The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sevchenko
If Wenger really wanted him he could have snapped his fingers anytime over the last 3 years and paid the £25M. The need for a new DM has been around for that long. Wenger himself probably has a pretty good idea of Schneiderlin's capabilities so who knows why he's hesitant to buy.

It could be Coq's emergence, Wilshere possibly in a DM role or they may be working on bringing in better players out there. I personally think MS is a no brainer, he off to Utd I think.

Is that a valid argument though? 3 years ago he was playing in the Championship and wasn't anything special. It's also clearly not that simple because he had offers last year but the club wouldn't let him leave, and we all know how reluctant Wenger is to spend that sum of money.

A Carrick, Schneiderlin, Herrera midfield 3 would be lovely. I'm still not convinced we're signing him though.
Original post by sr90
Is that a valid argument though? 3 years ago he was playing in the Championship and wasn't anything special. It's also clearly not that simple because he had offers last year but the club wouldn't let him leave, and we all know how reluctant Wenger is to spend that sum of money.

A Carrick, Schneiderlin, Herrera midfield 3 would be lovely. I'm still not convinced we're signing him though.

Haven't been following much of united tbh, wouldn't carrick/schneiderlin/fellani be very much competing for similar roles?
Original post by sr90

I meant from the start of 13/14 season even then we signed Ox in the summer of 2011 based on a excellent season in the championship the year before in which Schneiderlin featured heavily. The way Wenger religiously watches football and monitors talent especially French I wouldn't put it past him to have kept an eye on a young fellow Alsatian whilst he was personally looking at Ox but that assumption kinda speculative but not completely unreasonable.

I think Schneiderlin shot himself in the foot last summer, whilst he was a preaching "I want a fair deal for all parties if I leave" Liverpool and Arsenal made their moves early and it got to the point where too many players had left.

Wenger isn't reluctant to spend money, it's just that he's insistent that the transfer fee has to propionate to the output from the player. Philippe Auclair, who's pretty reliable, tweeted that the player favours a move to Arsenal but there's been problems between Arsenal reps and and the player's reps. so who know how it'll end up.
Original post by JammyGit07
Haven't been following much of united tbh, wouldn't carrick/schneiderlin/fellani be very much competing for similar roles?

I assumed Carrick was taking more of a DLPM role, and Fellaini was far more attacking minded. Schneiderlin would fit between the two, acting as a holding mid or B2B depending on who United were playing.
Original post by sr90
I refuse to believe that you aren't in for him. He's perfect for you and a French player would always choose Arsenal over United.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why we sign every French player linked to us now isn't it

Cabaye
Lacazette
Griezman
Sissoko
Aurier

That's just recently too
Who's Griezman?
Original post by JammyGit07

Carrick/Schneiderlin/Blind
Schneiderlin/Fellaini Herrera/Mata/Di Maria

Morgan would take Fellaini's spot in the team and could fill in for Carrick when he inevitably gets injured or needs a rest (a 34 year old can't be playing every game). Perfect long term replacement as well because I don't think Carrick will last beyond next season.

Original post by AR_95
That's why we sign every French player linked to us now isn't it

Cabaye
Lacazette
Griezman
Sissoko
Aurier

That's just recently too

How does that have anything to do with that I said?
Original post by sr90
Carrick/Schneiderlin/Blind
Schneiderlin/Fellaini Herrera/Mata/Di Maria

Morgan would take Fellaini's spot in the team and could fill in for Carrick when he inevitably gets injured or needs a rest (a 34 year old can't be playing every game). Perfect long term replacement as well because I don't think Carrick will last beyond next season.

How does that have anything to do with that I said?

Just because he's French doesn't make him any more likely to join us
Original post by Arkasia
I assumed Carrick was taking more of a DLPM role, and Fellaini was far more attacking minded. Schneiderlin would fit between the two, acting as a holding mid or B2B depending on who United were playing.

No Schneiderlin will play in Fellaini's position. United have been playing 4-3-3 recently and Fellaini will get replaced in the starting 11 by Schneiderlin, the only way I don't see him doing that is if Carrick were to get injured and Van Gaal probably will just use Blind there.
Thought this was the Arsenal thread?
Original post by jam277
No Schneiderlin will play in Fellaini's position. United have been playing 4-3-3 recently and Fellaini will get replaced in the starting 11 by Schneiderlin, the only way I don't see him doing that is if Carrick were to get injured and Van Gaal probably will just use Blind there.

Will be interesting to see if Herrera keeps starting though, I reckon him and Mata will rotate. LVG likes playing a 6,8 and 10 in the 3 and Depay and Di Maria will cover the wings anyway. Personally I see Herrera being benched. Herrera and Fellaini played as interchangeable no.8 and no.10's last year because of defensive deficiencies, and now we've got that security and combativeness in midfield we need the better playmaker and creator in there which is Mata. Can see the guy having a beast season, 20 assists possibly.
(edited 8 years ago)
If Ospina is gonna be on his way as expected, then hopefully his Copa America performances might push his price up a bit! He's putting in an amazing performance against Argentina right now.
So when does the back-tracking on Ospina begin?
Ospina has been so good today. Don't think he's a PL level keeper though for a team like Arsenal, not enough presence but a great shot stopper. Would do well across the continent though.
Yeah he's good but he's not top level.

Went the right way for two of Argentina's pens but missed both cos he's so damn short too.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Yeah he's good but he's not top level.

Went the right way for two of Argentina's pens but missed both cos he's so damn short too.

Yeah was going to say this essentially.
If he was 3 inches taller or had a better wingspan Argentina wouldn't be in the semi final.
The issue with Ospina is that his flaws - his height - can't be altered, whereas Szczesny is younger and his temperament, work ethic etc can all be changed via good management and work.

Still, great double save.
Wasnt even that great a save tbh. And Ospina is weak with long shots even if he's good at point blank reactions.

The difference between top GKs and good ones is in everything else but shot stopping anyway. Presence, decision making, calmness, cross handling etc. Pretty much every GK is capable of a wonder-save in contrast. Jens Lehmann rarely made these saves but everything else was spot on generally and I know which of the two is more important. Of course the absolutely top top keepers have the lot, like Neuer, Courtois etc. Cech is more about the presence, focus and reliability than the shot stopping, although he's hardly weak at that either.

Ospina for £4m is a reasonable fee if we get it. Would mean we've hugely upgraded our team for net £6.9m which must be good business.
(edited 8 years ago)
^^
Arsenal and Madrid linked with Ghoulam.

3x better than Gibbs.

One of the best LB's in the world. You guys should pray.