The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by N123456789
Hi - would you recommend any books on the financial crisis (that tell you how it occurred and the lessons learnt) and its a book which is concise and easy to read for a level students? Is there any other books that you recommend to read for wider reading? Thanks.

"This time is different" by Reinhart and Rogoff.
I read the relevant parts this year and it's pretty simple and insightful on the 2008 financial crisis and many others.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Aj_16
If you are looking for a studio, your best bet is probably urbanest Hoxton however you would have to take the train (approximately - 29 minute journey time). Your budget is high so that is probably the best option.
Bankside is also good but it's much cheaper than your budget - circa 200.
I'd personally rule out Tufnell house as it's the furthest away.

And how about Woodland House by Prodigy Living? I have heard great things about Prodigy, plus they have a gym on site, which is great because I am a fitness freak.

I looked up Hoxton and the area seems to have a notorious reputations in terms of crimes and stabbing incidents.
Hey everyone, I am starting postgrad this year, but was wondering about accommodation. I'd like to keep it under 200/pw, can anyone give me advice on what my best option would be? Is uni accommodation the cheapest option? Thanks!
Reply 264
Hi there,

I would imagine that this question has already come up before, but I am concerned by the number of people who have told me that the LSE is a very lonely place and that it is very difficult to have a social life there. Is that true?
Original post by umbala
Hi there,

I would imagine that this question has already come up before, but I am concerned by the number of people who have told me that the LSE is a very lonely place and that it is very difficult to have a social life there. Is that true?

Nah.
How do you rate my chances for the BSc Finance @ LSE;
2A's, 4B's 4C's at GCSE
B,C,D A Level
Completed 1st year of uni
Planning to resit A Levels (Maths, Law, Econ + AS Further Maths), can obtain A*AA predicted
Excellent (imo) extra curricular activities etc.
Reply 267
Original post by umbala
Hi there,

LSE is what you make of it much like many other universities. If you want to have a good time and are good with time management - there is no reason why you can't.
Hi,

I'm starting my postgraduate at LSE this September and I've been offered housing at Urbanest Kings Cross. I'm also looking into other private student accommodation buildings such as Nido, Westminster Bridge Student Accommodation, Urbanest Tower Bridge, and a few more. In which building am I most likely to meet the most number of LSE students?
Original post by umbala
Hi there,

I use to be scared by this quite often before I came to LSE. Honestly speaking, there are things to do everywhere. It is London. You will find things to do, and people you like hanging out with. In first year, dozens of people will go out clubbing a few times every week if that is your thing.

On a personal note, I did have quite an alienating first year, but that was me coming to face with my self, and realising I wasn't the confident, independent person I thought I was. But that's something people will experience at every university.

I found fellow Northerns, fellow ex-Muslims, and a bunch of people interested in political philosophy at uni. You will find people you have common ground with. It is upto you to meet them!
Beyond the academics, going through university is very much a journey of self discovery.
You can get those stats easily from LSE webpage. I think it is around 45%.
I've been hearing that people who applied to LSE can get their acceptance like a week before Results Day.

Is this true?
Reply 274
Hey, thanks for the thread that you've kept for so long, hopefully your still here!

I am interested in Accounting & Finance. Anything that you would comment about it? Teachers? People there? Requirements? Anything. Thanks a lot :smile:
(I think I will get 39 (+1) at IB, got 3A* and only As in IGCSE (did extra subjects))
Original post by Holdaboss
Thanks I understand you probably do not have specific knowledge on admissions, was just hoping you may know a student with slightly lower GCSEs! :P

If it's meant to be it's meant to be I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I got much worse GCSE grades than you with only 3-4 A's majority of Bs and only 1 A* in maths, including a grade C in GCSE English Language where LSE require a grade B but it still didn't stop me getting an offer to study maths with eco there. I'm currently going into my second year this year having achieved a 1st for my first year.
My AS levels were: Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Chemistry (A) and computing (B)
and A Levels: Maths (A*), Further Maths (A) and chemistry (A)...barely just met my offer but apparently, quite a few people missed their offer in my year and still got accepted by LSE...like one of my friends doing accounting ended up with AABB with a B in maths and still got accepted, achieving a 2:1 in their first year! So all you have to do is make an awesome PS and put in the hours to get good A Levels...hope it helps! :biggrin:

P.S. Feel free to "give rep" to me by going on my profile haha if it helped :smile:
Reply 276
Original post by #Unknown
Hey, I got much worse GCSE grades than you with only 3-4 A's majority of Bs and only 1 A* in maths, including a grade C in GCSE English Language where LSE require a grade B but it still didn't stop me getting an offer to study maths with eco there. I'm currently going into my second year this year having achieved a 1st for my first year.
My AS levels were: Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Chemistry (A) and computing (B)
and A Levels: Maths (A*), Further Maths (A) and chemistry (A)...barely just met my offer but apparently, quite a few people missed their offer in my year and still got accepted by LSE...like one of my friends doing accounting ended up with AABB with a B in maths and still got accepted, achieving a 2:1 in their first year! So all you have to do is make an awesome PS and put in the hours to get good A Levels...hope it helps! :biggrin:

P.S. Feel free to "give rep" to me by going on my profile haha if it helped :smile:

Congrats on getting into LSE and getting a 1st in your first year!

Any tips for the personal statement? I heard that it's one of the most important things for LSE
Original post by h3110
Congrats on getting into LSE and getting a 1st in your first year!

Any tips for the personal statement? I heard that it's one of the most important things for LSE

Tbh, I didn't think think I'd get an offer with my personal statement since I didn't even meet their minimum requirements of a grade B in English Language so I guess this shows how much they emphasise on the PS cos it must have been quite good for them to accept me. What I did for my PS, was to first look at other student's PS who got into oxbridge studying maths etc. and looked at the content they included:

- Awesome starting paragraph which entices you to read further about your passion for the subject (for me it was maths and I kind of hinted its relevance to economics vaguely - only point in the PS when I even mentioned anything economics related lol)
- Talk about your extra curriculars in next paragraph and the subjects you study and what in particular interests you (like I talked about my passion for pure maths and demonstrated this by reading a relevant book and talking about what it entailed etc.) Also talk about achievements like for example, I took the UKMT Mathematics challenge and got a silver award.
- Your final paragraph really is summarising your key strengths and answering the question of "Why you would be perfect for this course?"

Hope this helps!

P.S. just reminding about the rep again haha ...kinda like how they do at the end of youtube vids :P
Reply 278
Original post by #Unknown
Tbh, I didn't think think I'd get an offer with my personal statement since I didn't even meet their minimum requirements of a grade B in English Language so I guess this shows how much they emphasise on the PS cos it must have been quite good for them to accept me. What I did for my PS, was to first look at other student's PS who got into oxbridge studying maths etc. and looked at the content they included:

- Awesome starting paragraph which entices you to read further about your passion for the subject (for me it was maths and I kind of hinted its relevance to economics vaguely - only point in the PS when I even mentioned anything economics related lol)
- Talk about your extra curriculars in next paragraph and the subjects you study and what in particular interests you (like I talked about my passion for pure maths and demonstrated this by reading a relevant book and talking about what it entailed etc.) Also talk about achievements like for example, I took the UKMT Mathematics challenge and got a silver award.
- Your final paragraph really is summarising your key strengths and answering the question of "Why you would be perfect for this course?"

Hope this helps!

P.S. just reminding about the rep again haha ...kinda like how they do at the end of youtube vids :P

Thanks for the reply! I gave you +1 positive rating on your comment, is that what you mean by rep?
Is there much point in me applying for economics?

IGCSE: 8A*s 3As
AS levels (just started) Biology Chemistry Math History

Thanksss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending