The Student Room Group

Got a third in second year. Can I get a 1st overall?

Hi guys,

So my second year is worth 40% and I got a low third.

FIRST semester: 41, 48, 40
Second semester: 52,48, 40

I'm very sad with these results. What would it take for me to get a first next year? I'll have three modules for each semester (two semesters). One module in first semester will be all coursework, and then one module that's 40% coursework, and 60% exam, and then my dissertation module. For my last semester, I'll have two modules that're 40 cw, 60 exam, and then my dissertation module.

Please tell me what I would need in all my modules to get a 1st, 2.1, and a 2.2.

Thanks a lot.

- I'd justify why I slacked but it was due to my head being elsewhere unfortunately.. I know. *cries... Just want to know it's possible.
Reply 1
Hello, I'm assuming each of your modules were 20 credits? If so according to my calculations you averaged 44.83.

If your final year is worth 60%, you need to average

86.78% next year to average 70% overall
70.12% to average 60% overall
53.45 to average 50% overall

Hope this helps :smile:
45% overall in 2nd year gives: 2:2 requires 53.3%, 2:1 requires 70%, 1st requires 86.7%. So to be honest getting a first is fairly unrealistic, a 2:1 might be doable.
Original post by Helloworld_95
45% overall in 2nd year gives: 2:2 requires 53.3%, 2:1 requires 70%, 1st requires 86.7%. So to be honest getting a first is fairly unrealistic, a 2:1 might be doable.

Hi,

As in I would need to get 86.7 in all of my modules from first to second semester in order to get a first overall?
Original post by smallsvill123
Hi,

As in I would need to get 86.7 in all of my modules from first to second semester in order to get a first overall?

Yep
Hi,

You'll need to average that in your third year in order to get a first overall for your degree, which is going to be pretty tough.

As above, if you scrape a first in your 3rd year, you'll only get a 2:1 overall
Original post by Crystalclearmagic
You'll need to average that in your third year in order to get a first overall for your degree, which is going to be pretty tough.

As above, if you scrape a first in your 3rd year, you'll only get a 2:1 overall

so if i get all 2.1s in modules next year would that amount to a 2.1 overall?
so if i get all 2.1s in modules next year would that amount to a 2.1 overall?

If next year you get 2:1s in all your modules, then although you'll have achieved a 2:1 for third year you will only be graduating with a 2:2 because your second year result pulls it down
If next year you get 2:1s in all your modules, then although you'll have achieved a 2:1 for third year you will only be graduating with a 2:2 because your second year result pulls it down

so what do i need to graduate with 2.1/ 1st...is that possible
so what do i need to graduate with 2.1/ 1st...is that possible

As the numbers show it, to graduate with a first you have to get over 87% average in your final year which is pretty hard! You're probably more realistically looking at graduating with a 2:1 but even this requires you to get a first in your final year (so over 70%).

If in your third year you average anything below a first, you're looking at graduating with a 2:2 and below.
As the numbers show it, to graduate with a first you have to get over 87% average in your final year which is pretty hard! You're probably more realistically looking at graduating with a 2:1 but even this requires you to get a first in your final year (so over 70%).

If in your third year you average anything below a first, you're looking at graduating with a 2:2 and below.

ok i see. so i could get some firsts (say two firsts), and some 2.1s and graduate with a 2.1 overall..so long as I have like three 1sts, and less 2.1s.. hmm. challenge but hopefullly
ok i see. so i could get some firsts (say two firsts), and some 2.1s and graduate with a 2.1 overall..so long as I have like three 1sts, and less 2.1s.. hmm. challenge but hopefullly

Well it depends on how your modules in third year are weighted.

Also getting a first or 2:1 doesn't really matter, what matters more is the actual mark. To average a first in third year (so to get a 2:1 overall) you could get 2 firsts (say both 70%) and one 2:1 mark (say 60%) but if the module you got the 2:1 in is weighted more then it might pull the whole overall mark down.
Hi guys,

So my second year is worth 40% and I got a low third.

FIRST semester: 41, 48, 40
Second semester: 52,48, 40

I'm very sad with these results. What would it take for me to get a first next year? I'll have three modules for each semester (two semesters). One module in first semester will be all coursework, and then one module that's 40% coursework, and 60% exam, and then my dissertation module. For my last semester, I'll have two modules that're 40 cw, 60 exam, and then my dissertation module.

Please tell me what I would need in all my modules to get a 1st, 2.1, and a 2.2.

Thanks a lot.

- I'd justify why I slacked but it was due to my head being elsewhere unfortunately.. I know. *cries... Just want to know it's possible.

Some leeway between grades are usually given but the amount depends on each university for eg at Brunel you can get a 2:1 with a minimum GPA of 9.5 (11 is the "natural" GPA for a 2:1) if you have have least 58% of credits of more at a 2:1 grade or above (B- and above) Information about it should be found in your transcript that they your uni would post to you shortly after you get your results online :smile:
HI,

All the modules are 20 credits....with first semester having a module (dissertation module), which that has two assignments that are 15% each, and then in my last semester, a 70% assignment which is my 10,000 word dissertation essay. Thanks for the help guys. I'll work my heart off and aim for a first. I'd be happy with a 2.1 though of course. Even with a 2.2. But I'm working towards a 1st. Think it's possible? haha.. !
Well it depends on how your modules in third year are weighted.

Also getting a first or 2:1 doesn't really matter, what matters more is the actual mark. To average a first in third year (so to get a 2:1 overall) you could get 2 firsts (say both 70%) and one 2:1 mark (say 60%) but if the module you got the 2:1 in is weighted more then it might pull the whole overall mark down.

HI,

All the modules are 20 credits....with first semester having a module (dissertation module), which that has two assignments that are 15% each, and then in my last semester, a 70% assignment which is my 10,000 word dissertation essay. Thanks for the help guys. I'll work my heart off and aim for a first. I'd be happy with a 2.1 though of course. Even with a 2.2. But I'm working towards a 1st. Think it's possible? haha.. ! - so all are weighed the same..kinda
HI,

All the modules are 20 credits....with first semester having a module (dissertation module), which that has two assignments that are 15% each, and then in my last semester, a 70% assignment which is my 10,000 word dissertation essay. Thanks for the help guys. I'll work my heart off and aim for a first. I'd be happy with a 2.1 though of course. Even with a 2.2. But I'm working towards a 1st. Think it's possible? haha.. ! - so all are weighed the same..kinda

So let me get this straight:
Your third year modules:
1st Semester -
Dissertation module part 1: 15%
part 2: 15%

Last Semester -
Dissertation: 70%

Is that your only module?
HI,
All the modules are 20 credits....with first semester having a module (dissertation module), which that has two assignments that are 15% each, and then in my last semester, a 70% assignment which is my 10,000 word dissertation essay. Thanks for the help guys. I'll work my heart off and aim for a first. I'd be happy with a 2.1 though of course. Even with a 2.2. But I'm working towards a 1st. Think it's possible? haha.. !

Go for it :smile: Nobody did better aiming for 70% rather than 80%. Don't listen to people who say you can't do it - it's in people's natures to judge, but only you know your limitations.

however, just remember that "genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration". It's all very well having an hour's inspiration on TSR, but it will be the long, hard, cold, miserable slog in the library that gets you the grades. Be organised, work five times as hard as everyone else (not that difficult, as most students are last minute people), and it will pay off. The trick is not to work when motivated - it is to be able to work when unmotivated.

Hope you get it. It would be a nice story.
(edited 8 years ago)

I Totally agree with Octohedral, who talks like psychologist :smile:

Reply 18
I know this thread is old, but I need some advice!!!
So in my second year, I got a 2.2 (57%). I'm currently now in my final year and I've just got back from the USA. The first semester I got 48%. My second year is worth 40 % and my final year is worth 60% (30% first semester and 30% second semester). Can some tell me how much I would need to get in my second semester to get a 2.1, overall please?
Original post by lu234134
I know this thread is old, but I need some advice!!!
So in my second year, I got a 2.2 (57%). I'm currently now in my final year and I've just got back from the USA. The first semester I got 48%. My second year is worth 40 % and my final year is worth 60% (30% first semester and 30% second semester). Can some tell me how much I would need to get in my second semester to get a 2.1, overall please?

You would need 78%.

Quick Reply

Latest