The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Now we have a solid goalkeeper to go with our solid defensive line, I expect us to achieve second this season, with a good QF run in the Champions League. City are aging and dropping players like Milner but still deadly, United are dysfunctional but have the ability in their first team, and Spurs/Liverpool are cack with a few decent players apiece. I still can't see us getting past Mourinho's Chelsea unless we can sort out consistency and tactics, two things Mourinho appears to be way better at than Wenger. Oh, and all of our players not getting injured in the first two months would be great as well.
Great signing. Easiest deal of the window to predict after Cech said he wanted it, but that's a wonderful piece of business from Wenger.
Original post by Zürich
If we had RVP 2011/12 for this season we'd absolutely walk the title in all honesty.

Walcott is capable of a 20 goal season and obviously Sanchez is 20+ and so even with Giroud burning hot and cold we may have enough firepower up top as is. Ramsey having another Lampard season would help too.

Goalscoring ability:

20+ : Walcott, Sanchez
15+ : Giroud
10+ : Welbeck, Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil (ability, not shown)

We definitely have strength in terms of scoring goals from the wings and midfield. If we can keep Walcott and Sanchez fit, we can easily score enough.
Giroud is easily worth at least 20 goals a season all comps
Original post by Arkasia
Goalscoring ability:

20+ : Walcott, Sanchez
15+ : Giroud
10+ : Welbeck, Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil (ability, not shown)

We definitely have strength in terms of scoring goals from the wings and midfield. If we can keep Walcott and Sanchez fit, we can easily score enough.

Walcott may have scored 21 in 2012-13, but he's only managed 27 PL games in two seasons since then and it's hard to see him ever scoring that amount again in truth.

That was one exceptional season, and it's certainly not his norm or mean figure even when fully fit.

He's only managed to get out of single figures three times in ten years of being at Arsenal, and twice was only to reach the lofty heights of 11 goals and 13 respectively.
Original post by Mackay
Great signing. Easiest deal of the window to predict after Cech said he wanted it, but that's a wonderful piece of business from Wenger.

:yep:
In Arsene we trust:biggrin:
You lot scare the **** out of me. If Wenger buys a DM then the leagues yours, still think you'll get raped if you go into big games with Coquelin at DM.
Gabriel Paulista should start ahead of Mertesacker for the biggest games in all honesty too. Got to take a few risks if we're going to compete
Original post by Mackay
Walcott may have scored 21 in 2012-13, but he's only managed 27 PL games in two seasons since then and it's hard to see him ever scoring that amount again in truth.

That was one exceptional season, and it's certainly not his norm or mean figure even when fully fit.

He's only managed to get out of single figures three times in ten years of being at Arsenal, and twice was only to reach the lofty heights of 11 goals and 13 respectively.

I understand that, and I did specify that he has the ability to score 20+, not that he definitely would. I hate to pull this excuse out because it seems such a cop-out, but Wenger has been shoving him onto the wings for most of his career. Whenever Walcott plays centrally, he seems to shine, so I think that if we play him as our striker, and he manages to stay fit (big if there), then I think he can score 20. Same reason I think Ozil can hit double figures in a season even though he hasn't for us yet - he has the ability.
20 from Walcott is extremely optimistic
Original post by Zürich
Gabriel Paulista should start ahead of Mertesacker for the biggest games in all honesty too. Got to take a few risks if we're going to compete

Man has spent over 6 months here and he still can't speak any English, what's up with that?
Original post by difeo
20 from Walcott is extremely optimistic

Very extremely optimistic, highly biased, and a tad naive.
Original post by difeo
Jam is the worst predictor on here

Nah he's trolling. When it comes to match predictions he's usually spot on.
Don't think Arsenal are winning the title, when was the last time the title was won without a good striker, rather through a collection of goals? Like a decade ago, indication of the probability. Team isn't as good as Chelsea's and neither is the manager, second best in the league though no doubt. If Chelsea got a long term issue with Costa then they could lack that goalscorer but other than that I can't see it.

CL is a crapshoot this year unless you're a Champion, no guarantees of where you'll finish, because of the variation in the quality of sides you can face early on. Actually agree with Depleted, Coq won't cut it at the bleeding edge unless we see a big step up, he's not good enough and neither are the players in front of him to play a near Makalele role.

Chelsea, Arsenal, City, United/Liverpool will be the top 4 imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
Man has spent over 6 months here and he still can't speak any English, what's up with that?

Not that uncommon with South Americans. Tevez, Aguero never learned and Suarez never got that far. Sanchez basically doesnt speak a word either but seems to manage. Got to understand that these guys grew up in ghetto parts of S.America and probably never had any contact with English at all and probably dont really like having to take lessons either.
Arsenal won't win the title cuz they are sh*t as **** in the big games. Calm down ppl.
Jam gas lvl: 100
You need a WC striker. Walcott and Giroud aint gonna cut it.
Original post by Zürich
Not that uncommon with South Americans. Tevez, Aguero never learned and Suarez never got that far. Sanchez basically doesnt speak a word either but seems to manage. Got to understand that these guys grew up in ghetto parts of S.America and probably never had any contact with English at all and probably dont really like having to take lessons either.

That's true, and I suppose having a bunch of players who are either Spanish or from the Spanish league helps team communication. Still though, on their wages, you'd hope they can put in the effort to hire a professional to give them a crash course. I understand not being fluent in the language, but apparently Gabriel can't even say the basics.
Original post by Numan786
Nah he's trolling. When it comes to match predictions he's usually spot on.

He's not at all though

Brb Chelsea will murk PSG
Brb Liverpool will beat United

Brb all wrong
Just make your yearly big signing from Spain Benzema and you'll win it
Original post by Arkasia
I understand that, and I did specify that he has the ability to score 20+, not that he definitely would. I hate to pull this excuse out because it seems such a cop-out, but Wenger has been shoving him onto the wings for most of his career. Whenever Walcott plays centrally, he seems to shine, so I think that if we play him as our striker, and he manages to stay fit (big if there), then I think he can score 20. Same reason I think Ozil can hit double figures in a season even though he hasn't for us yet - he has the ability.

Ah I see. Didn't realise that.

Yeah, agreed. Walcott is far more effective centrally.

Latest