The Student Room Group

Russe group univercities that accept BTEC

Hello i am about to study level 3 BTEC IT so i was wondering which Russel group university accept students that choose the BTEC rout
Thank you all for your answers in advance :smile:
Depends what you want to do? A few of them do for some subjects. I asked Cardiff about it and then said they did accept them for a few subjects apart for like Law and Stuff. You really just need to look at the university and course you want to do individually.
Reply 2
Original post by holly1798
Depends what you want to do? A few of them do for some subjects. I asked Cardiff about it and then said they did accept them for a few subjects apart for like Law and Stuff. You really just need to look at the university and course you want to do individually.

I want to study computer science Gaming more specifically do you think that i have any chance of getting accepted into these courses
Reply 3
All the following accept BTEC for Computer Science unless where stated as only for IT:

Cardiff (D*D*D*)
Southampton (For IT) (DDD)
QMUL (D*DD)
UCL (For IT) (DDD)
Liverpool (D*DD)
Manchester (For IT) (D*DD)
Nottingham (DDM)
KCL (DDD)
Durham (For CS w/ Foundation)
Leeds (D*DD)
Newcastle
Birmingham (2015)

Others that accept combo of BTEC and Maths:

Oxford (DDD + A*)
Southampton(DDM + A)
Manchester
Sheffield (DDM + B)
Birmingham (2016> DDD + Maths or Comp)

Other good non russell groups that accept:

Surrey (DDD)
Bath (D*D*D*)
Royal Holloway (DDD)
Kent
Reading
UEA (DDM)

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
All the following accept BTEC for Computer Science unless where stated as only for IT:

Cardiff (D*D*D*)
Southampton (For IT) (DDD)
QMUL (D*DD)
UCL (For IT) (DDD)
Liverpool (D*DD)
Manchester (For IT) (D*DD)
Nottingham (DDM)
KCL (DDD)
Durham (For CS w/ Foundation)
Leeds (D*DD)
Newcastle
Birmingham (2015)

Others that accept combo of BTEC and Maths:

Oxford (DDD + A*)
Southampton(DDM + A)
Manchester
Sheffield (DDM + B)
Birmingham (2016> DDD + Maths or Comp)

Other good non russell groups that accept:

Surrey (DDD)
Bath (D*D*D*)
Royal Holloway (DDD)
Kent
Reading
UEA (DDM)

Hope this helps :smile:

Notts is DDD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman

Yeah i did that list from memory but i believe it might have been DDM a year or 2 ago?
Original post by yt7777
Yeah i did that list from memory but i believe it might have been DDM a year or 2 ago?

Yeah, the entry reqs have gone up for 2016. Standard A-level offer is AAA and AAB for those with Computing.
Reply 7
Original post by stefanos00o
Hello i am about to study level 3 BTEC IT so i was wondering which Russel group university accept students that choose the BTEC rout
Thank you all for your answers in advance :smile:

You might want to go with Newcastle. This is because they are the only RG university that offers a gaming pathway for their computer science courses.
Reply 8
Be wary most of them require Math A-level too. I have just firmed an offer from Sussex to do CS & AI, my offer was DDM with a B at GCSE maths.

Good luck to you though, they're completely changing the BTEC format as it was way too easy up until last year.
Reply 9
Original post by Silencion
they're completely changing the BTEC format as it was way too easy up until last year.

Yeah, so many people are failing now or only receiving passes/ a few merits. I do think that these new rules will help with entry into university though as now it requires students to do a lot more work and they aren't spoon fed everything. Students are also limited in their submissions. It will also show them that those who get the top grades such as D*D*D* are actually capable of the work required to get them.

Quick Reply