The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelfox
Ozil's English is decent, he's just doesn't speak out in public too often.7

Whether or not it's an exaggeration, in one of Arsenal's cringey videos, Gabriel can't even say the basics like you say, doesn't seem to have affected his performances as of yet though.

ya Gunners ya
Original post by Lúcio
sturridge will be injured
sterling will be at man city

coutinho, firmino and our new striker will be the key players in our season.
a slow start puts us out of it for good - as many have said, we could go without an away win until december.

A slow start puts you out of it? Both Arsenal and United had horrendous starts last season, and look where they ended up. Your midfield looks pacey and threatening, and it honestly doesn't take much to get into the top 5 (Spurs managed it), you just need one player on worldie form, and a bunch of others to be on good form. You might make top 4 if one of City or United slip.
Ozil doesn't even need to talk to anyone, he just has a telepathic football brain that enables him to know at all times where all players are and where they are gonna be next.
Original post by Arkasia
A slow start puts you out of it? Both Arsenal and United had horrendous starts last season, and look where they ended up. Your midfield looks pacey and threatening, and it honestly doesn't take much to get into the top 5 (Spurs managed it), you just need one player on worldie form, and a bunch of others to be on good form. You might make top 4 if one of City or United slip.

well yeah.
normally in a slow start you'd drop unexpected points but still grind out some other results.
but this time we have all our toughest games in the first half of the season so if we start slow, you can guarantee we're losing most/all of them.

we might bring it back a little after xmas but i feel like we'd just be too far behind - we aren't consistent enough under rodgers anyway...

chelsea and arsenal are more or less certain to get top 4 imo.
city are declining but i feel like they'll still make it too.
the only hope is that united just mess everything up again - let's be honest, they didn't have a great season, and it was more a case of us messing up than anything else.
we had ample opportunity to take back 4th place, even after we lost to them; we crumbled and gave up and that's why i have no confidence in us.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Ozil doesn't even need to talk to anyone, he just has a telepathic football brain that enables him to know at all times where all players are and where they are gonna be next.

coutinho > ozil
Original post by Lúcio
well yeah.
normally in a slow start you'd drop unexpected points but still grind out some other results.
but this time we have all our toughest games in the first half of the season so if we start slow, you can guarantee we're losing most/all of them.

we might bring it back a little after xmas but i feel like we'd just be too far behind - we aren't consistent enough under rodgers anyway...

chelsea and arsenal are more or less certain to get top 4 imo.
city are declining but i feel like they'll still make it too.
the only hope is that united just mess everything up again - let's be honest, they didn't have a great season, and it was more a case of us messing up than anything else.
we had ample opportunity to take back 4th place, even after we lost to them; we crumbled and gave up and that's why i have no confidence in us.

True, but at least this way you can start slowly and have an excuse. Let's be honest here, even with a normal start, you wouldn't expect to get many points from those games. As long as you dominated the bottom 12 teams, and grind out results against United, I dont see why you can't pull it back after a slow start.

Original post by Lúcio
coutinho > ozil

pls dont do dis
We aren't finishing below Liverpool. Not even debatable tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I still think we're a few finishing touches away from being title challengers, I can see us coming second and having a good season but regardless of our squad, we still struggle vs mid table teams eg Swansea and Stoke

We can finish 2nd with Giroud up front but that doesn't mean we wouldn't be severely limited without an upgrade. Would love to buy the likes of Lacazette or just another striker. I don't even think DM is that necessary tbh, Coquelin has been over hyped but that doesn't mean he's half as bad as some of you guys are making out to be. We'll be just fine in big games if Coquelin is on the pitch actually.

I would still buy a DM though so that Coquelin becomes a rotation option, and in that case add a striker and we'd have such a complete team.

Original post by sr90
We aren't finishing below Liverpool. Not even debatable tbh.Posted from TSR Mobile

Think there's too much hype around Liverpool's signings at the moment. They've signed 5 players already and only 2 of them (at a push) are even convincing. Even with all these signings they don't really come close to taking anyone out of the current top 4, yet Chelsea, UTD ,City, and likely Arsenal are yet to haul in more players.

Liverpool will remain a Europa league club for another year. If City have a good window then they're ****ed
(edited 8 years ago)
Why has no one picked up on the Lacazette rumours though? Apparently offered to us for £20m which is ridiculous and i highly doubt it, but he'd be a great signing none the less

Also LOL at the people saying we don't need Vidal. For the price that's been rumoured you'd be ****ing crazy not to go for that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Also LOL at the people saying we don't need Vidal. For the price that's been rumoured you'd be ****ing crazy not to go for that.

Ornstein has already said there's no Arsenal interest, that make sense since the fee is abnormally low. I hope we can still pull off MS
Original post by sevchenko
Ornstein has already said there's no Arsenal interest, that make sense since the fee is abnormally low. I hope we can still pull off MS

I am still gobsmacked that Wenger has passed on him

Posted from TSR Mobile
MS isn't gonna happen, if he was desperate for Arsenal he would have begged for a move last summer, its pretty obvious that its all about wages. We could match whatever Utd offer in terms of transfer fee but they could offer higher wages and thats central to this transfer it seems.
Reply 2852
Original post by AR_95
Why has no one picked up on the Lacazette rumours though? Apparently offered to us for £20m which is ridiculous and i highly doubt it, but he'd be a great signing none the less

We don't need Vidal, he'll be good - yes, but its a luxury signing if it happens.

We need a DM and striker more than a B2B right now
I think Cech will be our only signing this summer.
Reply 2854
We obviously shouldn't be optimisitic about our injury issues but I think that next season they'll be less harsh on us. The new medical team where never going to get the injury issues resolved in the first season, it would always take time. Most of the injuries to our players are recurring injuries & with the right therapy, they would take longer to heal.

Think last season was a detox tbh, so hopefully next season we won't see Wilshere out with an ankle injury and so on.

Next season will really show how successful this new medical team has been imo.
Original post by Lúcio
u wot?

are you terrified of us somehow clicking or are you that pessimistic about your own team?
You ran us close last season, so the gap is not huge for a start. I think we had room for improvement as the season went on, but so did Liverpool and without Sturridge's goals to mask that. With his goals the gap would most likely have been even closer. So I don't think there was a huge difference at the end of this season.

I don't think its much to say in terms of maintenance to the squad you've had a better window than us. A players like Clyne (assuming he didn't fail that medical) adds much more to you first XI than a player like Depay does for us. You're going from Johnson to Clyne, or being able to move Can, we're going from Di Maria/Young to Depay. I think because the players you've signed are players like Ings there is less hype although its a lack of those type players in Balo and Lambert last year that cost you dearly without Sturridge. Depay for us, how much better is he going to be than Di Maria or beast Young, and still doesn't solve issues like CB or CM that we have. I'm really glad we've signed him, but I don't think he means much in the immediate term, considering who he would be displacing.

If a deal like Schneiderlin happens up I'll be a lot more confident, because that type signing that would directly improve our XI and allow us to perform to a higher level more often, without having to worry about form being derailed like it was end of the season with Carrick's injury. There was a clear difference between on form United and off form United last season. To ensure to top we need signing that will stop the issues that lead to our poor play occurring again.

You could lose Sterling which would be a blow but we could lose DDG yet which would also be a blow so I'm trying not so speculate on signings, and judge things on knowns.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AR_95

Well the rumoured price just makes it even less real. Juve don't need the money so whats their motivation for getting taken to the cleaners?

It's still Chelsea's title anyways no matter what we do.
https://twitter.com/gianluigibuffon/status/615585686310244352

Buffon refers to us as The Arsenal

Respect.
Original post by AR_95

If anyone got Lacazette for £20m after the season he had, I'd be utterly shocked. He won't go for any less than £29/£30m, and probably for a lot more. Agree with Vidal though, people saying they wouldn't take him for £21m just smacks me of someone who wants to be controversial to seem intelligent.
"Petr has been amazing for Chelsea, He wanted to stay in London so he has gone to a rival but most importantly not a title rival." - Jose.

Latest