Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tilly5798
Do we have to book open days?

If you want to visit; I'd like to go to an open day in September if I get good enough results

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by jill800
If you want to visit; I'd like to go to an open day in September if I get good enough results

Posted from TSR Mobile

does durham take part in adjustment or clearing?
Original post by TopDog123
does durham take part in adjustment or clearing?

I talked to an ex-student of college yesterday who works in the Durham university admissions office so came in to talk to us and she said that they were never seen in clearing and adjustment (it's the same list of uni's for both) until last year as things are changing but it also depends on which course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Course:Chemistry
GCSE:3A*8A
AS: Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Applied Science
Predicted: AAAA

Chemistrys entry requirements are A*AA, does this mean one of my teachers will have to predict me an A* so I would have a chance of being accepted, i dont think any of them will, even though i think i can :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Hey! I will hopefully be going to Durham this year to study business Management! For anyone who is wishhing to apply for the course but feel like they've done bad this year not all hope is lost!
My GCSE's: AAAAABBBBB
AS levels: BBCDU
Predicted grades: ABC
Course requirement: AAB

Unfortunately my teachers refused to give higher me predicted grades which is fair enough but I knew I could work hard this year to get AAB so regardless of that I took a gamble and I applied for Four universities that required AAB and one ABB, these where Durham, Birmingham, Manchaster, York and Sheffield and within three weeks of sending my application I got five offers even though my teachers said it was highly unlikely that was going to get any due to my grades. My main thing that cut it out for me was my Personal statement which was 80% work experience and thus showed my passion for business e.g I have had a part time job in retail for the past two years, did Young Enterprice, work experience in the Eversheds law firm worked in a head office for a week, EPQ etc etc. So main thing for me is that your personal statememnt plays a biggggggggg part in the application process especially if you don't have good grades, but you still have to get the grades obviously and I hopefully will with the ampunt of work and effort and resits that I did! Hope this helped!
Original post by amyof
Hey! I will hopefully be going to Durham this year to study business Management! For anyone who is wishhing to apply for the course but feel like they've done bad this year not all hope is lost!
My GCSE's: AAAAABBBBB
AS levels: BBCDU
Predicted grades: ABC
Course requirement: AAB

Unfortunately my teachers refused to give higher me predicted grades which is fair enough but I knew I could work hard this year to get AAB so regardless of that I took a gamble and I applied for Four universities that required AAB and one ABB, these where Durham, Birmingham, Manchaster, York and Sheffield and within three weeks of sending my application I got five offers even though my teachers said it was highly unlikely that was going to get any due to my grades. My main thing that cut it out for me was my Personal statement which was 80% work experience and thus showed my passion for business e.g I have had a part time job in retail for the past two years, did Young Enterprice, work experience in the Eversheds law firm worked in a head office for a week, EPQ etc etc. So main thing for me is that your personal statememnt plays a biggggggggg part in the application process especially if you don't have good grades, but you still have to get the grades obviously and I hopefully will with the ampunt of work and effort and resits that I did! Hope this helped!

Firstly congrats! Secondly thanks for posting, I'm currently gaining experience working in a genetics lab so hopefully it'll help with my application, you've definitely made me feel even more motivated to pursue Durham!
Course applying for: Biological Science
GCSEs: 7A*s, 2As, 1B
AS Levels: Biology, Psychology, Geography, Art
Predictions: Yet to be decided, but probably will be A*AA

Went to the open day today and absolutely fell in love with the uni (particularly the Castle)!
Course applying for: Computer Science
GCSEs: 8A*s, 3As
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, ICT
Predictions: AAAA AS, likely to get AAAB. Predicted A*A*AA at A level.

Went to the open day today, loved the feel of the place.
Original post by Mattematics
Course applying for: Computer Science
GCSEs: 8A*s, 3As
AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, ICT
Predictions: AAAA AS, likely to get AAAB. Predicted A*A*AA at A level.

Went to the open day today, loved the feel of the place.

You know the building the CompSci talk was in? The lecturer said the computer labs were upstairs but I thought the computing/maths building was the old crappy one opposite the building the talk was held in. Do you know where we would be working? It's really bugging me, if we have to have lectures in that ****ty old building then I'm considering not applying. Also which talk did you go to (time-wise)? Maybe I saw you. ;p
Original post by JamieOH
You know the building the CompSci talk was in? The lecturer said the computer labs were upstairs but I thought the computing/maths building was the old crappy one opposite the building the talk was held in. Do you know where we would be working? It's really bugging me, if we have to have lectures in that ****ty old building then I'm considering not applying. Also which talk did you go to (time-wise)? Maybe I saw you. ;p

I thought Durham was really nice! I'm also thinking of doing Computer Science, not 100% sure yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey I know this is probably a long shot but is anyone doing the week long Durham summer school to lower a conditional offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by phenolphthalein-
I thought Durham was really nice! I'm also thinking of doing Computer Science, not 100% sure yet.

I agree the area is very nice and the place has a good feel about it. Cons for me were the look of that computing building (imo doing a course like compsci should be done in a nice modern environment) and the lack of shops etc. Quite a trek to the town, especially since if I apply then it will be for Butler college which is even further out. Other than that I can't really complain, nice location especially.
Original post by JamieOH
I agree the area is very nice and the place has a good feel about it. Cons for me were the look of that computing building (imo doing a course like compsci should be done in a nice modern environment) and the lack of shops etc. Quite a trek to the town, especially since if I apply then it will be for Butler college which is even further out. Other than that I can't really complain, nice location especially.

The computer labs are in the engineering building I think, and I got told they went under refurbishment in 2013 so they're all modern and up-to-date :smile: x
Hey :smile: great idea to start this thread. I was at the open day yesterday. The course was phenomenal but it was such a busy day I didn't really get a feel for the place itself.
I'm applying for the combined social sciences course.
GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA
AS I'm doing English Lit, Geography, History, Philosophy.
Hoping for AAAA but AAAB is more likely...
The computer labs are in the engineering building I think, and I got told they went under refurbishment in 2013 so they're all modern and up-to-date :smile: x

Ah good. That was what I was asking earlier, I thought they mentioned it had moved into the engineering building but I wasnt sure. That's a relief :smile: x
Original post by JamieOH
Ah good. That was what I was asking earlier, I thought they mentioned it had moved into the engineering building but I wasnt sure. That's a relief :smile: x

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing a Natural Sciences degree with Computer Science and Chemistry modules. What about you? x
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing a Natural Sciences degree with Computer Science and Chemistry modules. What about you? x

Maths is my strong point so possibly joint CompSci with maths or just CompSci (:
Original post by JamieOH
Maths is my strong point so possibly joint CompSci with maths or just CompSci (:

Ah nice, I just want to keep my options open by doing a broader course :smile: x
Original post by JamieOH

After the talk we got taken on a mini tour thing. We went upstairs and there was a pretty modern feeling working area. Then we went over a bridge thing into what I think was a newer building that's shared with engineering (there was a race car hanging from the roof lol). It all seemed pretty modern to me. Then again I haven't been to any other open days yet so I have nothing to compare it to :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah nice, I just want to keep my options open by doing a broader course :smile: x

CompSci is probably broad enough by itself :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest