The Student Room Group

Why are only white and black people capable of making memorable music?

Ok, so this is a half serious question because I am half Asian, but it's impossible to deny that only white and black people make decent songs.

I don't think it's a racial thing, it must be a cultural thing which prevents anyone who is not white or black from being good at music.

Maybe Asians are just too uptight to make good music because of the insane expectations we face by parents? Lol
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Freddie Mercury was Persian. He made some of the msot memorable music.

Infact most black music is not memorable, it is very basic. Like Kanye West's music.
Reply 2
Gangnam Style?
Even though it's a white dominated world, the world is pretty much a centre stage between white and black people, white people being portrayed as dominant, black people being portrayed as victims and all other races being spectators or working behind the scenes. An extremely generalised statement but makes sense if you think about it logically.
Original post by Kingcobraxxx
Freddie Mercury was Persian. He made some of the msot memorable music.

Infact most black music is not memorable, it is very basic. Like Kanye West's music.

No, Freddie Mercury was mixed race European/Indian but he identified with UK culture. This is why I say it's not a racial thing. It must be a cultural thing.
Original post by capitalismstinks
Ok, so this is a half serious question because I am half Asian, but it's impossible to deny that only white and black people make decent songs.

I don't think it's a racial,thing, it must be a cultural thing which prevents anyone who is not white or black from being good at music.

Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

To say that people "who [are] not white or black" aren't good at music is crazy considering just how much Asian music HAS influenced Western music:

The Beatles:

Oasis:

The Rolling Stones:

(edited 8 years ago)
Many Asians, well South Asians, in the West aren't really encouraged or supported by their families to join the music industry. I don't think many Asians even see it as a possible career path.
No, Freddie Mercury was mixed race European/Indian but he identified with UK culture. This is why I say it's not a racial thing. It must be a cultural thing.

No he was Parsi.. this constitutes a group of Persian people who moved to India when islam spread to Iran. Just look at him and you will realise he is not indian.

Also another bonkers statement. I think the term "black music" is nonsensical anyway, but let's assume you mean music which has African or Caribbean origins or influences...in what ways are the blues, soul, reggae, ska etc "basic" or "not memorable"?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by enaayrah
Many Asians, well South Asians, in the West aren't really encouraged or supported by their families to join the music industry. I don't think many Asians even see it as a possible career path.

Same with Middle eastern culture
I don't listen to it. I think black people ruined music.

Now we have Beyonce saying ''smack it'' over and over and that is considered the top quality music.

Black people ruined music with their basic culture and overly sexualised music. I don't listen to any of it.

Okay, you're a racist bigot who knows nothing about musical history then. Fair enough.
The Japs and Indians have made some good music but it's not in english. It's memorable to their people moreso than others.

I don't think it's a racial thing, it must be a cultural thing which prevents anyone who is not white or black from being good at music.

Maybe Asians are just too uptight to make good music because of the insane expectations we face by parents? Lol

This is nothing to with Asians not being able to make good music. In fact, many "Asians" are actually extremely skilled in terms of music theory and do make very memorable music.

It is simply a matter of you not being exposed to it. Due to several obstacles such as language, availability and release platform, exposure to music from other cultures in the west is limited.

In fact, some of the catchiest songs I can think of are Japanese and Korean but the chances of seeing those on western music platforms like Heart.FM, for example, are virtually zero because for the vast majority, they are in a language they don't understand.

Don't be ignorant and assume that things don't exist simply because you are unaware of their existence. Your post actually comes across as pretty insulting, so be careful with what you're doing with your ignorance.
Original post by Tourminator
You obviously know very little about music history you cynical racist! Firstly it was from blues which all other music was then created. Without blues there would be pretty much no other music. Where did blues originate? Let me see.. the slave ship!

Secondly why are you blaming black people for the sexualisation of music. Traditionally music was dominated by record labels and to a significant extent still is today. Now in terms of promoting music and getting records to sell, females had to be seductive but that is prevalent across both white and black artists within the music industry. Blame the record labels who have the power. At the end of the day if there is no demand for it females/femininity and sex as a basis for music then it wouldn't be produced as they wouldn't make money.

Take a long hard look at yourself, you have a lot maturing to do and ignorance to let go of. At the end of the day pop music is popular for a reason- there is high demand for it.

I'm not being racist. It's just called telling the truth.

lol@ the whole black people invented music BS. Do you think anyone will really believe that. Yeh white music is the one that popularised twerking and all of this animalistic culture.
Jay Sean
He was doing second year of medicine at Queen Mary's and then he dropped out to start his career in music
Original post by Blue101010
--

Give a Youtube link of one of these catchy songs that can compete with Michael Jackson or Beatles.
Also think about Asian devotional sufi music, or Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan for example. Just don't listen to it cos music is haram :smile:

There is such category as 'world music', too.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not being racist. It's just called telling the truth.

lol@ the whole black people invented music BS. Do you think anyone will really believe that. Yeh white music is the one that popularised twerking and all of this animalistic culture.

The blues was the basis to rock and R&B, and most genres these days are spiritual evolutions of those two genres. Without the blues it's fairly safe to say that modern music wouldn't exist, and the blues was very much "black music" at the time.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
The blues was the basis to rock and R&B, and most genres these days are spiritual evolutions of those two genres. Without the blues it's fairly safe to say that modern music wouldn't exist, and the blues was very much "black music" at the time.

If you believe that you probably think Ancient Egypt was a black civilization too.
If you believe that you probably think Ancient Egypt was a black civilization too.

Okay Robert Johnson was clearly a white dude :rolleyes:

Original post by MJlover
Also think about Asian devotional sufi music, or Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan for example. Just don't listen to it cos music is haram :smile:

More awesomeness for Islam :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending