The Student Room Group

Why are Sikhs allowed to carry religious dagger?

I know it's for peaceful purposes but as we know there are fanatics in every religion. Someone can easily use that as a weapon and stab someone. It has happened in my school in the past. So why is religion put first before safety?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

...because it's a religous dagger.
Original post by King Leonidas
...because it's a religous dagger.

... but it is a weapon. Other people will get prison and a fine for carrying a knife
Damn, didn't know that. I agree that it should be banned but I doubt that many Sikhs use it wrongly.
The same reason a muslim wears a hijab, it's part of their religion lmao
Reply 5
Should be banned but havent heard of a sikh dagger attack to be fair
There is no way that should be allowed. :indiff:
Original post by jshep000

yeh excatly ... full face covering shouldn't be allowed. A headscarf where face is visible should be okay.
Didnt know that, they should be banned.
Original post by sdotd

I'm in a quite a diverse area and there has been several cases of people using it as a weapon. Most don't, yes that's true. But how do we know that every single one of them is mentally stable?

Headscarf is really going to kill you - it is not just muslims who wear headscarf. Dagger looks very dangerous - should be banned.
zzzzz more student room racism again thinking that all asian and non white people are a threat to society
To answer your question it is because it is religious and Sikhs don't go around killing people with it because they are civilised
Original post by sdotd

I've just googled "kirpan attack" and it seems it has been used as a weapon many times across the world
Reply 14
Original post by Historyfrenchfan
To answer your question it is because it is religious and Sikhs don't go around killing people with it because they are civilised

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/Man-murders-businessman-with-his-kirpan/articleshow/28533861.cms

That's a poor comparison. Hijab doesn't threaten your safety.

OP, as it's part of their religion, they have been given permission to have it on them as long as it it not used to harm anyone.

Those who do use it to harm others, are obviously breaking the law and the rest of the Sikh community should not have to suffer because of the actions of the some individuals.

Yes, most. However, we don't know if every single one is mentally stable

Original post by RoundTrip
xD Awesome logic. How old are you? Your dumb.

You call me dumb yet you can't spell you're. Great logic.
zzzzz more student room racism again thinking that all asian and non white people are a threat to society

Asking why religious people don't have to follow the law is racism?

People who are not Sikhs are also civilized, and also do not go around killing people. They still can't carry daggers though.
Reply 19
I guess homosexuality should also banned because it is an easy way of passing on stds and is putting society at risk, or come to think of it the queen wearing her crown because it can fall off and kill someone

Not remotely the same. People are not allowed to carry knives, except Sikhs.

Not sure about how I feel about that to be honest. I don't like religious exceptions, but it isn't like we have much of a problem of Sikhs stabbing people. Maybe just make them wear blunt ones :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest