The Student Room Group

Genius

Can Genius be taught or is it genetic?

Scroll to see replies

I believe intelligence on that level is inherited. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Maid Marian
I believe intelligence on that level is inherited. :smile:

You don't think environment plays any part whatsoever?
Original post by Paladian
You don't think environment plays any part whatsoever?

I suppose a bit. A good environment can bring out your genius-like qualities. But I don't believe you can teach it.
Reply 4
Original post by Maid Marian
I suppose a bit. A good environment can bring out your genius-like qualities. But I don't believe you can teach it.

I'd go so far to say its 50/50 genetic and environmental. Its difficult to say though what the environmental part is though.
I think the right environment can bring out your best talents, making you appear 'genius'. Some people can be true geniuses but never have it brought out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
What do you mean by "genius"?
Reply 7
Original post by alow
What do you mean by "genius"?

Somebody who has an extremely high IQ like Stephen Hawking who has an IQ of 160.
Reply 8
Somebody who has an extremely high IQ like Stephen Hawking who has an IQ of 160.

IQ is utter bull**** though.
Reply 9
Original post by alow
IQ is utter bull**** though.

Why do you think that?
Reply 10
Original post by enaayrah
I think the right environment can bring out your best talents, making you appear 'genius'. Some people can be true geniuses but never have it brought out.

What would you consider the right environment?

For example: Mozart was brought up in a musical household.
Reply 11
Why do you think that?

It's an awful way of testing intelligence. All it really shows is how good you are at IQ tests.

If you're intelligent, you'll have something more important to show for it than a stupid IQ test score.
Reply 12
Original post by alow
It's an awful way of testing intelligence. All it really shows is how good you are at IQ tests.

If you're intelligent, you'll have something more important to show for it than a stupid IQ test score.

Well then a genius is somebody who achieves something in his field that surpasses all others before him.
Reply 13
Well then a genius is somebody who achieves something in his field that surpasses all others before him.

So basically anyone who does original research?
What would you consider the right environment?

For example: Mozart was brought up in a musical household.

Basically that :smile:
Inherited OP.
Why do you think that?

My IQ is apparently higher than Einsteins but lower than Silvester Stallones. If you believe that then IQ isnt BS for you.

Doesn't help with my spelling or do the washing up for me though :laugh:
Reply 17

Um.. Do not know about others but with Me, it is genetic, individual and unique 100 %. Or self taught.
Seriously .. I do not think Genius can be taught, I think genius as such, as a concept could only be genetic or inherited (possibly) or something a person is born with.
What I think a person can be taught are some super skills or performance, maybe an Application of their Genius so to speak. I think a person can be taught to use their energy, their potential, their skills and abilities more or less to the maximum, or be stimulated into doing that, they can probably be guided towards channelling their abilities that way or to that level.
So like.. in a way, I think Genius can be assisted or its application enhanced if you like.
But also - with respect - what is Genius anyway? (not trying at all to diminish this concept or such people). What constitutes it? How is it defined? Is it somehow different from Talent? Or the same?.. Anyway, something to think about too probably.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
There is no scientifically precise definition of genius, and the question of whether the notion itself has any real meaning has long been a subject of debate, although psychologists are converging on a definition that emphasizes creativity and eminent achievement.
Reply 19

almost all is inherited ... only a small part is environment conditioning.

Quick Reply

Latest