactly what to say without freaking us all out. Thanks for putting up with my freak outs and daft questions.:ta:

Aww, sweetheart! Thanks! You've all been great and those of you going on to do the job will be great assets to the profession. All the very best of luck.
Yes, thank you to all that have been here to be a sounding board :smile:
Good luck to all those going on to NqT, i will continue to lurk and cheer you all on while dealing with my ever growing bump :smile:
Best of luck to all xx
Just got my septum done to celebrate. Now to work out how to flip it for school.
Having another PGCE nightmare :frown: I haven't been withdrawn officially for some reason yet so I'm having to ring all sorts of people who just refer me onto others. What a mess.
Original post by Ratchit99
Yes, thank you to all that have been here to be a sounding board :smile:
Good luck to all those going on to NqT, i will continue to lurk and cheer you all on while dealing with my ever growing bump :smile:
Best of luck to all xx

I'm not sure I congratulated you on this, so let me do so now. As a mother of two ancient children, I am here to give unasked-for advice if need be!!
Original post by alabelle
Having another PGCE nightmare :frown: I haven't been withdrawn officially for some reason yet so I'm having to ring all sorts of people who just refer me onto others. What a mess.

Oh dear. What is the effect of not being withdrawn?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm not sure I congratulated you on this, so let me do so now. As a mother of two ancient children, I am here to give unasked-for advice if need be!!

Haha, thank you, much appreciated. Had my 12 week scan on wednesday and the little dude was having a disco so it looks like theyre going to be an active one!
Ive been trying to decide when to tell my new employer as I start on monday. When they interviewed and I accepted I didnt know I was pregnant and obviously until the thumbs up that all was ok on wednesday it was all up in the air and high risk. I have to meet with Hr when I arrive on monday so Im thinking that honesty from the beginning is the best policy instead of faking it for weeks and then being like oh by the way, what do you think?
Haha, thank you, much appreciated. Had my 12 week scan on wednesday and the little dude was having a disco so it looks like theyre going to be an active one!
Ive been trying to decide when to tell my new employer as I start on monday. When they interviewed and I accepted I didnt know I was pregnant and obviously until the thumbs up that all was ok on wednesday it was all up in the air and high risk. I have to meet with Hr when I arrive on monday so Im thinking that honesty from the beginning is the best policy instead of faking it for weeks and then being like oh by the way, what do you think?

I think honesty is the only way, legally, morally and practically, tbh. You aren't going to be able to hide it. It's an awkward situation, but you won't be the first or last. Are you intending to go back to work afterwards? Not gonna lie, NQT year + new first baby = a pretty difficult time.
I think honesty is the only way, legally, morally and practically, tbh. You aren't going to be able to hide it. It's an awkward situation, but you won't be the first or last. Are you intending to go back to work afterwards? Not gonna lie, NQT year + new first baby = a pretty difficult time.

Yes, planning to take my leave and then go back. Im not actually going in to my NQT ive just got a standard office job so hopefully far less disruptive as 2 others are starting with me. I'll be there till xmas so its not like I will be there 2 months and then leave!
Yes, planning to take my leave and then go back. Im not actually going in to my NQT ive just got a standard office job so hopefully far less disruptive as 2 others are starting with me. I'll be there till xmas so its not like I will be there 2 months and then leave!

Right, my bad. I'm sorry - I can't keep track of who's doing what on this thread! Being there until Xmas is a reasonable stint.
Right, my bad. I'm sorry - I can't keep track of who's doing what on this thread! Being there until Xmas is a reasonable stint.

Hopefully, let the littleone get a bit older and i can look at doing my NQT then :smile:
Hopefully, let the littleone get a bit older and i can look at doing my NQT then :smile:

Good plan. I can't remember (a running theme today, it seems!) if there's an expiry date on the PGCE. Is there?
Good plan. I can't remember (a running theme today, it seems!) if there's an expiry date on the PGCE. Is there?

I heard its 5 years not too certain though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was 5 years if you started the timer on the NqT (i.e. Started it and had a break) but if you dont start it then its indefinate, but obviously the further from the course you get the rustier you get.
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd heard the same, but wasn't sure.
I thought it was 5 years if you started the timer on the NqT (i.e. Started it and had a break) but if you dont start it then its indefinate, but obviously the further from the course you get the rustier you get.

Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

After you get QTS you can do as much short term supply for up to five years from that date. After that you can ONLY teach in an position which counts towards your NQT year until you complete it. I don't believe there's any limit on when you can complete NQT itself though as you've said you'd probably struggle to do it after a long break.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhhh, I've just thought of something I wanted to mention.

One of my tutors partly runs the UK National Writing Project. The are a network of teachers writing groups, which are usually monthly groups where teachers meet up to write themselves, and discuss the teaching of writing. The idea is if you teach writing you should write yourself. It's a lovely kind of group to be involved in... I joined in my NQT year and really enjoyed discussing pedagogy and theory once a month. It keep me grounded to it and stopped me getting caught up in the whirlwind of assessment, reports, data, planning etc that is NQT and forgetting the big picture.

Just thought I'd mention it as some primary or language teachers might want to join one. There is a list of groups across the country on the National Writing Project's UK website and some other resources.

XXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending