The Student Room Group

Is it acceptable to judge someone for getting tattoos?

My cousin who's only 15 wants one, her mum is mad and says that people will judge her.

Do you think it's fair to judge someone for getting tattoos? Whether a friend or potential partner

I am not usually judgy but if someone has something more than a small tattoo I have often found that it comes with a particular "attitude" which is a big turnoff.

Scroll to see replies

anybody can judge anybody however they want - it's a free world and you have freedom of thought
as for me, I judge people with tattoos in certain ways, but not in particularly negative ways - I'll judge them as being "less educated" because of the stereotypes of people who have tattoos in our culture, but not less friendly
It depends on the tattoo/location. Normally I am indifferent to them, but a swastika on the forehead sends the wrong message.
Reply 3
Original post by zippity.doodah
anybody can judge anybody however they want - it's a free world and you have freedom of thought
as for me, I judge people with tattoos in certain ways, but not in particularly negative ways - I'll judge them as being "less educated" because of the stereotypes of people who have tattoos in our culture, but not less friendly

I wouldn't judge them as being less educated, a lot of the people I've met with tattoos are actually the middle class musical/hipster sort or the middle class into punk and rock sort. People like that tend to have different values to me though
Reply 4
Well, I can't really help it with guys and girls who have spiders and skulls on their heads. It's horrendous.

I find small and elegant ones on the body super sexy though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it was acceptable in the 80sssss, it was acceptable at the tiiiimmmee
Original post by bassbabe

lol why you talkin like that?
and how's tryna get hench going? :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
My cousin who's only 15 wants one, her mum is mad and says that people will judge her.Do you think it's fair to judge someone for getting tattoos? Whether a friend or potential partnerI am not usually judgy but if someone has something more than a small tattoo I have often found that it comes with a particular "attitude" which is a big turnoff.

anyway erm "acceptable" is an interesting word. there's no one deciding what is acceptable or not. it's up to you how you treat people. Everyone has a right to their opinions though.

Me personally, I see tats so many times that I just ignore them, think nothing of them. As far as attraction, I can look passed it but I'd never get in a relationship with some face or chest tatted chick. :thumbdown:

It depends on the placement, the size, the quality, the meaning, the amount of tats she has.

I don't agree with the attitude thing, women from all backgrounds and social classes get tats.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't judge them as being less educated, a lot of the people I've met with tattoos are actually the middle class musical/hipster sort or the middle class into punk and rock sort. People like that tend to have different values to me though

well I'm yet to meet people with tattoos who are likely to be destined for an academically/intellectually stimulating, or prestigeous, career
Original post by Man.bear.pig

Lmao I was quoting lyrics from an old calvin harris song. It's going very well thanks, I'm starting to see my ab muscles now and my cellulite has faded lol :biggrin: But Im not aiming for a 6 pack cus thats gross on a girl imo lol :redface:
Reply 9
Original post by Man.bear.pig

anyway erm "acceptable" is an interesting word. there's no one deciding what is acceptable or not. it's up to you how you treat people. Everyone has a right to their opinions though.

Me personally, I see tats so many times that I just ignore them, think nothing of them. As far as attraction, I can look passed it but I'd never get in a relationship with some face or chest tatted chick. :thumbdown:

It depends on the placement, the size, the quality, the meaning, the amount of tats she has.

I don't agree with the attitude thing, women from all backgrounds and social classes get tats.

Guys too. Yeah, I've met upper and middle class people with tats too but it usually comes with a certain "rebellious" attitude :yep:

zippity.doodah

I know a lot of journalists (the Guardian reading left wing sort) who have tats actually and are pretty well paid :dontknow:

lol at people not knowing the song.
Guys too. Yeah, I've met upper and middle class people with tats too but it usually comes with a certain "rebellious" attitude :yep:

Well a rebellious mentality sure, but on the secondhand, tats are all over big celebrities so it's a trend. But the attitude, I've seen demure, regal demeanours while she's got a little ribbon of tats on that space over and between the thumb and forefinger. I like those, personally, the henna tat looking ones on the hands are like aphrodisiacs. People are actually copying off that without realising lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol at people not knowing the song.

so?

Lmao I was quoting lyrics from an old calvin harris song. It's going very well thanks, I'm starting to see my ab muscles now and my cellulite has faded lol :biggrin: But Im not aiming for a 6 pack cus thats gross on a girl imo lol :redface:

ohh nice, good for you and keep it up :yy:. Nah I like 6 packs if she has enough meat so it doesn't look like...teenage boy body lol

I know a lot of journalists (the Guardian reading left wing sort) who have tats actually and are pretty well paid :dontknow:

hmm, I wouldn't say that journalism is *that* much of an intelligent career - it's by no means a stupid one and I respect it as a profession, but by intelligent, I mean something like a professor, doctor, surgeon, barrister, etc
Unless they're a tattoo artist, I don't like neck tattoos. But they're okay on Tommy Helm.
I'd be more bothered about whether the tattoos were done well to be honest.
It's just a tattoo, tattoos are badass. No big deal even. I want that same beautiful Tatau that Jason Brody has.
Reply 16
I have no idea what the appeal is, or even why people see (certain) tattoos as "badass". It is perfectly acceptable to judge anyone for anything, everyone does it anyone who says they don't is either lying or too stupid to comprehend what it even entails.

Also personally I think of it as ruining skin.
Original post by Quantex
It depends on the tattoo/location. Normally I am indifferent to them, but a swastika on the forehead sends the wrong message.

I agree completely with this i don't mind tattoos on arms but the face is an automatic no no
Is it your body to be getting concerned?
Pete Doherty has a lot of tattoos and he has bags of academic ability. Many teachers, lawers, doctors etc have tattoos and people are starting to become less judgemental of the people with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending